Friday, October 16, 2009

I FINALLY CAME OUT

I came out to my parents last night at 9:20 PM on 10/15/09.

It was absolutely terrifying...

I hung out downstairs where I could hear their conversation. I spent an hour nervously waiting for the conversation die, and when it showed no signs of letting up, I set a deadline of 9PM for myself. Clearly, I failed in meeting this deadline.

They were talking about colors and railings and flooring for our remodel, and I thought it would be awkward to interrupt. Finally, at 9:20, the conversation paused, and I stood on the landing. I collected myself and took my pulse (120 beats per minute. That's not too high, right?)

I went upstairs and said “Mom, Dad, can we talk about something.

My dad responded, “You didn't get some girl pregnant did you?

No, of course not.” (My inner thoughts were LOVING the irony of this question asked moments before I was about to come out). “I have been meaning to tell you guys this for a while now, [at this point, I saw my mom tense up] and I don't know if this will come as a surprise or not, but you need to know that I'm gay.

After this, there was a bit of a silence, and I continued on to explain that this is not a phase. I also explained that I am not going to change and that I haven't told anyone (except one friend who lives far away)

My mom then asked if I was sure, and I replied, “Yes.

My dad pointed out that he knows some gay people, and life is usually difficult for them. However, he did not say this in a way to discourage me from being gay. It was just an observation. I acknowledged that I had spent a lot of time thinking about that, and I decided that I am strong enough to overcome challenges, and plus, challenges are what make us who we are.

My mom then asked how I knew that I was gay. I said it just had to do with who I am attracted to and who I'm not attracted to.

I told her about how Brad told one person, and everyone found out, and I think she took this to mean that I don't want people knowing. She suggested that I tell nobody at school.

She talked about how it isn't necessary for everyone to know right now. I think that she was trying to comfort me, but I'm not sure.

I tried to explain that I want my friends to know, but I didn't really go into that point too much; I can leave that discussion for another day. She said that I should tell my twin before coming out at school, which I totally agree with, so maybe she is receptive to the idea of coming out at school.

I forget what we talked about after this, but I think the conversation just went in circles. I know at some point I told them that I had looked at all the schools I was applying to in order to ensure that they were accepting places. I'm not sure how my parents like this idea, but it's the truth.

Some parting thoughts:

- I was incredibly uncomfortable.
- I was sweating A LOT.
- It felt like the spotlights were on me, and I was being judged. I did not like it.
- My parents were silent for a while as they digested it. They seemed more shocked than I anticipated them being.
- That said, my dad thanked me for talking to them before I left to go to bed.
- Our conversation was cut short because my twin showed up and started looking for food.
- Despite my discomfort, I am glad I finally found the cojones to go through with this. I know that this is the first step in living my life openly, which will make me happier.

Lastly, I apologize for the dreadful writing in this post. I plan on writing a cleaner post later, but I wanted to get all my ideas on paper right now. I recorded the entire conversation with my iPhone, so I will go over it later and re-write this transcript of events.

59 comments:

HAWT Blog said...

Congratulations!!
It will be uncomfortable for while, but your family life will be much better as a result. Way to go :)

Unknown said...

I'm really very happy for you! Life will move on, and you will feel great! I hope you have nothing but support! ^_^

Mike said...

Congratulations!!! Must be a huge burden lifted!!! I like how you used your iPhone to record it and took your pulse, btw.

Anonymous said...

Felicidades, Jason. Yes, it does require some cojones to do what you did, and you should be proud of the fact you've accomplished something you set out to do for a while. I don't think your post is sloppy at all; it's real, it's direct, it's organized.

The discomfort and feelings of being judged are to be expected from such a tense, life-altering moment. How can it be anything otherwise? However, you are very mature for taking a longsighted view of the event and knowing that you'll be able to live more openly now.

Your parents may need some more time to truly digest the news, so keep that in mind if the next few days are awkward. But for now, know that your fellow bloggers are proud of you. Un gran abrazo.

Anonymous said...

I know that "coming out" to your parents takes a great weight off your chest - it is an important first step for those who feel that there is definable path to becoming a full-fledged gay person. Congratulations on manning up and telling the ones you love first. I do find it a bit curious that you chose to record the convo with your parents...

Joey said...

Congratulations. I know that it takes a grat deal of courage and confidence to come out to your parents. Give your parents some time to process this. You are still the same son they had before you came out. It may take them a little time to realize that. Parents are just funny that way.

I completely agree that this is the start of you being able to live the rest of your life openly. I know many who wished they could have come out at your age.

You are going to be an example and inspiration to many. Again, congratulations.

Lightning Baltimore said...

Congratulations!!! I was 29 when I came out to mine and felt like I was about to faint the entire time. I don't think I've ever been that nervous in my life before or since.

loki4469 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Urs said...

I'm joining the chorus: Congratulations! That was brave. The first step is the worst. I hope they'll digest it well.

loki4469 said...

Congratulations and welcome to the next stage of your life. Found this article on another blog thought you might find it interesting. http://justindunes.blogspot.com/2009/10/manifesto-from-bishop-john-shelby-spong.html

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! That does take courage. I wish I could do the same. Some time I will. I think your Mom was trying to spare you as much pain as she could by her suggestion.
R

LonelyBoy said...

Congratulations!!
This can only be the start of everything good!

I, and I think I can speak for everyone here, is proud of you!

Well Done!

Sxx

Pilgrim said...

Congrats! But did you expect your ´rent were going to hang around your neck happy for you? Tell us what the next days were like! Propz Pilgrim

Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is a huge achievement. I was 25 when I came out.

You will like it later. My dad and I talk a *lot* more now and we're much closer.

I'm not sure what it is like in high school anymore, but yes, college can be a very accepting place.

Bruce said...

Congratulations. One thing I try and share with people that have recently come out to there parents is to give them time. It took you a long time to accept yourself and it will take them time to deal with this new reality. It sounds like it went very well but still they need time to deal with it. Also, there are a lot of good books out there that help parents deal with their gay kids and the coming out process. Youo might want to buy them a copy of some of those or at least point them to those. PFLAG is also a great organization for parents with gay kids. Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

man was not born for comfort but for greatness.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! I know it's a really tough thing to do, good on you for going through with it!

Anonymous said...

Well done Jason! You've finally plucked up the courage and done the deed!

You do realise, don't you that now you've done it you are NEVER going to have to tell them again?

It's a once in a lifetime thing and you've done it!

As I've told you my ride from my father wasn't easy: he took years to come around properly, but he never rejected me - just my gay friends for a while.

And yes - I remember that initial silence. I don't think anything other than a mother's intuition sometimes can save any of us from that!

Again - many congrats - you've done the biggest single thing of coming out and now you are a much more honest person that you've been for positively years. Your life has just taken one giant step towards being an out and proud gay man.

Welcome to the club!

Anonymous said...

Hello bloggers,

Looking for the perfect place to promote your blog? Attract more people to your blog, connect with other bloggers and more!

The best part: It's totally FREE for all!

Just click on the 'Tutorial' button if you not sure how to use it.

Join now: Free Blog Traffic

Happy blogging!

Dzyan said...

Well, as it´s been said a ton of times now, but not for that it´s less true now, Congratulations!!!
Always a huge step to take and always leads to new places, hope your path is without any unnecessary obstacles, and it is true, they make us who we are.
Love
Me

Rowan said...

Well done Jason

i've never commented on your blog before but here i am now!

You recorded you're coming out!?
you'll be able to look back on that in many years, dunno if you'd want to or not but it was a good idea me thinks.

Oh and just one little thing, you might have to re-name your blog now :P

Rowan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It seems like there is always 3 coming outs -- 1 to ourselves, 2 to trusted friends/family, and 3 to "the world" (that is, not keeping it a secret, not necessarily advertising it).

I admire your desire to tell your school friends and that you are strong enough to handle it. It is my biggest regret not coming out in high school. I did not know my own inner strength then. I'm glad you have found yours.

Anonymous said...

WTG! Proud of you! Enjoy not having to hide anymore!

J said...

No one can say you've an absence of cojones now. This was gracefully done.
What you didn't write is whether or not your parents openly expressed their love and support for you, and you your love for them. Is that forthcoming?
This is the first time I can recall your saying you had a twin. Is your twin boy or girl, gay or straight? It will be interesting to hear how your twin reacts.

Ryan said...

Congratz! Well done! Indeed you have finally taken a great leap into a much brighter world. Yes your parents will need time, and make sure you give them all the time they need. You have given them all they need to know. At this point make sure you limit yourself to what is normal to talk about concerning "relationships" and "sexuality". Remember, since most people view homosexuality as something "different" they tend to ask questions they would never even consider asking a straight person. keep that limit where it should be. It will help in the long run of things.

Good luck on telling your twin, any ideas or plans?

Lots of love, a congratz hug and a high five!

-Ryan

Anonymous said...

Big step.#
Brave Boy.#

Love
The Tigs

Tyler said...

woot! :P

yay for Jason!

Aek said...

Everyone's already said it. Congrats man, you did a very courageous thing for yourself.

I'm glad your parents took it well. You're breathing easier now and your heartbeat's settled back down, right?

*Hugs* Well done. :-)

billy said...

Well done! The ball has started rolling...

Interesting to hear of the follow-up discussion they have with you, once they've digested it.

v1b2n3m4 said...

big congrats Jason, I'm really happy for you :)

Everyone else kinda stole any thunder I had about saying something more, but just know that I'm super stoked for you! :)

Pierre said...

Congratulations! Its such a big step. The world isnt on your shoulders anymore.

torchy! said...

totally awesome Jason, really well done. very happy for you

(and lmao at you recording it!)

torchy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation. I'm impressed you had the courage to come out.
To me your writing is not dreadful it is authentic. Thank's for sharing.

RR

Anonymous said...

They didn't kick you out on your head, they're digesting it...these are good signs, even if it's hard for them to handle right now.

*hugs* for a brave man.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jason!
I hope all your dreams come true.

Steevo said...

wow ---- the deed is done.

I think your story will comfort many of your silent readers.

Hope to see u on msn tonight.

u done good, jason!

i am proud of you.

dad's comment on someone getting preggers is priceless. Someday u 2 can laugh about the irony. esp. if u have kids. XD

steevo in cali
.
.
.

JP said...

Congratulations!

Seth said...

Holy Sh*t you also got 36 comments!!

CONGRATULATIONS. Wow. what a huge thing - I'm so happy you got through it. I think your whole outlook on life will change, as you grow more comfortable being who you are. Thankfully your parents seem ok with it, which is a blessing for sure. Don't need to rush and tell the world, give yourself some time to adjust with them first, then move on to others, But you've made that first step, and thats the most important one.

*HUGS*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

u definitely have a lot of support from the blogging community!! (^.^)
i kinda evy u.. ur parents seem quite accepting (especially ur dad)
Congrats on coming out!
took a lot of nerves to say the words "im gay".
hope you soon can feel comfortable tellin ur friends about it - im sure they will be fine (if not thrilled) with you telling them (^.^)
now u can change ur profile of "closeted gay teenager"!
take care

p.s. my first comment didnt post properly so i deleted it

midnight said...

Congratulations!!!

I'm so happy the you finally made the plunge and told them. I could tell from previous entries that you were getting really close to telling them and I was expecting it any day.

I can't wait to read more about it in the days to come.

hugs

midnight

idkwhatsthat said...

Congratulations!

I'm really happy for you.

pupmysterys said...

Congratulations on coming out to your parents HUGS

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Good luck. Just be yourself and relax a bit now. Rough waters may be ahead.

Steevo said...

wow

45 and counting

D. said...

wow i'm commentor 47...

but congrats!!

D. said...

ps regarding your dad's comment... he might have already had a hint, which is why he asked that question about getting a girl preggers!

naturgesetz said...

Just saw this. Haven't had a chance to review the other comments.

Congratulations!

They accepted it and they accepted you as gay.

No doubt they need time to digest it, but they still love you.

All in all, I think it went pretty well.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

comment #50 ... wow ... well congratulations ... it should not go without saying so I'm saying

Deadwing said...

congrats jason!!! that isa HUGE step!! I'm really proud of you. that took a lot of guts. I hope this leads to a happier, more fulfilling life for you. well done!

cvn70 said...

jason

did i ever tell you about this guy i first talked to on skype, well there were a few emails first i i recall. That guy ws orried abut the number of page hits e was having. He was looking to lake some friends and garner some support

He was full of energy but like many here he had secret and a plan. I thought he wasa a determined young man and gave him a few ideas.

after reading his pot and reiewing thi post among many others i have to tell you i think that guy has reach all the objectives he had during that first conservation

i am so proud of you jason. Everyone of you who can come out and be yourselfs i believe will enrich you lives. You will never end up like I am and thatonce again makes me happy

You have become a great member of this community and enlarger it everyday. Please tell me hat the view looks like now

take care and be safe

bob

MM said...

I know that you have been nervous for a while in how/when to announce it to your parents.

You have finally achieved one of your goals and now can move forward.

Anonymous said...

It's brave and it's great, Jason!
I am so pleased for you that you did that and you will soon feel better about all kinds of things and situations. Well done!

Gauss Jordan said...

Cheers Dude! I wish I'd had the same conversation 10 years ago, not 10 months ago... It's funny how they both went down the same sort of path...

Anonymous said...

Well I emvy you. Even if I want to tell my parents this (my mum probably knows but I dont speak about that so she is not asking too) my dad would kill me (maybe not kill me but the life in my family would be much worse). One day I might tell them but not now (and to your friends - some of my friends know it and they dont really care that I am gay they just care that I am a "person", if you have good friends than dont worry to tell them - if they turn against you after this than you will at least know that they are not good)

S. said...

I'm soooo late (and really sorry for that) and everyone has already said this, but:

Congratulations!

Of course, they need some time to digest the news, but it seems they took it pretty well.

Your dad's response to you wanting to talk was hilarious. Be sure to keep multiple copies of your recorded conversation. It is a priceless memory.

Shane said...

Congrats, i am very proud of you.

Esther said...

Hey Jason,

That was so moving. Thank-you for sharing it and congratulations on taking such a big step. I hope you'll continue to have the love and support of your family and friends because that should be a given for everyone.

I'm quite a bit older than you and I'd say up until about 15 years ago, I really didn't know anyone who was openly gay. Now, I have close friends and coworkers who are openly gay. And I'm not unique in that regard. Almost everyone I know has openly gay friends or coworkers or relatives. I can't even imagine my friends being closeted, how suffocating that must feel. I'm just glad that they're out and happy and in committed relationships and they know how much I treasure our friendship.

I found your blog through a link from another blog and I've been reading it for the past hour. You write really well, you have a nice conversational style.

And I really gained a deeper appreciation for what it must have been like when some of my friends came out to me.

I know everyone has the right to control their own story. I'm Jewish and if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I don't always correct them. There's always a calculation of who you should tell and when you shouldn't bother. And I'm not even facing the prospect of someone trying to "change" me.

Hope you keep up the blog and good luck with the college applications!

the immigayrant said...

Awww....

15 October 2009 was my 22nd birthday. I actually planned on telling my parents too. I thought that would be the day they were happy for me and remember that I'm 'aged' enough. But I couldn't find the courage.

Thanks for sharing the story, Jason.

Regards,


the immigayrant
http://gay-and-away.blogspot.com/