I'm finally home. I feel like this was such a long trip, but I guess that's because I essentially had a 4-day weekend.
While my mom and I were at the airport waiting for the plane to board, this very effeminate gay man walked past us and sat down. My mom muttered, “is that a man or a woman,” and I replied, “It's a man.” She then commented on how he acted like a woman. It was a minorly uncomfortable situation, but at least she didn't say something like, “what a fag,” so it could have been worse.
Of course, I was thinking about coming out tonight, so I'm a bit concerned that I will come out and the first thing she will think about is that gay guy in the airport. That would be awkward.
Also, one of the flight attendants on this flight is definitely gay, but I haven't really gotten a chance to get a good look at him because he is always in the front or back making the announcements.
P.S. Yale is now my number one choice. My second choices are all the other schools I am applying to. I like them all!
13 comments:
I always asked myself, why peepz your age prefer to come out to the unknown world first, instead of doind so to the close ones. I know of stories, when a come out was better received by relatives. Courage, mon ami! Propz Pilgrim
Sometimes I think its better to keep people guessing.
Keep honing that gaydar!
Don't get too attached to the Ivies! =P
I'm definitely not saying that you're not qualified. It's just there are SO MANY terrific students (including you, I'm sure) that once those applications gets to the admission committee, it's all whether you're lucky or not.
Anon, you are 100% correct. There are tens of thousands of equally qualified students out there, and it really boils down to luck.
However, that does not detract from the quality of the institution. It just means that not all of us who want to go there get the opportunity to do so.
Don't forget the cost of Ivies. Then again I shouldn't be one to talk, as by the end of med school I'll be sitting on top of close to $160K in debt (not including interest).
My brother applied to Yale. I'm not sure if he got in or not, but if he did he decided not to go.
Good luck coming out! If you feel now's the time, then go for it. Alright, that was kind of cheesy, but seriously best of luck.
Go to Yale if you want, but I have a lot of friends who are gay and went there and regretted it. It is a very str8 school. And New Haven is a very str8 town.
Curious choice Yale. I thought you wanted a place where there were gays and an environment supportive of them, not merely tolerating them because Daddy has money.
Hmm... could your Mom possibly be trying to draw you out - albeit in an awkward manner? Obviously I am not familiar with your family's dynamics, but it is a possibility that I would consider.
Yale - nice school, nice town. You really cannot go wrong with that choice. However, I cannot comment on the community's "gay-friendliness," but I think that any upper tier school will at the very least be gay tolerant. If you want to reside in a community where gayness doesn't matter at all, then I think that NYU or Columbia are better choices.
I am not too worried about the cost because the most Ivies have dropped loans from their financial aid packages. They just give out grants to anybody who needs it. Plus, with an endowment of over 20 million dollars, Yale can afford to do so.
I am interested to see that some of you are concerned about the gay friendliness of the campus. I have read many student reviews, and they almost always mention the gay population, which is seen as significant. it always talks about them in a positive way.
Yale is a good choice. I hope you get in. And if not, I hope you get your second choice. I'm sure you'll do well wherever you are.
Now you've got us on the edge of our seats wondering if you came out at home, and how it went if you did.
Yale has a well-deserved rep as the str8est of the ivies. Columbia, NYU, even Harvard for that matter are much more gay-receptive than Yale. But hey, you want to go to Yale, go there. Some marketing guy in the admissions office is patting himself on the back for selling a str8 campus to a gay high schooler.
If you're close to your mum then I'd say tell her soon, before there's any danger she might hear it from someone else.
If there's a rough ride it's only because she loves you - but it's that love which will make her come round to acceptance. Sounds like it could just be a big learning curve for her, so be just a little prepare for that!
Good luck!
Coming out as a teen to famly can be very difficult, but its a decision only you can make.
No-one here will make that decision for you, but we will all be here for support no matter what, after all a lotta us know exactly what its like :)
And Yale, go for it dude! aim high always :D
- Wolfi
x
Did not see your post for today...
Now I am sitting on the edge of my seat, biting my nails wondering what happened to carwin...
Hope and Wish all is well with you...
Post a Comment