A few days ago, I wrote about my dad thinking my social norm project was coming out.
I have since decided that I will make coming out my project. However, unlike most people, I will continue to break this social norm after the project ends.
Here's the plan:
1) Tell Parents (check)
2) Tell brother (check)
3) Tell closest friends (planning on doing this tonight.)
4) Write essay about this all etc.
Here's the kicker:
My teacher has us turn in our essays online. Rather than having us email the essays to him, we post our essays in an online forum that anyone in the class can read. Therefore, on Friday, December 4, I will post an essay about how I am coming out of the closet.
While anyone can read it, I doubt anybody will actually read it. However, if just one person reads it, they'll realize that this is some major gossip and tell everyone else to read it. In any case, I expect to be out at school by the following week.
As for telling the friends:
Tonight, all my closest friends and I will be having a day-after-thanksgiving-dinner. I plan to tell them all at dinner. This way, nobody will be “the last one to know.” I love all my friends equally, and I want all of us to be together when I share the news of my homosexuality.
I'm a bit concerned that I'll chicken out tonight. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is my last chance if I want to write the essay, so technically, this is homework.
11 comments:
Jason -
You never cease to amaze me with you forthrightness and your courage. You have a sense of maturity way beyond your years.
If we all had the same self-confidence, conviction, and courage it would certainly make this process so much easier for all. You are truly an inspiration for those of us still fighting to come out to our friends and family. You are a role model for those who are younger than you struggling to find themselves.
I wish you all the best with your dinner tonight. I cannot wait to hear about the reactions you will receive. I have no doubt your friends will continue to love you just as they always have.
Keep us posted on the paper. (Personally, I would love to read it.) We are all hoping for the best as your story develops within your school and beyond.
Sending you nothing but positive & optimistic thoughts.
- JC
Ballsy move chap, my hat is off to you.
Good luck, and above all...
Courage and Honour!
Octavius.
I'm in shock. The best of luck to you!!! That's courageous to say the least!!! I have no doubt things will go well with your friends.
I like how you chose to make this your project! haha
Homework! I love it!
Another aspect to this is that you are breaking another norm by having your project be real, rather than phony. So you get people's reactions when they realize that it's not phony. (Here, unfortunately, your dad could factor in bigtime. Do you have the heart to revisit that for your irl friends and schoolmates to see?)
*hugs*
Well I wish you all the luck in telling your friends that you are gay and hope things will go well for you at school too
Wow, good luck man. Things will turn out alright. You've shown tons more courage than many others can fathom for someone your age, so this will only propel you forward.
*Hugs*
I'm really proud of you! Best of luck this evening and I do hope you'll share your essay with us; I'd love to read it.
Jason .. all I can say I hope it goes well ... but no matter where the cards fall .. you damn sure have the strenght to get threw anything.(and the support ) .... my best wishes and thoughts go out to you .... Just
Good luck with it Jason...i hope to hear that it all went well for you
Peace:)
A bold and cunning plan. Wish you the best of luck.
Post a Comment