Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fire Sunset

This was the sunset last night. The haze below the sun is mostly caused by smoke, but I like how the haze was juxtaposed with the clear clouds of the upper reaches of the sky.

I meant to take another picture of the sun preparing to slip beneath the waves, but I forgot.

Here is a REALLY cool time-lapse video of the fires above Los Angeles. It is only 30 seconds long, and I want you to see it. I love how you can see the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles going on in the foreground while the mountains burst into flame in the background.


10 comments:

Octavius said...

That is an impressive little video. And truelly shows that nature cares not for progress.

Courage and Honour!

Octavius.

Stephen Chapman said...

Excellent sunset pic - I am a sucker for sunsets.

I thought that you may be interested in a monthly fun posting that I started in July called "5 on the fifth". You take 5 random photographs on the fifth of the month and post them somewhere on the net. You then let me know link to the site containing your photos and I update my blog entry so the world has your link.

Interested?

Here's a link to the last "5 on the fifth" posts:
http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/search/label/5%20on%20the%20fifth

Hope that you can take part

Stephen

Pilgrim said...

Angelenos must be so fire proven, that the traffic is not looking like searching for refuge. On a bynote, german and french tv as well as BFBS radio were telling of a recline of fires due to weather changes and efforts by the firefighters. Propz Pilgrim...stay safe

Stephen Chapman said...

Thanks for the comment. The "rules" for "5 on the fifth" are that the photos should be taken on the fifth.

But... rules are made to be broken! Over the month is find by me.

I would love to see whatever you would like to publish.

S

Pilgrim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
midnight said...

I love the sunset photo you took. Its gorgeous but in an ironic way. You need to have the havoc, destruction and fatalities to capture a photo like that.

Anonymous said...

LOL I wrote a short post earlier on the same topic - including a time lapse video.

Here it is anyway ;)

http://alyoknis.blogspot.com/2009/09/natures-fury.html

J said...

It looks like the gateway to hell.

Aek said...

I like the pic, but the time-lapse vid is a bit scary. o_O

It's interesting just how bright everything stays at night, fire or no fire.

torchy! said...

that is an awesome video, but the photo you took is equally awesome and beautiful.

as for the sun dipping below into the sea - it's overrated, you wouldn't get the light you've got here.

unusual aspect ratio - you must have cropped it, but it's similar to the beach boy ones too - panasonic lx1/2/3 by any chance?

torchy!