Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Social Norms

My English class is starting our Social Norm project.

The assignment is to identify a social norm that we "question, are suspicious of, or disagree with" and then break it. We will then write an essay about the experience.

My problem is that I need help coming up with an idea. Here are some projects from years past (that I won't do because it's copying):

- showing up late to school
- calling teachers by their first name
- wearing a pregnant belly (obviously I can't do this)
- dressing "goth"

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for my project. I have been brainstorming, but I want to see if you guys can come up with anything interesting.

Btw, I can write an essay about anything, so don't worry if the social norm that I'm breaking seems minor or insignificant. Also, I can take a more general approach. For example, if I were to dress "goth," I could write about the social norm of dressing "normal." I don't have to actually want to be goth.

Now, let's get those creative juices flowing. It might help to start by listing social norms.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about (automatic) respect for elders (even though they may be twats.)

mrgagaa said...

Something particularly true about our society that you don't find in many others is the overuse of "sorry" and "thank you." We use these expressions for even the simplest things, and in some of the cultures with which I'm familiar, you just don't say these words for every instance in which we might find them appropriate. I once had a foreign professor who said ours was "the culture of sorry." :)

Another idea is the overabundant use of "I love you."

naturgesetz said...

Walking on the right when approaching and going by someone walking in the opposite direction.

Talking incessantly on a cell phone. (Just kidding, it isn't a social norm to do that *yet*.)

Anonymous said...

Hmm... suggestions I found:

- Before a class begins, go around the classroom and shake hands with everyone; say "good morning (afternoon)" to them or use other words to welcome them to class today.
- Acting otherwise completely normally, hold hands with a same-sex friend (who is "in" on the project) while you walk across campus; AND/OR, Surprise 3 of your same-sex friends with a kiss on the cheek.
- Wear unusual clothing (or even lack of) to class or other public places (e.g. your bunny slippers; your hooded sweatshirt on backwards; barefooted to lunch).

I'd also remember to inform any strangers you come in to contact with, perhaps after you've recorded their reaction etc., of what your research is and why you did what you did :)

J said...

What are more fascinating are the norms of 50 or 60 years ago that now are superceded or rarely observed. How about
a. opening car and building doors for women, or walking between a woman and the street to protect her from the splash of passing vehicles;
b. scrupulous avoidance of the use of profanity in ordinary discourse
c. social avoidance of people with tatoos or piercings (other than of on the earlobes of girls)
d. avoidance in dinner conversation of things related to politics or religion
e. the generalized absence of shame in society; these days celebrities aren't shunned because they are public sluts, abuse alcohol and drugs, commit crimes or have porngraphic pictures of themselves made and published
f. interracial dating is not a taboo
Of course, the relaxation of norms has made it possible for the Carwins of the world to come out.

OlyQueerKid said...

I had a friend that just completed this assignment! She is androgynous enough to do something like use the men's bathroom, but here are the other ideas we thought of

catch and keep eye contact at a red light.

Talk in the bathroom.

Change clothes in the middle of class, putting on and removing one article of clothing at a time

Just simple things like that.

Steven Lester said...

Since your fellow students are aware of the Social Norm project period, it is possible to get away with so much more than normally within that time frame. Since it is your desire to be completely out by Winter Break, this is a good time to shake up your fellow students so as to make the real announcement less affecting, shall we say.

Holding hands is one of the most ambiguous things we do with each other; it all depends on the relationship we have with the other person and/or the circumstances under which it is done. We could hold our mother's hand or even our father's hand during a sickness, say, and be considered caring people. The prospect of death causes the taboos to fall. Holding hands with a girl carries all kinds of messages, usually about romance, although romantic ardor usually needs to be confirmed before anyone can know for sure, and, of course, holding hands with a another guy one's own age carries romantic news too, with all kinds of other assumptions being tossed out or in depending upon what other roles the guys have been playing, from rugged athlete to sensitive poet. Two all-guys in every other respect, when holding hands, would create all kinds of confusion in the heads of all observers, even if that was all they did, and if they had big muscles and were known to not be reluctant to hit hard if abused, people would be reluctant to even ask them if it was for real or not.

So, my idea would be to find the most rugged and athletic guys you can convince to do this with and, after assuring him that you would emphasize over and over that he wasn't gay to the school society, and that he did this only because he wanted to show the power of social norms in everybody's life and how it tends to make people so much less real, after, of course, letting him know that you are gay first (oh, what an interesting dynamic all of this would be for you both and your school!), you both just hold hands from time to time, not constantly, just enough to be provocative, but not so much as to confirm.

Admittedly, this would only work if the other guy was a rebel inside, looked the part of all-guy, and was known to be lady's man and knew himself to be the same (in short, was sexually confident about his own self). Well, that's my suggestion, although it is probably more for the truly mature rather than high school age. You are mostly there already, but finding somebody else to match you might be a bit difficult. Call me weird if you want.

Mike said...

Standing very close to someone in an elevator when there is no one else in the elevator.

I remember doing this. Is this AP Lit 12. Fun essay. We also did one on tacky stuff. I wrote about those cars plastered with 1000s of bumperstickers.

Jason Carwin said...

I love all these ideas so far. I really like the one about staring at people when stopped at a red light, talking in the bathroom, and holding hands with another guy (but it's unlikely that I'll be out in time. This project needs to start happening by next week.

Steevo said...

at urinals always get next to someone if u can

make eye contact

"hey howz yer day"

dont look down at boi parts

just close and familiar

if u r in a stall and someone come sin next to u
talk to him
sports
weather
test
damn i got this xyz test i might now pass...

make a small 1/4 meo to hand them when u r done

Anonymous said...

what about: respecting older people -simply because they are older. the biggest crap of all social norms.

Joshua