The plan was as follows:
1) Eat dinner with my parents
2) Let my brothers leave the table, and I stay back and continue conversing with my parents.
3) Wait for a break in the conversation and then insert the coming out thing. I wanted to start along the lines of, "So, I have been meaning to tell you guys this for a long time now, and I don't know if this will come as a surprise or not, but I need to tell you that I am gay."
Twice, there were moments when I could have inserted myself, but I didn't. I wasn't terribly nervous during the conversation, but when I was presented with the opportunity, I could never dredge up the courage.
Finally, I was about to launch into it when my little brother rushed into the kitchen and demanded that my mom put him to bed. This was rather annoying because my little brother is nine already, and he should be able to do this on his own. Furthermore, it was 10 minutes past his bed time, so he was already way out of line.
After that, my parents dispersed and I lost my chance. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to come out tonight. In fact, I am going to head upstairs now and try that.
EDIT: I went upstairs and hung out there for a while, but my dad wasn't there, so it looks like no go for tonight.
15 comments:
Good luck :) It isn't easy but in the long run, it will make your life so much easier.
Well it's a start at least and I'm wishing you well on coming out
Good Luck
Ethan
You're trying man, that's what it takes. One of the tries will be successful, and that's also what matters.
Well I wish you luck. I still haven't been able to muster up the courage and I've thought about it for almost 10 years now...
Good Luck and I can't wait to hear how (hopefully) wonderfully it goes!
Steve
There will be more opportunities, and sometime you may have the nerve to tell them. But it's understandable that you're hesitant, so don't feel bad when you miss an opportunity. Just wait for another.
Awww, that's like, anti-deus ex machina, with your brother coming like that.
The opportunity will present itself again, just seize it when it does. Best of luck man!! I know it can't be easy, even if you're not feeling particularly nervous.
Don't sweat it. You've got time to make sure you do it the way you want. Best of luck! It's not easy, no matter what age you are.
Jason have you thought about perhaps putting your thoughts into a letter? And putting your letter in place within your home where your mom and dad could read it privately without distractions? You have an excellent command of the English language, and perhaps you might feel more comfortable saying things on paper rather than trying to express your feelings face to face with your parents.
Hey Jason it's me again. I was just thinking that writing a letter to your parents will give them time to digest privately what you say in your letter without the shock and awe of saying it to them face to face. Of course you might be a nervous wreck waiting to hear back from them in response to your letter.
Either way, good luck to you bro.
Ok, so take it easy there boy, no one´s rushing you into coming out to anyone. You see, coming out is an act of both love and trust, it means you love someone so much you are willing to share with them and incorporate them into your life, means you trust them enough as to let yourself exposed to them just because they are an important part of your life. Coming out it's not about how fast you come out, it's about taking people to know you intimately because you love each other, and I believe your parents love you as no one will ever do, so breathe deep and take things slowly, no one's going to think less of you because you don't come out today or tomorrow, all that matters is you and you feel confident enough and sure enough that you want to take this step, besides, you have a lot of people that cares for you, just look at the list of comments and they all wish you the best, and I'm among that list of people who cares, so all things in due time, whenever you feel you have to then do it :) take care
Love
me
You've decided you're going to tell them and tell them now. Well done!
You will get the chance - and next time you will find the courage.
Hope it goes well from there.
I can´t help it but to say, who has no problems, creates one.
Good luck man, but don't feel too pressured to get it right, or even out there. It'll happen when you're good and ready, even though it does sound like you're just about there.
I hope everything goes swimmingly.
The best of luck, mate.
All the best,
Phil
IDK. I remember a Sinefeld episode where Jerry tells his mother that dad is having an affair. She gets all pissed and says she knew about it and now that its in the open she's gotta act pissed and deal with it.
I remember telling my dad that I smoked weed when I was in college and he said he knew but if he admitted to me that he knew about it I might be more open about smoking it instead of sneaking it.
If you are close to your parents, they probably know. If you knew that they knew, you might bring guys over.
Sometimes the unsaid speaks the most. Be careful, my friend, because you can't take it back.
Post a Comment