I have 20 pounds in text books (about 8 kg). I will be carrying all my books at all times along with about 600 pages in notebook paper and a calculator and maybe some pens. So, I guess my backpack will weigh between 20 and 25 pounds, depending on how much random crap I add to it.
I took some pictures of some of my books.
College Physics. It's a bit of an intimidating name, but I doubt it's actually college physics. On the right is my Art History book. I love this book because I've already used it.
In my hand is the Woman Warriors book. I have to read this and take a test on it on September 18. It is 200 pages, so I think I will start now. Our literature tests go like this: We read the book and take a test with 10 analytical questions. The questions may be something like “Explain the significance of symbol A” or “Explain the significance of setting B”
Each question is 5 points, and you lose 1 point for every grammatical error you make. I suspect I will be getting a B+ because of grammar alone. It only takes 5 grammar mistakes to bring you down to 90%. 5 sounds like a lot, but it really isn't because you are writing so fast during the test that you completely ignore grammar.
Fortunately, the test is open book and open note. I plan on bringing my Writer's Reference book, which is my grammar Bible, but I think I need to buy a new one because mine is from 2003.
Also, we do not discuss the book in class until after the test. We are not allowed to use spark notes, but we are allowed to discuss the book with other students. Last year, I met with my classmates in a cafe on the night before the test to discuss the book. People sometimes throw little “book parties” to discuss the text.
4 comments:
are many of your tests open book?
Open book/open notes tests are overrated. Often times they just don't give you enough time to use your resources, or the question is asked in a way that your resources tend to be moot.
No. Only literature tests are open book. They really couldn't be done any other way because sometimes questions are asked that are along the lines of "What is the significance of Chapter 7."
But you're right Aek, I probably wont have time to check the book, and I usually don't because time is always short.
i totally remember woman warrior from sophomore (or was it junior) english. good times.
Post a Comment