Thursday, November 26, 2009

I Did It: I Came Out to the Twin


And it went really well. :)

I just walked in, said, “hey, I need to tell you something. I'm gay.”

Eric(his name): “Ok. Why are you telling me this now?”

Jason: “Because I'm going to tell my friends soon, and naturally, it will get out at school. I want you to know ahead of time. I told Mom and Dad a while ago. This should not be a surprise, right?”

Eric: “Well, I don't make assumptions... Why didn't you tell me when you told mom and dad?”

Jason: “You weren't there... ”

Eric: “Oh. Ok. I'm not sure how my friends will react. I'll be rooting for you, but I just don't know how they feel about it. I think they are tolerant though.”

Jason“I think the kids in our grade will be fine with it. It's the younger ones who are immature about it.”

Eric: “Ya, I agree. And I commend your bravery. I'm impressed.”

[Enter discussion about random homophobes at our school]

Jason: Please don't tell anyone until I am officially out. It should happen within a few weeks. Also, please do not bring it up tonight. The adults are rather homophobic. One is from Kentucky and makes gay jokes and another is of the anti-gay evangelical group.

Eric: “Ya. Of course I won't tell anyone. You know what's funny. I thought gay people were supposed to be stylish. What happened to you? You don't fit the stereotypes. You don't have a high pitched voice. You don't have a lisp either.”

Jason: “Oh, I know. I'm a terrible gay. It kinda sucks because I wish I were fashionable. I have to take girls shopping with me. I don't know any musicals, I can't sing. It sucks. But, I sorta have a lisp now because these temporary crowns do not fit properly.”

Eric: “Oh good. Now you can cruise and pick up gay guys.”



You guys were right. It went better than I could have imagined. This is how coming out should be. We were joking about it within minutes. He was so supportive. He even seemed to grasp that this was a difficult thing to do and said he would support me at school.

I'm so happy. This went so well. It's great. I'm all smiles, and now I'm rocking out to Lady Gaga

I guess it goes to show that even though we aren't very close, he is still there for me just as I am still there for him. I think we'll start to grow closer after this; at least, I hope we do.

Now I'm drunk with happiness. I feel like I could take on the world. I'm planning on coming out to my friends tomorrow, and I feel like it will be a piece of cake. You can expect a post tomorrow about why I'm doing this.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Another milestone down...

Your brother seems to be very understanding, and why wouldn't he be.

And LOL at what he said last!

Anyway, heres hoping it'll go down well to your friends, school, and everyone else :o

Pierre said...

I think this is one of your best posts. Im so happy for you.

Tyler said...

WOOT! :D

Dave83201 said...

What a great post to read on Thanksgiving. My eyes are all teary. Couldn't be happier for you!

Jason Carwin said...

Thanks, everyone. This really did make my Thanksgiving.

Lightning Baltimore said...

Hooray!

Mr. Urs said...

Absolutely fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. So your straight brother just dissed your sense of style. Ouch!!

Aek said...

Like everyone else has already said, congrats!! I'm so glad it went better than good, lol.

It truly does make one's Thanksgiving, doesn't it? You've a lot to be thankful for this year. :-P

Steven Lester said...

These last two posts have confirmed for me what some others have told me about a quote they heard, "The greatest source for social change is the hearse." I'm afraid that nobody knew who the original source was, but I like the idea.

We all can see the difference between how "adults" view you and react when you tell them, and how your peers (exactly like your brother) have or will react when you tell them. Instead of "OH MY GOD!!!" your brother made jokes about it, and that change of attitude will eventually filter down to the voting booth and marriage for gay folks will be as legal as any other kind of social contract is today.

All we have to do is wait until my generation dies off and sanity can once again rule the land.

Your stories have lent strength to my hopes, Mr. "Carwin". Whoever you really are, your writing has made your blog my favorite.

Steven Lester said...

Oh, wait. Exchange "force" for "source" within the quote. I'm full of turkey right now, and the digestion processes have affected my brain.

CrawlingOutOfTheCloset said...

Woohoo!!! Congrats! I love hearing stories like this! Everything always turns out better than expected! Sometimes I wonder why I waited so long to tell some people, but than again the fear and uncertainty is only something we know about so when people ask why I didn't tell them sooner they wouldn't understand.

But I'm happy for you! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

naturgesetz said...

Yay!

:)

Just said...

Cheers Jason ..... Cheers man .... glad it when down the way it did .... you are one blessed dude ... Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving ..... Just

torchy! said...

awesome! hi-5's to you *and* your bro.

there's quite a few bloggers who have twins that they think are almost 'estranged'. maybe this post will give home to those guys too.

blood is a strong tie.

torchy!

torchy! said...

*sigh*

i meant, of course '...will give hoPe to those guys too'.

t!

Anonymous said...

really will one more congrats really make a difference?

Well I'll let you answer that one and I will say congrats on coming out.

Yeah I'm the same way I'm a terrible gay I don't know anything about fashion at all

The Geek In Question said...

Bravo. (*insert standing ovation consisting of one Geek here*)

Enjoy the ride...this is the part where you discover 1. that MOST people are decent, 2. those who aren't decent really aren't worth any of your energy anyways, and 3. who your true friends really are.

Woot!

Seth said...

Wow!! Congratulations totally! I'm so happy for you.

:)

idkwhatsthat said...

Congratulations!!!

cvn70 said...

Jason


im vey happy it went this good and i wish you good luck with your friends from school

take care and be safe

bob

D. said...

awesome!! you didn't ask him if he was too? :P

JP said...

Congratulations!

Dzyan said...

You can just feel the love in the air, Congratulations, in my opinion there´s nothing more to be thankful about, great job.

Love
Me

Mike said...

His genuine interest is amazing! Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Woot! Congrats!
Dodger

Steevo said...

kewlness...

*others take note!*

Planetx_123 said...

double woot!

Much Love-
Steve

Esper said...

Glad to hear that... =)
Like your blog...

Esper.

Anonymous said...

What can I say? well done!!! Good luck with the next phase :)

Boyd and Lloyd said...

Woo, way to go!

You'll get a double-hug from the two of us. :D

- B&L

DeviantSon said...

I echo the thoughts before me congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Glad it went well.

"Stylish and lisp?" When I came out to my brother he asked if I was going to start singing Broadway tunes. LOL.

I can't carry a tune in a basket! Nor am I stylish or talk with a lisp. Some gay I am, eh?

Jason Carwin said...

Lol, Wet Kyle. That's a pretty funny story.

Anonymous said...

Anti-gays for the most part are indeed older people who will die off soon - good riddance AFAIAC.

But anyway - exceptional performance by you and your brother!

R. Burnett Baker said...

A show tune for you: "....One, singular sensation, every little step he takes......."

That should sum up today for you! Congrats!

That's from A Chorus Line, BTW....

Rick

Steevo said...

@R.B. Baker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA

I think we should all send Jason a musical number he should listen to. They shsould ne "iconic" so he gets up proper homo speed ASAP:

Here's mine:
From Oklahoma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DOuDipKFuQ

A special Pulitzer Prize was awarded to Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II for Oklahoma! in the category of "Special Awards And Citations - Letters" in 1944.[4]

This was a SMASH hit in 1943 [middle of WWII] when it opened on Broadway.

steevo