Monday, September 7, 2009

Brad (Finally) Told Me

Brad came out to me while I was at Disneyland. Here is how it went down.

Brad showed up at 6:00 PM. He is our class President and had to be at a class event, but it was cancelled last minute, so he drove over to Disneyland to meet us. He has an annual pass so he can just come and go to Disneyland as he wishes.

Of the people at Disneyland, I was the only person that he had not yet told. However, he didn't realize that I already knew. So he planned to make it really obvious in hopes of making me feel awkward. Of course, my friends warned me about this ahead of time.

He spent the evening acting very gay and making comments that clearly showed his homosexuality, but I pretended to be oblivious (and I actually was some of the time). Finally, he got annoyed and decided to go out and say it.

We were walking down Mainstreet just 10 minutes before the start of the fireworks, so we were surrounded by families with young kids. He said, “Jason, Katie and I want the same thing in life.”

“What's that?”

“We want a nice, perfect-”

“Juicy,” katie added.

“Steak??” I responded (of course I am still playing dumb).

“No, Brad is a vegetarian,” replied Katie.

“Well, I still enjoy some kinds of meat,” Brad amended.

“Brad! You cannot say that. We are surrounded by a bunch of little children. You can't be making innuendo like that,” I protested.

He then asked to make sure I understood what he meant and I said that I understand he is gay. I thought it was a funny way of phrasing it, and I would have enjoyed the innuendo if I had not been surrounded by dozens of families.

Then he spent the rest of the night talking about who's hot in our grade. He is very comfortable with his sexuality, and I'm happy for him. He might have weirded out a few of my friends, but I think they were mostly comfortable with it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The manner in which he tried to come out, I found hilarious. LOL.

It's good that he felt comfortable to come out to you there and then though.

I'm still finding the conversation you had funny just thinking about it.

:)

naturgesetz said...

"Steak?" LOL

Aek said...

Hehe, steak would work too. XD

That's a really amusing way for him to come out. I hope you found it fun too. Now it's your turn. :P

Lightning Baltimore said...

So Brad (finally) told you . . . did you tell him?

Anonymous said...

brad is freakin awesome XDD i needa come out to someone like that LOL and now that he's come out maybe you should too?

Anonymous said...

Best if he leaves it for a bit before its his turn I reckon; to avoid stealing the limelight at school and amongst friends.

Could tell Brad though?

Jason Carwin said...

P.T. is precisely right. I want to give Brad a few moments. Plus, I don't want people to think I am coming out just because it suddenly seems the fashionable thing to do.

I'm certain Brad knows that I'm gay. He once boasted about his prowess in gaydar.

@andrewbbizarre If you think you are ready for coming out, then go ahead. The question is, "how do I know when I am ready?" I think when you start to feel impatient about it or really WANT to come out, then you know you are ready.

Anonymous said...

congrats man :D haha brad sounds like quite a character!

SS

Anonymous said...

LOL that has got to be the funniest way I have heard someone come out

JP said...

"steak??" haha, that made my day. But congrats to Brad, it's a big step and the fact he did it in such a lighthearted way via innuendo is pretty cool.

Tyler said...

hmm.... for some reason that seems like a crappy coming out :/

billy said...

After years of keeping quiet about his gay thoughts and feelings it sounds like he is enjoying the freedom to express them.

Maybe you could show some curiosity about his gaydar. Talking about it with him will give you a chance to find out if he suspects you are gay.

midnight said...

I love it....that was an absolutely fantastic way of doing it. A bit risque with a touch of naughtiness. It reminded me of the bathing scene in Spartacus with Tony Curtis's character and his master when he was asked whether he preferred to eat snails or oysters.

idkwhatsthat said...

Haha Brad is awesome. I'm glad he finally decided to come out to you. Oh and the story is really hilarious too.

WkBoy714 said...

Well if only more guys were as brave and original as him :P

Dave83201 said...

When I came out to my (st8) best friend I was so nervous and so full of adrenalin I was shaking. I wish coming out could be as easy as your friend makes it seem. Ultimately I'm glad I have a friend with which I can be open and honest.