So far, I have been using Unigo, which is a student review website, for information about gays at each of the schools on my list. I just do a google search of “site:unigo.com *insert college here* gay”
So far, I have determined that the following schools have a significant gay population and are accepting.
- Yale
I know this school has lots of gay people. I even read that being gay is such a non issue that being gay is practically like having brown hair: a detail, but not a telling one. This is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but it sounds cool.
- Brown University
This school has a great quote from a review: “There are a lot of homosexual guys, I think they have a great dating pool. I wish I was a gay guy here sometimes cause they're all so hott.” Brown also managed to draw criticism from Bill O'Reilly over the SexPowerGod dance, which is thrown by the Brown Queer Alliance and is one of the most popular events at Brown (many straight people go as well). It sold out in 10 minutes in 2005. That sounds amazing!
- University of Pennsylvania (but I read that gay minorities are likely to be shunned. I am half Asian, and do not regularly identify as an ethnic minority because I live in an area with a lot of other Asians, but I am concerned that I will be shunned. Of course, this is from 1 negative review. He also hated how he could not fit in because he does not drink. I don't drink either, so that troubles me.)
- Stanford University (accepting, but dating life for LGBT students is difficult. Lots of people still in the closet, and it is hard to find someone to hook up with)
- Tufts
- Northwestern
- NYU
- GWU
- UC Berkeley
I could find no information about the gay populace at Harvard or Columbia. I am aware that both schools have LGBT organizations and all, but I want to hear about the life of gay people from a student there. None of the reviews of Harvard mentioned gay people, which concerns me. Only 2 reviews from Columbia mentioned a gay community, but both seemed positive.
I want to know if any of you have information about LGBT students at U of Penn, Harvard, Columbia, or Stanford. I would appreciate links to student reviews or personal anecdotes.
Also, if you haven't seen the pic of last night's sunset or the cool time-lapse video of the fires, scroll down and read my previous post.
8 comments:
How sick is this? Propz Pilgrim
Hey Jason, I'm not sure about the colleges but I want to say thanks for posting the link b/c I can use that to look up my college that I want to go to
Good luck college searching
take care,
Ethan
Out of all of them, I think Stanford's the easiest by far. Minorities are the majority, so that's a non issue. And the LBGT community is quite large. Discreet, sure, but quite large. If you want everyone out, you need to go into Frisco or NYC (like NYU).
You gave good information and reasoning for narrowing down your colleges. I think the best rout to go is NYU. You are going to be in the mecca of freedom. New york has all different types of people. Making it not only diverse but also a great gay community throughout the whole state.
Check out my blog if you want.
http://www.cherryvomit.com
Comments and a follow would be greatly appreciated. =D
Hell, go to Columbia. If you feel isolated, there's always Chelsea and the East Village.
Just know that any of the Ivies will be a reach for anybody. And from what I see in your picture, I wouldn't think of you as... Asian-looking. The whole ethnic issue shouldn't bother you or stop you from going. Everybody has different experiences, especially considering a pool of thousands of other people.
I think maybe you're thinking too hard about this . . .
I don't think that should be a super major reason for going or not going somewhere. If it's a large city or near a large city, there will be enough gay people, don't worry about that too much. Just go where you feel most comfortable with the school, where you feel you can succeed, and where you think you'll enjoy being for the next 4 years.
Trust me, those 4 years go by so fast you'll wish you were a freshman again on graduation day.
At NYU, being gay is almost the norm. Practically whole wings of the dorms are gay; the straight students struggle to fit in. I've also met some really cute gays at Columbia. And of course, being in NYC, you're not limited to the guys at your own school. But this probably needn't be your biggest factor when choosing a school as most of the ones on your list are accepting enough.
Post a Comment