Thursday, September 10, 2009

Healthcare and Spanish

I watched Obama's speech yesterday. I thought it was a good speech. I liked analyzing when Senators and Representatives stood up to clap. I noticed that very few Republicans stood up when Obama said that the “Death Panel” claim was a complete lie.

This actually troubled me because I have read the paragraph from the legislation in question, and I did not see anything suggesting a death panel, and I am concerned that Republicans did not applaud the end of misinformation.

I am not healthcare expert, and I don't pretend to be, so I won't talk more about it. However, I will add that my Economics class is analyzing healthcare in America, and our homework was to read this article. I actually support the plan proposed in the article.

The plan proposed goes against what the Democrats are saying and it goes against what the Republicans are saying. It is also fairly radical, but I think it will get us back to a free market economy in regards to healthcare. I highly suggest reading it if you are interested.


I am dropping Spanish. Don't worry Steve, this isn't senioritis. I am dropping my AP class and taking the Honors class. First of all, I suck at Spanish, and I am taking Spanish 5 Literature AP. I think English Literature causes enough problems, so I have no idea why I am taking Spanish Literature.

On top of that, we have this German exchange student who is fluent in Spanish, and this is like an 8th grade class to him. He spends his time talking at a mile-a-minute about God knows what. In fact, I am very proud when I understand him, which occasionally happens.

However, I feel completely inferior compared to him. I can barely read Spanish, much less analyze it. Also, we have to read a story per night, and I simply cannot handle that. Today, I have two notes in my notebook:

“I feel stupid” and “Yo quiero dropar esta clase”

Also, the class does not interest me. I'd rather take Spanish 5 Honors, which is about Spanish history, so I will start that class on Friday.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to say anything about healtcare I know you will get an ear full from some readers

Consider yourself lucky I barely grasped Spanish and dropped the whole thing after my 2nd year but I am glad that I learned a little bit
(though I can't even speak a thing)

Jason Carwin said...

Yes, I expect an earful. Hopefully they will email me or message me on msn instead of taking the time to clog up this comments thread.

Jason Carwin said...

comments are no good for debates.

Mr. Urs said...

I love Spanish but I also terribly suck at it. This is not good when you are married to a Mexican and you can hardly talk with your relatives. Soy un caso perdido.

Anonymous said...

Well since you said that Jason that should happen

Pilgrim said...

To my knowledge in SoCalhighschools spanish is obligatory. Prpoz Pilgrim

Anonymous said...

Buena idea! ;)

Aek said...

That's an interesting (yet long) article. It certainly gets one thinking. I was discussing this with my pharmacist friend, and neither of us could give a good reason for why it the supply/demand idea doesn't work so well in health.

Anyway, is the Spanish 5 Honors class taught in Spanish?

Dzyan said...

Jaja, OK, sorry for my laugher but I don`t think even I speak spanish at a proper level and I'm mexican born and raised. But you need any help there I assure you I can help, no german boy is making fun of my man Carwin, that's for sure, still, better luck at spanish history, I can give you a spoiler (in whispers) *it's not that great* :)

Love
Me

naturgesetz said...

It's a sign of wisdom to realize when you've taken on more than you can handle and to step back to something you can succeed at.

The applauding thing works both ways. When we had a Republican President, the Democrats wouldn't stand and applaud anything he said, except in the context of 9/11. It's unfortunate, but that's the way partisan politics works for both parties.

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how useful spanish is, since there are soooo many Mexican and other latinos every where I go.

Unfortunately I took French in High School and can read it un petit peu but cannot converse too well.

The only place that is useful is Cajun Louisiana. But the cajuns are illiterate. It is a spoken dialect of French.

So I am screwed and I cannot event say it in French.

My French teacher would say "Tu parle francais comme une vache espagnol."

But I can French kiss pretty good.

Jason Carwin said...

lol. thanks for that comment, Wet Kyle.