Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm Back

I've been sick and too exhausted to post.

I had a fever over the weekend, but I'm fine now. Now I just have a lung-cancer cough and an irritated throat. I don't have a sore throat. It only hurts when I swallow food, drink liquids, or yawn. It's a bit problematic because I don't eat much anymore (but part of this problem is that I'm not hungry. Being sick does this to me).

Also, I am really stressed out with Senior year, which is not helping things.

Does anyone know what I can do to make my throat stop hurting? It's really annoying.

13 comments:

R. Burnett Baker said...

Gargle regularly with salt/warm water till it's healed.

mrgagaa said...

I was just gonna say what your first commenter wrote, but he beat me to it. :) Most importantly, though, you need to get your rest. It's so conducive to the recovery process.

Anonymous said...

I agree with above comments also try using Halls cough drops (honey lemon) they are effective
You could use the ones with or w/o the medicine they both work just as well

Crap Newsman said...

Try honey. It soothes and lubricates the throat.

naturgesetz said...

The family doctor once told me that alternating hot and cold things (e.g., tea and ice cream: a swallow of tea followed by a spoonful of ice cream; repeat until you've finished both) soothes the throat.

The gargle is probs a good idea too.

Ryan said...

Def Honey lemon salt warm water...

Def

Lots of love,
Ryan

JP said...

Mix honey and lemon juice in equal parts. Start with a tablespoon or so of each, it does wonders for a cough and sore throat.

JP

Staff said...

Honey, tea, sip on tea I do that when mine is sore. Sprite, 7 UP does good also, make sure you drink it warm, heard having anything cold actually will make it worse, so I have heard.

Aek said...

Warm/hot tea works great. Also, a tablespoon of honey in warm water will do wonders as well.

There actually was a study that indicated that a bit of honey does soothe the throat to some degree.

Jason Carwin said...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm definitely going to try it.


About the honey, I've heard it has antibiotic properties. I think I read that in the WSJ 2 years ago.

Jacob said...

A couple of years ago I had laryngitis. The doctor recommended that I drink ginger tea with honey but probably ginger tea can only be found at an Asian store. Alternative was to drink lemon tea with honey. I think warm drinks are supposed to be better than cold but I've heard that fresh lime or lemon juice is helpful.

I say avoid carbonated drinks, even ginger ale. I think gargling with warm salt water only helps to loosen things up in your throat that you need to cough up. Ginger, lemon, lime, and honey has substances in it that soothes the the sore throat pain.

If your appetite prevents you from drinking enough fluids go with lemon and honey cough drops.

-Jacob

Anonymous said...

Have your mom or dad go pick up a package of a tea called Throat Coat. It's made by Traditional Medicinals and it works wonders. Let it steep in the cup for at least 10 minutes and then add some extra honey to it. It tastes and smells a bit like anise (or Sambucca for those who drink) and does wonders on the throat. No caffeine in it either.

Tyler said...

hmm, i went thru a really bad sore throat a couple weeks ago.

my mom gave me a bunch of zinc pills to help my soar throat i think

...but i dont think u can just go buy these at the store

also, cut out alllllllllllllll sugar