Saturday, September 19, 2009

Brown University and Roads

I visited Brown yesterday. The info session was decent, as was the tour. I think I was too tired to be paying close attention. Also, the info session was given in a chapel. Are pews intentionally designed to be uncomfortable?

However, the campus was beautiful. I loved walking around. Also, Providence is a great little town. I know it's actually considered an urban area, but I'm from Southern California, and Providence is tiny compared to the scale I usually deal with.

I noticed a few gay guys, which was fun. I'm working on my gaydar! The sad news was that there were no gay guys on my tour, and I'm fairly certain my tour guide was straight. He explained that he is in some club because he is hapa. Hapa means “half” in Hawaiian, and it used to be a derogatory word for mixed race people, but it has become a positive word for people of mixed origins.

I thought it was pretty cool that the Asian-Americans of Rhode Island had learned and embraced this word. I don't think anyone else on the tour understood this word because they were all from the East Coast, and none of them perked up when they heard the word. My mom's reaction was to turn and point at me and say “Oh! Hapa!”

A few complaints about the interstates in the East Coast:
1) they don't have enough lanes. I am used to interstates with 4 to 6 lanes. The ones I was one had 2 to 3. That was annoying
2) People DO NOT know how to merge or change lanes. They are such wimps. They always break and wait for an opening. That is not how you merge or change lanes in traffic. Just go!
3) The signs do not tell you what is coming up until you are about 100 yards from the exit. This is distressing.
4) Why is the speed limit 55 in some areas? I've never heard of such a thing. The speed limit is always 60 in California, and everybody goes at 75.
5) There aren't many sights along these interstates. It's just trees and trees for miles and miles. And it's the same kind of trees.
6) Road engineers on the east coast suck. The ramps are never banked properly, and they do not work the right way. Also, there are a lot of merges from the left, instead of the right. I've also noticed that there are no “concrete jungles” in the east coast. I know that these are considered bad things, but concrete jungles are much easier to understand than all the silly “1 exit fits all!” approach. However, I will admit that earthquakes do scare me when I am on those ramps hundreds of feet in the air. I often rub my rosaries and say a dozen prayers for no earthquakes when dealing with those.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a Californian! Here in the East, they had to squeeze interstates in between settlements that have been around for hundreds of years - unlike the LA basin which was basically a desert - deserted - until the 1920's. That limited the number of lanes. But if you miss big fat highways, I invite you to the DC area where you will find 4-8 lanes of driving pleasure - and elevated on/off ramps - and very, very few earthquakes. The natural disasters that we have to contend with are the occasional blizzard or hurricane which can make driving interesting. I grant you that Californians are better highway drivers, but here in DC, we drive routinely drive 75-80 in 55 zones - when traffic is not gridlocked or shut down for an accident. Check out Georgetown, GW, and Catholic universities...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
unfortunately pews are intentionally designed as you mentioned to be uncomfortable.

It deals somehow with repentance and in catholic churches you should kneel down also.

Bye RR

Pilgrim said...

No fear, Jason, I have never heard of earthquakes in Maryland or Massachusets. :-) SoCal rules!(rollerbladingwise) Propz Pilgrim

idkwhatsthat said...

Yep, that's the east coast.

Anonymous said...

lol Sounds a bit like the mid-west

We don't use 4-6 lanes rather 2-3.
Speed limit 55 is quite common around here and you wont see to many 60 mph where I am rather 65-70 in some places

are you sure you didn't go through Iowa at one point? I mean trees and tress is all we have around here

Aek said...

Haha, welcome to the other coast. It doesn't sound much different from the Midwest, except the state I came from, the speed limit was usually 60 or 70 (though most people go about 80). Now I'm in another Midwest state where the speed limit is 55-60 and the highway junctions are confusing as hell. Also, U-turns get weird here, ugh.

For the record, I like the trees along the highway. I actually missed the trees while driving across states.

Anonymous said...

Jason- Providence is a very nice city - big enough and small enough. Brown and RISD are close to each other and that's sweet. Also the beaches in Narragansett are cool, for surfing even, at times. Not a VERY gay city but not COLD with it.

BUT if you can get into Yale, I'd take it any day. Fabulous museums and libraries and New York City can be got to in an hour or so. Yale is very cool.

Best to you bro from one of the old dudes who knows everything :-)

naturgesetz said...

We have trees in New England. Get used to it! LOL

In fact most of us like trees.

In Massachusetts, some of the Interstates around Boston have four lanes each way. And there are even a couple of jungle type interchanges, notably where 90 and 93 meet.

I don;t really know Providence, but I'm still glad you like it.

midnight said...

You should try driving in the Twin Cities. No merging, taigating, no turn signals, people crossing 2-3 lanes at a time. And road rage is rampant. Is seems like most drivers here have their middle finger permanently sticking up and can't fold it back down.

David DelaCruz said...

Gosh Jason in my town we have one main street with 2 way traffic, and 3 traffic lights, one of which is always broken.

Mike said...

Yay for Californians!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the fall efflux of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=coreldraw graphics suite x4 2008 ?
I noticed the phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the dark methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg