Yesterday, I overheard two Sophomore boys having an argument. One insisted that "soccer is for fags" and the other (his friend) responded that soccer is perfectly straight because he plays soccer. The argument went back and forth as they argued about "how faggy" soccer was in comparison to other sports.
The "soccer=gay" boy plays Water Polo and swims and his mother is the swim coach. And my parents wonder why I quit both sports...
(Well, mostly I quit because I hated it, but I also didn't want to deal with this homophobic bullshit. The team didn't used to be that way. It used to be accepting over everyone. In other words, it was a team. Now it's just a bunch of little cliques within the team and nobody trusts each other. It's awful)
In unrelated news, I found a new blog. I don't remember how I found it, but I somehow ended up on NYU Online and I saw the link to this blog. It's an interesting read. It's written by two NYU students (one gay male and one female) and it's just about life as a young person (in New York).
Check it out: Jess and Josh
8 comments:
OK, so I'm not gay, I'm open. Figure out what that means...
Yea, I played soccer. Started as a fullback, but since I hate to run more than 10 feet at a time, I switched to keeper. I was pretty good at that position since I'm tall and have a good reach. I kinda liked the fact that I could judiciously meet out punishment, but if anyone touched me, they would get penalized.
Before I played soccer, I was on the swim team for like 6 years. Gave that up because the HS team required getting up gawd awful early in the AM - not for me, thank you.
I love water polo. People don't realize how physical this sport is.
Now I don't do any sports except going to the gym - gotta keep in shape somehow.
As far as the above sports being gay, I can kinda see where the is coming from, but wtf. The meathead complaining about how gay soccer is probably is a football player - a lower form of life. Why care what he thinks?
That's odd. Maybe opinions have changed since when I was in high school.
I quite agree with the last statement by Anonymous above, some guys who play some sports will demean other sports.
the general concensus among my 'friends' is that soccer is gay
>_>
i find it REALLY immature when people say this.
i tihnk in north america, thre seems to be a devide- some think soccer is a good sport, and totally normal, and some think its boring, and gay
the ones who think its boring and gay most likely have never even watched a game, so really, they're in no position to comment on it anyways
i played soccer as a kid and i do think soccer is boring (along with a lot of other sports)what can i say...i'm choosy lol
Peace:)
I'm with Aek in that opinions must've changed. When I was in high school wrestling was "the gay sport."
Some consider swimming to be a gay sport, but at my school, people don't really characterize sports as gay. We have super athletic guys playing all kinds of sports.
That said, I recall that my water polo and swim coach once talked to us about why water polo wasn't a gay sport compared to Football. His argument was that football guys slapped each other on the butt.
While he had a good point, I was perplexed why the conversation was even happening. Can anyone say homophobe?
In Germany soccer defenitley is considered as a hetero sport. It is the sport most people enjoy. You get thousends of people watching a soccer game. It reveals to me how stupid all prejudices are.
RR
Yeah - I was going to say that in the UK the Premier League is deeply heterosexual and they'd punch you on the nose if you suggested otherwise.
'Gay' is an insult sometimes used against top players here by morons in the stands - but just occasionally a footballer comes out and everyone is nice to him.
Of course they are - it against several laws here now not to be!
Post a Comment