Saturday, November 28, 2009

Coming Out to my Friends

Rep. Aaron Schock. Continue reading to learn more.

Here's what happened:

We were all lounging about in the game room chatting about stuff. I waited for an opening to grab the attention for myself. This was perhaps the most difficult part of the night. It would have been so easy to just kick this down the road a bit.

Our conversations were rarely united. It was mostly just 3 separate conversations going on while we all sat in a circle. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't even join a conversation because I was concentrating on my own dilemma: Should I just wait until a later time? Another friend is joining this party, and I'm not ready for him to know yet. This could happen later. It doesn't need to happen now. But I need this for my essay. This is homework, so I have to do it. No excuses. No more procrastinating. It's time.

I guess, in the end, it was the homework aspect that pulled me through that moment. It's astonishingly geeky to admit this, but it's true. Bringing yourself to say "I'm gay" is so difficult, and I think a you really need some strong motivation.

Then, my friend found some old (2007) letters that she had received from us, and wanted to read them aloud to see how much things have changed. I interrupted her and said, “Before we do that, I need to tell you all something: I'm gay.”

As usual, this created a short awkward silence, which I quickly filled: “The only people at our school who know this are the people in this room. If you guys need to gossip about it, which is completely understandable, please do it with each other. I really would like this to stay a secret for at least a little while. That said, I know that this will get out, so if anyone comes up to you and asks if I am gay, please tell me so I can change it on Facebook. I would rather out myself rather than be outed by the rumor mill. It's more dignified that way.”

I really hate that awkward silence, but I'm not sure if there is a better alternative or even a way to get rid of it. My friends were not surprised that I am gay, they were surprised that I was coming out. I think that no matter how close someone is to you, they will still be surprised when you come out.

Also, I think people sorta expect a little speech. Personally, I would rather just start chatting about it. I hate the speech delivery aspect.

After that, we just sorta went back to reading the hilarious letters from 10th grade. Later, I chatted with my friends individually about it. I wasn't able to talk to everyone because another friend joined the party about 15 minutes after I came out, and I was not ready for him to know. We all had to keep it under wraps while he was there. I guess now my friends have got a little taste of what it's like to be in the closet.



Some funny statements from the night (these are not all the same Friend):

Friend: “Ok, now that you're gay. I need to know this: Do you think Secretary of the Treasury Tim Geithner is hot?
Me: “He looks good considering he's 48, but he's not the hottest politician. Have you seen Representative Aaron Schock of Illinois. He's smokin!”

Friend: “Ya, my mom knew the first time she shook your hand.”

Friend: “I always knew, I mean, come on, you love Lady Gaga and Kathy Griffin. Also, it was always awkward when we played MASH. You could never think of a hot woman to marry. I remember, once you said Megan Fox, which was super trashy.”

Friend: “Damnit, now we can't get married. Now I have to find a man as amazing as you!”





As I was driving home, It's Raining Men came on the radio. I think it was God applauding me.

23 comments:

Ryan said...

CONGRATZ!!!!! God I am sure was applauding as am I! Good job! And it seems that your friends took it well! hats off to you good sir!

Lots of love,
Ryan

Kayess said...

congrats jason! haha ur friends all sound wonderful and i'm glad you went through with it.

haha good luck with the rest of the school ;)

Ty said...

Congrats man...i'm glad it went so well for you

your friends sound like an awesome bunch of ppl

peace:P

Boyd and Lloyd said...

Congrats!

Your group of friends does indeed sound like an awesome one.

Love,
Boyd

J said...

Excellent. You have your license to let your freak flags fly. Now watch and see if the news changes anything in your life.
But the story puzzles me because of the surfacing of another gay stereotype: the idea that all gays are "limp wrists". Do you have a firm handshake or a soft one, and have you ever consciously paid attention to it?

cvn70 said...

Jason

I am very proud of you and hoping that this is just the begining of a new lie for you

and i know how difficult it is to say those words. Take care and be safe

bob

Jason Carwin said...

No, I have a firm handshake. That's what perplexed me. My friend suggested that maybe it's overly firm.

Anonymous said...

I'm in no way equal to God but I'm applauding in my own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhkPoj9tJ4

MartininBroda said...

It's Raining Men was certainly a sign, :-)
congratulations.

torchy! said...

well done Jason!

hope you're not getting too hung up over your Dad hoping this was part of the project (a few posts ago).

of course your Dad wanted you to be str8. but above all he wants you to be happy. he was just clutching at a straw that he could have both, that's all.

now he knows it's not part of the project, he'll get used to it quickly. i know it.

best wishes
torchy!

Anonymous said...

oh God.... i laughed soooo hard coz of ur last sentence! XD isnt God great!? thats why i chose 2 be a catholic! XD

Joey said...

I am just sitting here with a big smile on my face because I am happy to hear it went well. You must have some truly incredible friends.

I loved the last friend comment about getting married. Had the same response from a great friend of mine. Couldn't help but laugh.

We are all applauding you for your courage and the outcome. Way to go!

naturgesetz said...

I'm really glad it went so well! What I find most interesting is that so many of them already knew and had no problem with it. We think we'll be rejected, and some of us will be, by some people. But there is also acceptance, especially by friends. Still, that's an awesome group of friends you have.

And interesting about mothers too. Once I drove one of the two guys I was out to at work to his mother's place for some reason or other. Later he told me that she had informed him that I was homosexual. I was surprised because I'm pretty straight acting I think. The only thing I can think is that I was too complimentary about him to her. Also, she might have been on the alert because, even though he didn't think so, he was probably gay, and I think she knew.

Again, congrats.

B said...

Amazing, love like your friends reacted on your coming out. Congrats I'm happy for you, you should change your profile, you're not in the closet anymore.

I wish that all of my friends were kinda that supportive and amazing and not homophobic, I can't even think about coming out :(

Well, for now I only met one person who understood me, and that person knows all about me :D and she is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I didn't get this part about homework, but it's probably cause I started to read your blog yesterday... OK, let me get this straight, you had to come out for your homework, what kind of project is that? I would like to know, cause sounds so... nice and free...

Aek said...

^_^

I'm glad it worked out as well as you knew it would. Awkward silences are indeed awkward, but then they're over and things are okay again!

How do you feel now? Relieved? Of course happy.

Steevo said...

kudos kiddo!

ya done it.

i am proud

Seth said...

nowhere near god-like, but many applause and kudos from Sethboyardee!

:)

Tyler said...

lol. ur last line defo sounds like a good mlia :P

J said...

Sounds like your friend's mom was full of shit.

Anonymous said...

lol I loved that part about your friend marrying you

Ick Geithner in my opinion is far from hot

D. said...

congrats!! feels great doesn't it :D

Palmerr said...

thats awesome man. congratulations

Planetx_123 said...

*smiles big*
I'm really happy for you-- thats sooo awesome.

Steve