I wrote a post for today, but my word processor crashed before I could save it.
Here is the gist of what I wrote:
Birthers = people who believe Obama was not born in the United States, so he cannot be President
in other words:
Birthers = stupid
Now, it is ok to question your government and question what people tell you, but when those people present you with substantial evidence to prove you are WRONG, then I think it's time to concede defeat.
However, some people refuse to do so. In fact, I am embarrassed to admit that some United States Congressmen are unable to admit that Obama is the rightful President.
One recently called for Obama's long form birth certificate. Obama has released a copy of the short form, but apparently that isn't good enough.
It is my belief that Obama does not have a long form birth certificate, and he does not have one because Hawaii did not issue them at the time of his birth.
My Mom is from Hawaii, and she was born 2 years before Obama was born, and she says her birth certificate is smaller than a paper napkin.
My mom is a citizen, has a passport, and has had federal authorities review her birth certificate. The short form is good enough for her, so why isn't it enough for Obama?
He is a citizen. If he weren't, it would have come out a long time ago. This whole issue just needs to go away because it makes Americans look stupid and stubborn.
18 comments:
The ugly reality is that many people in our country can't accept the concept of change. And they'll do anything to undermine and delegitimize whatever represents the currents of change, even if it means questioning the citizenship of their own president. I would argue the whole debacle with health care over the last few months has as much to do with Obama's ethnicity as health care policy-related matters themselves. Hence you have people crying things like, "I want my country back!" at numerous health care rallies / town hall meetings across the country. What the hell is that supposed to mean? Going back to a health care system where people are denied coverage and left to suffer if they don't meet certain prerequisites? I think not. The implied (and sometimes blatant) message is they want to go back to a country with white male presidents who come from "the heartland" and who advocate "family values." And anyone who differs from that norm is a threat to the established order, the good ol' American way. It's all a very sad state of affairs, really.
Well said, Mr. Gagaa
Jason, where's the issue? The birthers are a crackpot fringe group, like the Klan. The problem is that the mere existence of these extremists is being falsly used by the White House to discredit the great number of mainstrean Americans, especially older Americans, who are scared that Obama and his spread the wealth agenda are going to bankrupt them and the country. Whether he's white, black, green or purple, Obama is in all probability a socialist. Calling those who oppose his agenda racists, "tea baggers" and nut jobs has in my judgment become the new last refuge of scoundrels.
Yes I agree with you about that Jason.
Disagree with Obama is fine, use the same political lies isn't fine but politicians have no morals but saying Obama isn't President is just plain stupid and those people should just shut up and stay away from in form of media for the rest of their lives.
I mean come on this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard about not liking a politician
Ok rant over going to look at Benz for a little while
"Birthers" are the fringe Right equivalent of those on the fringe Left that insist Bush was not the rightful president after the 2000 election debacle. Political zealots, like religious zealots believe what they want to believe, and no amount of proof to the contrary, no matter how compelling, will dissuade them from being ignorant.
BTW, what is wrong with a little socialism? Many Americans seem to confuse socialism with communism, and capitalism with democracy. The US will never become a communist state, nor will we enjoy an entirely capitalist economy. The US will always be a democracy, and will hopefully evolve to be more socialistic than capitalistic.
seriously, ppl are fucking done.
J,
I would argue that Obama is not a socialist in the pure sense of the word. I would admit that he has some socialist tendencies, but I would never characterize him as "far-left."
In fact, I would accept a statement such as "he is going to bankrupt the country" as being more valid than "Obama is in all probability a socialist."
You see, the first statement has concrete evidence: enormous budget deficits.
The second statement is not backed up with much solid evidence. In fact, there is considerable evidence that he is not because of the policies he did not submit to Congress. He could have proposed price controls of health care or seized ownership of health care institutions, but he did not.
I have yet to see redistribution of wealth. Yes, taxes were raised by 5% on those making over $400,00 per year. That is an additional $20,000 per year. That doesn't look like major redistribution to me.
Economically, I do not have too many complaints. The only complaint I have is over the tariff increase on Chinese tires. Hopefully Obama will resist protectionist pressures as time goes on. I also hope that the WTO will rule against the USA in this matter.
Just one question to those 'birthers' who say he was born in Kenya.....show us the birth certificate from Kenya!!!
@ Midnight
I think a right wing website has this so called birth certificate
Some people give the human race a terrible name. Then again, we as a species have a pretty terrible track record as is.
Why isn't the short form good enough for Obama?
He's an n-word, would be my guess. It's fucking despicable that people still think this way.
I saw footage of people saying stuff prior to the election like, "I'm not a racist or anything; I just don't think a black man should be President."
How on Earth is that not racist?
Regrettably Obama hasn't told us exactly what his plan is for health care; he says he'll leave it to the Congress. But we know he did endorse the "government option" which places the government in direct competition with the health care insurers. Do you trust the government to run anything efficiently, since Social Security and Medicare are nearly bankrupt? And look what the government did with housing? Every man the king of his own castle brought us Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, mortgage derivatives, and now the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
Why doesn't he start by permitting insurers to market nationally rather than leaving insurance regulations to 50 different states? Then there really would be competition.
And what about his cap and trade legislation? I agree this misguided bureaucratic nightmare will act as an effective tax on all energy use in this country, at a time when the people can't afford it and China and India will remain free to trade without such impediments.
I don't worry that much about Obama's ultimate effect, because he has proved himself a sophomore and a legislative rookie, and probably a one-term president. He showed that when he used a prime time press conference that was supposed to deal with the health care initiative to pick a fight with the Cambridge, MA police. And we should thank the young journalists that exposed Acorn for what it is. If they and a few true investigatory journalists keep at it, we might fill in some of Obama's rat holes soon after they are created.
By the way, don't expect any true reporting to come from the NY Times or any of the stateside news magazines. When you read the Wall Street Journal and the Economist you are getting information from the best out there, although the Washington Post is now showing some of its old spark.
lets see
Public stuff is really socialist. We all pay for what we all need or can use. Highways, public schools, defense dept, cops, medicare, social security, etc.
its just all words for people who are angry to use to vent. rationality or facts mean nothing.
I don't know anyone other than the most extreme of libertarians that doesn't think that providing for the common defense, public schools, police, fire and rescue departments and regulation of interstate and foreign commerce aren't legitimate and necessary government functions. What doesn't work well are programs designed to perfect our lives through social engineering, and those that have their origins in the redifinition of privileges as rights.
This whole issue just needs to go away because it makes Americans look stupid and stubborn.
No, it makes people look racist, which is really what this is all about.
Jason
who is this guy asking for the birth cerificate
its such a waste of time to do this he is the guy and that is it
take care and be safe
bob
There are those of us around the world who seriously question the right of USA to talk about democracy.
It is patent that The Republican Party is incapable of accepting the result of elections,and use all means to subvert the electoral will of the people.Their behaviour under Democratic Presidents has been consistently destructive.
We dont even need to examine the 'election' of George W.Bush to ask how US has the neck to roll around the world claiming to promote democracy.
Post a Comment