Sunday, August 2, 2009

Gay Stereotypes List (Day 1)

I have compiled a list of stereotypes related to gay men and homosexuality. I know I forgot a number of stereotypes, so if you know one that got left off, please leave a comment and I will add that stereotype to the list. Currently, we have 83 stereotypes on the list, so let's see if we can reach 100.

This list will serve as the basis for our discussion on stereotypes. I know that this post isn't terribly interesting on its own, but it is a good place to start. This is what I referred to earlier as the “say” level.

The list of gay stereotypes:

Gay Men...
1) want to be the center of attention
2) have a serious lisp
3) are momma's boys
4) think sports are boring
5) are obsessed with fashion
6) love to dance
8) are incompetent at running machinery
9) tell their families last
10) are clean
11) always have a trusty girl pal by their side
12) have a limp wrist
13) bend at their elbows a lot
14) are catty
15) are drama queens
16) are (flaming) queens
17) all dress in drag
18) are into watersport
19) value education
20) are whinny bitches
21) all have AIDS
22) will all die of AIDS
23) caused AIDS
24) deserve AIDS
25) are only concerned with sex
26) cannot maintain a long-term relationship
27) have more sex than straight men
28) are promiscuous
29) are feminine
30) all want to be women
31) hang out with girls more than other guys
32) can't get married
33) don't want kids
34) wear little clothing
35) like V-necks and scarves
36) style their hair (a lot)
37) listen to show tunes
38) LOVE Madonna (and Judy Garland. Britney Spears is fairly popular too)
39) think Kathy Griffin is hilarious
40) involved with performing arts
41) wear skinny jeans and guyliner
42) walk like a girl
43) cross their legs when sitting
44) want to have careers in fashion or interior design
45) say “fierce” and “fabulous”
46) tan a lot
47) color their hair
48) dress well
49) say “oh my god” and “like” all the time
50) talk really fast
51) say things like “girlfriend” or “sweetie”
52) listen to techno
53) dress neatly and fashionably
54) have pierced ears
55) are all child molesters and can't be trusted around kids
56) were sexually abused when they were young
57) think they are superior to straight men and/or want gays to be superior
58) are only attracted to young men
59) are attracted to every guy they see
60) are sexually aggressive, especially towards straight men
61) Don't swear like proper men
62) Don't drink like proper men
63) Simply aren't proper men
64) Use cologne
65) Don't eat red meat / are vegetarian
66) all pick pink as their favorite color
67) have a high pitched voice / sound feminine
68) have less testosterone than normal men



Homosexuality...
1) is contagious
2) is just a phase
3) is caused by having a gay teacher or parent
4) is immoral and unacceptable
5) is caused by soymilk
6) is caused by older gay sexual predators preying on the young and innocent
7) is a sin
8) is caused by not eating your vegies (Eat up, Johnny, you don't want to end up a queer, do you now?)
9) is caused by not having enough discipline when the child was young
10) is caused by not joining in sports when young / being a sissy
11) is caused by not taking cold showers
12) is caused by not joining in with the jocks
13) is a white man's disease
14) is a disease/disorder
15) is mostly an American curse. Iran has no gays

32 comments:

Planetx_123 said...

caused by soymilk? I have never heard that one :-)

I think you have a pretty comprehensive list here. I really can't think of any more.

I am interested in the rest of this series!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Caused by wearing girlie clothing

Caused by not enough discipline when young - being a 'mommy's boy'

By not eating your greens

By not joining in games - being a sissy

By not taking cold showers

By not joining in with the jocks

Pooves do not:

Drink beer like proper men

Don't swear like proper men

Don't fancy women like proper men


Queers do:

Dress in women's clothe

Use cologne

Don't eat red meat



Any help?

Lightning Baltimore said...

Hmmmmm . . .

I've met precisely one gay man in my entire life that thpoke with a lithp.

So, what fit me?

4) think sports are boring
9) tell their families last
19) value education
32) can't get married
43) cross their legs when sitting

32 isn't a stereotype but, rather, a fact in most parts of the world and most of the USA

As for some of the others:

I fucking hate showtunes, not counting really old ones from the 30s and 40s, especially if Dick Powell and/or Ruby Keeler are in the cast (those rule!).

I generally don't dance if anyone can see me, other than our dogs.

My husband and I are two months from our 16th anniversary and we are, and have always been, 100% monogamous.

OK, I was in a few plays in high school and college and was in a band but that's true of some straight guys, too.

I had a v-neck shirt when I was six and I loved it. Haven't had any since, though.

@Steve: I've heard it's soy products in general. I also read a few years ago that plastics have caused the huge growth in the gay male population.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this list. Although it's somehow superficial to check which stereotypes match to oneself, I also did it (and I'd say that half of them match to me).

By the way, you forgot the stereotype of pink as gay men's favorite color.

---

I'm looking forward to your analysis of these stereotypes! :)


Lunario

Anonymous said...

What's with the thing about Soymilk? My dad works at a major hospital and he can tell you that the doctors love to drink soymilk and I'm almost certain that most of then are 100% straight.

Education? I have never heard that one.


Some stereotypes you forgot
Being gay is a white man's disease
Being gay is mostly and American curse.
You are not truly a black man if you are gay.
Gays have a high pitched voice and/or sound like a girl

Lightning Baltimore said...

My favorite color is red. When I ran a forum last week for gay/bi teens (ages 13-18), not a single one named pink as his or her favorite. Green was the clear winner, in fact. Pink was some guys' second favorite (like me).

@Ethan: Soy is making kids 'gay'.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

@Mr. HCI
Ok so I read a little bit of it and couldn't help wonder who WorldNetDaily was since I never heard of them so I did a Google search of them.
No wonder they think soymilk make people gay they are a conservative news source

So it's not even worth reading (for me anyway) since it's all biased

Anonymous said...

@Mr.HCl:
My favourite color is orange and bright blue. However, the stereotype of gay people liking the color pink exists, even though it is surely not true. :)

Aek said...

Lol at the soy milk thing. That's rather laughable. Those aren't human estrogens, our bodies don't exactly recognize them as such.

Interesting list. :)

Jason Carwin said...

Soy Milk reduces the testosterone levels in a man. I'm fairly certain this is a fact, but you should fact check me on that. I suppose people assume that lower testosterone levels leads to homosexuality. Maybe that should be on the stereotypes list.

Oh, thanks for all the stereotypes that you guys listed.

idkwhatsthat said...

soymilk? haha.

J said...

You can tell me I'm crazy if you disagree, but a few of these stereotypes may have some truth to them. The rest are bullshit. I think gays are generally better dancers than straights, and are more likely to be involved in the performing arts. I also think they are more likely to be fashion conscious and neatly dressed, and (this is controversial)they (or at least the men) are more likely to have a promiscuous lifestyle.
I'd like to know if people think gays are more likely to make their sexual preference the predominant determinant of how they live their lives, in that it will govern where they live, where they go to socialize, who their friends are, and what their interests are. And if this is true, is it caused by discrimination? (I think orthodox jews would keep to themselves with or without anti-semitism.)
When you get around to it you might ask what volutional aspects of gay behavior gives homophobes the most ammunition to use against us.

J

J said...

Jason, I just read your last. There is no way gay men have less testosterone than straights.

Lightning Baltimore said...

@J: A huge part of where gays will live, with whom they'll associate, etc. is due to societal pressure.

It's getting much better but it used to be just plain unsafe, if not deadly, to be gay in this straight world (still is in lots of places).

So, gay neighborhoods, gay bars, etc. are both a form of protection in numbers and a function of bigotry.

Lots of straights want to know why we have to be so separate then turn around and tell us they don't want us around because we're gay.

Uhhh . . . OK . . .

It's like historically black colleges. Some whites get upset about them and call them racist but don't take into account that they were a product of white schools not allowing blacks admission in the past.

Same deal . . . why must you be separate?/why won't you just go away?

Jason Carwin said...

Very good comparison, Mr. HCI. This year, my English class discussed some race issues, and a number of people in my class expressed the question of why blacks and other minorities want to be separate. I realized that the people asking these questions often failed to fully understand the situation that minorities in America were/are in. In fact, I did not really understand it until I realized I was gay and looked at it from that point of view.

I once asked my mom about that (she is fully asian), and she said that sometimes people don't understand that minorities don't want to be like white people. Minorities want to retain their identity, and sometimes the majority assumes that minorities want to just like the rest of the population, which isn't always true.

lazyboy43 said...

I've always been a bit paranoid about what people thought of me. As such, I HAD to look through this list to see if anything applied. Here's what I found...

4) think sports are boring
9) tell their families last
13) bend at their elbows a lot
19) value education
43) cross their legs when sitting (sometimes)
53) dress neatly and fashionably (but that's only because my job requires it)
61) Don't swear like proper men
62) Don't drink like proper men

If that's all people have on me, then to hell with them.

Tyler said...

hmm, i didnt know it was a gay stereotype to 'value education'.

lets see how many i fit into, lol

5) i like fashion :)
12) have a limp wrist
13) bend at their elbows a lot (i never knew this was a stereotype, but now that i think about it, i do it a lot lol)
19) value education
41) wear skinny jeans<< my jeans are sorta skinny jeans...
42) walk like a girl, i supress it tho
43) cross their legs when sitting < its comfy! lol
49) say “oh my god” and “like” all the time
52) listen to techno lol
61) Don't swear like proper men
62) Don't drink like proper men
64) Use cologne


oh my..... that's a lot.. lol. i didnt think i was that bad

Anonymous said...

Ok I want to add my 2cents worth on this subject.
I agree that white people (no offense) do tend to think the minorities want to be like them but we don't.
Another problem they have is the show in America called Black Entertainment Television aka BET.
Some and they say "why do we want to let them have a show called BET that's racist"
But I was talking to my mom and she was saying how BET came AFTER MTV and in fact Blacks wanted to be on MTV but we couldn't get on the show so we created our own T.V. station
(FYI I am black just in case you are wondering)

J said...

Good point, Ethan. And BET made its black founders very wealthy indeed. I think what makes white people so afraid is the negativity of black popular culture, ie the "thug life", with its anti-intellectualism, its sanctification of the breakdown in the family, and rejection of "white" values. President Obama didn't get to be president of the Harvard Law Review by rejecting these values, and, I note, he didn't enroll his daughters in a public school but in the ultra-exclusive white bastion Sidwell Friends School in Northwest Washington. Black folks made their own way, with their own business community and nascient middle class, before integration, and they succeeded under Martin L. King by being the christian conscience of the predominantly white country. It broke the hearts of ordinary while people when they saw the pictures of those lovely little black girls who were bombed to death in a Birmingham church. Somehow that moral authority has been lost by the black community because of misplaced values, and its a shame for all of us. (Sorry for the digression, Jason.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah sorry about that too Jason
@J
If you want to talk more email me or leave a comment on my blog (granted nothing over their is related to this)

Jason Carwin said...

I don't mind any digression. It is a very interesting discussion, and it may come up again later in this series.

andrew said...

hummm i don't know what bending at the elbows means :O and i do drink a lot of soy milk and eat soy things but i doubt that thats the reason im gay

3. are mamma's boys
4. think sports are boring
5. are obsessed with fashion (i cant help i though LOL)
20. are whinny bitches (im working on complaining less haha)
31. hang out with girls more than other guys (mostly because guys always ask me if im gay and im not out yet)
35. like V-necks and scarves
43. cross their legs when sitting
49. say "oh my god" and "like" all the time (who doesnt nowadays)
61. dont swear like proper men
62. dont drink like proper men
64. use cologne (burberry summer smells so good haha)

man i didnt think i fit that many of these stereotype xD

andrew said...

whoops i left one out haha
19. value education, im valedictorian of my class but im a sophmore so it might change D:

Nick said...

What fits me:

Gay Men...
1) want to be the center of attention
4) think sports are boring
6) love to dance
9) tell their families last
10) are clean
11) always have a trusty girl pal by their side
12) have a limp wrist
13) bend at their elbows a lot
18) are into watersport
19) value education
31) hang out with girls more than other guys
37) listen to show tunes
38) LOVE Madonna (and Judy Garland. Britney Spears is fairly popular too)
39) think Kathy Griffin is hilarious
40) involved with performing arts
43) cross their legs when sitting
45) say “fabulous”
49) say “oh my god” and “like” all the time (but I'm Californian!)
50) talk really fast
51) say things like “girlfriend” or “sweetie”
53) dress neatly and fashionably
62) Don't drink like proper men (only because I'm not 21)

yeah, so I suppose a lot of the stereotypes fit me. But here are some that are just outright wrong.

Gay Men...
3) are momma's boys (I rarely speak to my mother)
8) are incompetent at running machinery (my JOB is running machinery)
34) wear little clothing (it's weird if I'm not wearing jeans and a sweatshirt)
61) Don't swear like proper men (I make sailors blush!)
65) Don't eat red meat / are vegetarian (I'm practically a carnivore)
67) have a high pitched voice / sound feminine (my voice is lower than most of the guys/men I know!)

so... it's a balance =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

HMMM... Gay men. My view as an older straight female and mother is that it is a shame that some young men are gay. Why? Because they have less choices to find a life partner. They eliminated 50% of the female population and limited to the part of the male population that is gay that is a small subset.

I do not believe gay have lower testosterone. In fact gay men seem to have strong sexual drives.

Many of the stereotypes have validity for gay and straight.

Mr HCL was correct about the social pressures affect gay males.

My best wishes to Jason Carwin and I hope he has a long and happy life

LIZ

Anonymous said...

Wow, just spotted this one, couldn't resist. Just to make it clear, I am a bi guy - I love to fuck a boy's ass hard, suck his dick, rim his ass lick his balls and tits. Likewise, I enjoy fucking a girl's pussy, eating her out, and tonguing her nips until she screams. So here is how I equate to that great list:

Gay Men...
1) want to be the center of attention - SOMETIMES I DO
2) have a serious lisp NOPE
3) are momma's boys NO, IDOLIZED DAD
4) think sports are boring JOCK IN SCHOOL
5) are obsessed with fashion WEAR JEANS AND TEES
6) love to dance AM A KLUTZ
8) are incompetent at running machinery HI TEK WIZ AND FIXIT GUY
9) tell their families last YES TO THAT
10) are clean MORE OR LESS
11) always have a trusty girl pal by their side MARRIED SO THAT's MOOT
12) have a limp wrist NEVER YET
13) bend at their elbows a lot ONLY WHEN SUCKING A BEER
14) are catty NOT ME
15) are drama queens NOT YET
16) are (flaming) queens NO
17) all dress in drag NEVER HAVE
18) are into watersport NEVER TRIED
19) value education YEP, HAVE MY MA
20) are whinny bitches DONT WHINE
21) all have AIDS NO
22) will all die of AIDS NO
23) caused AIDS NO
24) deserve AIDS NO
25) are only concerned with sex HARDLY - ONLY DO IT 2 or 3 TIMES WEEKLY
26) cannot maintain a long-term relationship MARRIED FOR 26 YRS SAME PARTNER
27) have more sex than straight men NOT IN THE LEAST
28) are promiscuous NEVER WAS
29) are feminine TOTALLY BUTCH
30) all want to be women UGGH
31) hang out with girls more than other guys 50/50
32) can't get married AM STILL THAT
33) don't want kids HAVE TWO
34) wear little clothing no more or less than other guys
35) like V-necks and scarves HATE EM
36) style their hair (a lot)BRUSH CUT
37) listen to show tunes THE ODD ONE THAT I LIKE
38) LOVE Madonna (and Judy Garland. Britney Spears is fairly popular too) TAKE OR LEAVE EM
39) think Kathy Griffin is hilarious UGGH
40) involved with performing arts YES
41) wear skinny jeans and guyliner NO
42) walk like a girl NO
43) cross their legs when sitting NO
44) want to have careers in fashion or interior design NO
45) say “fierce” and “fabulous” NO
46) tan a lot PALEFACE
47) color their hair NOPE
48) dress well NOPE
49) say “oh my god” and “like” all the time NOT ME
50) talk really fast ABOUT AVG
51) say things like “girlfriend” NO or “sweetie” NO
52) listen to techno HATE IT
53) dress neatly and fashionably NEATLY MAYBE
54) have pierced ears NO PIERCINGS OR TATS
55) are all child molesters and can't be trusted around kids LOL
56) were sexually abused when they were young NOPE
57) think they are superior to straight men and/or want gays to be superior NO
58) are only attracted to young men LOL AGAIN
59) are attracted to every guy they see YECCH
60) are sexually aggressive, especially towards straight men NO
61) Don't swear like proper men WAS A MARINE AND SWORE LIKE ONE
62) Don't drink like proper men N/A
63) Simply aren't proper men BIG LOL
64) Use cologne RARELY
65) Don't eat red meat / are vegetarian LOVE STEAKS
66) all pick pink as their favorite color BLUE, BLACK AND GREY ARE MINE
67) have a high pitched voice / sound feminine _ DEEPER VOICE THAN WHALESHIT: I DO VOICE ARTISTRY FOR A LIVING
68) have less testosterone than normal men GOING BALD FROM HI TEST.

a. l. foy said...

Lady Gaga! How can you forget gaga?
I have tons of gay friends and almost every one of them adore her.

Anonymous said...

The low testosterone thing is funny, since that particular hormone has nothing to do with sexual orientation. But some folks gotta have any excuse to diss others, I guess idk

Rick said...

ok let's see how much i fit into :)

1) want to be the center of attention
5) are obsessed with fashion
6) love to dance
10) are clean
19) value education
31) hang out with girls more than other guys (i just grew up with them)
39) think Kathy Griffin is hilarious
40) involved with performing arts
47) color their hair (like red, green, blue, or white!!)
48) dress well
52) listen to techno
53) dress neatly and fashionably
64) Use cologne (only cause it let's people know u spend more to look/smell good and not cheap deodorant sprays...ugh!)

hmm.....

Anonymous said...

Ones that fit me:

4) think sports are boring
9) tell their families last
31) hang out with girls more than other guys
65) Don't eat red mean / are vegetarian
62) Don't drink like proper men (I don't drink at all)

A lot of the ones on the list are quite ridiculous and it sickens me to know that there are people out there who believe some of that garbage.

Made me laugh when I saw that it said most homosexuals are vegetarians, but then it says the causes of homosexuality are from not eating your veggies.