My English class will be examining the theme of identity during the Fall Semester. I am very happy about this, because I spend a lot of time thinking about identity.
One of the first questions we are thinking about is how does our name inform our identity?
I think my name plays a minor role in my identity. I think I would be the same person even if I had a different name. I like my name, but I just don't see how it affects me.
Also, it is absurdly easy to change names. For example, when I started this blog, I adopted a new name for myself. It took me a few minutes, and it was done, and I do not believe it changed my identity when it happened.
However, I think a name does affect how others view me. For example, we all have predisposed biases towards certain names. For example, I knew a Zachary when I was younger, and I will forever dislike that name. Also, all my readers view me as Jason Carwin, even though that isn't my real name.
I also noticed that when you post a comment, Blogger asks you to “Choose an Identity.” Blogger defines each of your Google online profiles as a different identity. This got me to thinking about how the internet has changed our identities.
The internet allows us to switch masks whenever we like, which is a great thing. However, this may cause us to track of ourselves. Of course, this is assuming that the different names are attached to different personalities. I think this is something we see with actors and actresses. I often wonder if they ever face questions of identity.
I have lost track of what I was trying to say, and I apologize for this. This must have been painful to read. Nevertheless, I want to know what you think.
1) Does your name affect your identity? If so, how?
2) In your opinion, how does the internet (and multiple identities that go along with it) affect our identity?
Please leave a comment with your thoughts on these questions. If you feel uncomfortable leaving a comment, then I invite you to post as an “anonymous” user.
15 comments:
I personally dont believe that my name affects my identity because theres really no stigma. Names that one would associate with certain groups ex. Ashley for a blond. I think that I would have to prove something to people, that im not a dumb blond. I dont even know if this makes sense. I just feel that certain names are more popular with certain groups giving them a stigma.
I think that the internet makes us "darker". Having another or multiple identities makes it easer for us to divulge more personal information. It also can be used in a negative way to hurt someone else. The internet is somewhat like a black hole to me, things are easily lost or anonymous but their easily found so you have to be careful.
First: Yes, simple because my name, and I only use my real name, means that I’m somehow connected with the quirks, preferences, errors, talents or even appearances of some of my ancestors, so I have to deal with this somehow.
Second: I should think about it.
Well first of all my name def plays into my identity. Our name is our glue that holds our relationships together, our friends learn to trust it, our enemies learn to hate it. It becomes tied to our very existence and some people learn to use their name as a power, as a force to be reckoned with.
Secondly, the internet is an unknown and completely known at the same time. It is a pradox by which we share parts of ourselves and by which we take parts of others. It can be dangerous, false, hateful, cynical, threatening and spiteful all in a single session, drastically affecting our identity. Using some bloggers as an example, the internet can open people up and let them share things they normally would bury inside. This freedom of espression allows them to heal and embrace themselves. In this way the internet also shapes our identities.
All in all, I think in the 21st century we will see the internet shape our identities more and more until at some point I believe we, as humans, will reach a point when some of us live more of our lives online than we do in real life. Ultimately becoming out identity more than just affecting it. Some people, I am sure, are already there.
Lots of love,
Ryan
1. I think my identity affects my name more than the other way around. Who I am, what I do, whatever it is that people associate me with, is inextricably linked to my name. We make a name for ourselves - we give our names shape and identity. And when that link is strong enough it then flows both ways.
2. The internet is interesting thing you bring up. I don't think it affects the core of my identity much, if at all. Some of us choose random internet name(s), others are more careful in the name(s) we use. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes they bring out aspects of ourselves that we'd otherwise keep hidden. Sometimes an added name, such as MD or PhD tagged to the end of one's name, augments it and gives it a kind of authority/power that would not exist otherwise.
Lastly I'm amused you used the image of "masks." That's my realm that you're treading on, lol. XD
Interesting topic for sure. I tend to agree with Pierre to a degree. I think that names certainly can affect identity based on social stigmas, etc., but I would expect more often than not, it doesn't.
The effect that the internet has is certainly correlated to one's use, and I would suspect one's age. For example, I can say with certainty that Mirrorboy's identity in this little blog world has probably helped shape his person quite a bit (hopefully in a good way). Whereas the internet has affected me probably in a different way. The internet, at least in blogging, is an outlet. This allows people to explore parts of themselves that they wouldn't otherwise. My blog at least allows me to vent and discuss and interact with other people. And no other 'device' throughout history has allowed such 'catalyzed interaction'. Because it provides pseudo-anonymity, it allows many more personality types to interact, and I would expect that interaction to have a net positive effect. Without this pseudo-anonymity, the 'typical' personality types would dominate the discourse (i.e. what politics and public figures do today), and that is an under-representation of people. So for me, the internet has allowed me to be more open and honest with myself and get a better sense of other people's perspectives--- all of which help shape 'Steve'.
Much Love,
Steve
I think Names have a wonderful power over things. I've never understood why parents got to name their children, or at least there wasn't the chance for kids to rename themselves when they're old enough to legitimize why they should be able too.
as for my name: Growing up, I thought it was boring. It was common and everyone I met had it. In fifth grade I went by my middle name (which severely angered my mom -My middle name is the same as my father's first name.) But now I've gotten so used to having that label, It's become a part of me. I would never give up my name. It has become such an integrated part of who I have become that taking it away would take some part of my identity and leave me irreparable.
and the internet: If anything I think the internet gives us a chance to act without consequence of some over lording figure to shake it's finger at us and, to quote Dogma, say "Do it, Do it and I'll fucking spank you!" We get to say what we want to who we want, and if someone decided to bring the Ban hammer down on our head, we just get a new handle and move on with out lives.
@ Pierre: You make a good point that I never thought about. In addition to your point, I'm sure that ethnic names also carry some identity because they tie you to your roots.
@MartininBroda: Do you feel pressure to live up to the successes of your ancestors?
@Ryan: You make an interesting point in your third paragraph. Do you think that will be a good or bad thing? Certainly, people will feel more free, but does that have to come at the expense of 'the real world'?
@Aek: I thought of you when I wrote masks. It's a really good word.
@Planetx: Good point about how usage affects the effect of the internet. This is certainly true. You are also correct when you point out that the internet is a great liberator. So, do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing?
@OlyQueerKid: My friend did the same thing, and when he turned 16, he had it legally changed so his middle name became his first name. Do you think your identity changed at all when you took on a new name?
My first name used to be very common. In fact, I think when I was born my first name was the most common one for boys and my middle the second most. In addition to being common, it's also not mine, as I'm a junior. Plus, my dad was named for his four great-grandfathers, two of whom had my first name and the other two my middle. So it's not mine twice-removed, as well.
In other words, I'm not all that crazy about my first name. On the other hand, I can't imagine being called anything else, and I hate being called by nicknames. Even more, I hate being called by diminutives of my name.
My last name is a common word but not for surnames. I was teased about it for just about the entirety of my school years. People still make "clever" remarks about it even though I'm an adult, now.
So, having a first name I didn't feel was really mine and a last name as a source of torment most likely affected my personality. I can't imagine it wouldn't've.
An alternate view: I've spoken to other guys with uncommon first names that I thought were really cool but, interestingly, they hated. So, who knows, I might've disliked my name no matter what.
Yes and no
My 1st name doesn't have the affect on me nor my last name but 2 of my 3 middle names seems to bring out the people who I was named after so I guess it depends on how you look at it
I don't understand your 2nd question sorry
@Jason: Not really. I mean, it lingered for a while, all those people in my class called me that name until I moved away a few years later, but I don't know to what extent it really changed or effected me or how I identified myself.
When I meet someone irl their name forms part of the initial impression they create. But this is soon replaced as I get to know them.
People on the internet come from such a diverse range of backgrounds that I take very little from someone's name. Except for the really obvious meanings.
This year will be an interesting time for you to reflect on your identity and the way your emerging sexuality informs the way people see you and how you see yourself.
This is my very first response to a blog and I'm kind of excited about it. Yes, my name has affected my identity. I am a "Jr." I think most dads who name their sons after themselves want their name to carry on to a "III", "IV", etc. That expectation does affect me. I am expected to carry on the name. But first, I have to have a son who can carry on that name after me. The trouble in this particular case is that I will never have a child. I am gay and do not want children. Does this make me sad that the name stops here or do I feel blame because the name stops here? If I do, that affects my identity. I have become the disappointment, the 500 pound gorilla in the room, the shame of the family, etc. Now, I am talking in general terms. I think that carrying on the name is very very important in some families and that affects the one who is supposed to do it. Personally, I never cared if I disappointed my dad about the name moving on. It wasn't my fault he named me after himself.
Another way that name affects identity. It's a stereotype, but the name "Bruce" affects some kids. I know one who is named Bruce and he will not allow anyone, including family, to call him Bruce. He goes by a nickname.
Speaking of nicknames, they definitely affect our identity. Examples: "Red", "Carrot Top", "Shorty", "Big Ed", "Mr. Big", "Too Tall", and you can probably look around you and find people with nicknames that have become their identity...their main identifier.
This question of name and identity brings other thoughts to my mind, but this has become so long-winded.
I need to wrap it up. Maybe I've started a new trend for myself...blogging, or at least responding to blogs!
Believe it or not your name affects everything about your life. I read a study where having a common name helps people fit in as opposed to rare or obscure names. Explained how people with obscure names tended to feel more isolated than people with names like John, Michael, Smith, etc. Also since for example I share the name of an archangel maybe people view me as more trustworthy? Mmm it's all a mental game in your subconscious :p
Lol I misspelled something and that bothers me..
at least you didnt misspell "misspell." Lots of people actually get that wrong.
btw, is the Archangel Michael in any way related to Saint Michel, as in Mont Saint Michel(I love that church/town. It's so pretty).
@Anon: Welcome to the community. I'm glad you have shared what you did. You brought up an interesting point of view that I never thought about, and I'm glad you contributed to the discussion.
Post a Comment