Monday, October 19, 2009

Telling the Twin

How can I tell him?

We are very busy, and don't see each other that often. By the time we are both home, we have retreated to our rooms and are working on homework. It will be super awkward to just walk into his room and say, “Hey! Guess what? I'm gay. Please don't tell anyone.”

Also, we don't eat together because we have crazy schedules.

Any ideas on how to tell him?

Parents will be out of town all week, so I have until Friday to tell him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
Is your twin identical? There is another blog by an identical twin near your age whose brother is straight, Kay. The blog is closed but one of us could get a note to Kay to invite you , if you don't know about it already.

Stick a note on your brother's PC screen saying you have something important to tell him in person.
R

Aek said...

I like Dodger's suggestion. Leave a note on his computer or his door saying you have something you want to talk to him about. Don't know if that will/won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I'd suggest is get onto this as soon as you possibly can - it would be nice not to have leave it until the last minute, eh?

I'm sure it'll go better if you make it clear pretty early on that your parents know the score (and no thunderbolt has arrived from heaven or anywhere else - not yet anyway (!))

Anonymous said...

You planed very long to talk with your parents and on Friday you just took the chance to talk in saying "Mom, Dad, can we talk about something." Get your twin to know the same and let him decide the time to listen. You know him very well. How did you start in the past telling your twin important messages?

RR

Anonymous said...

J, are you and your twin not close? I mean most twins I know, while not bickering, basically share each other's secrets - either consciously or unconsciously. I might go as far to say that you will be confirming what he already knows.

mrgagaa said...

I know this is going to sound weird, but if you guys hardly see each other and you don't get the chance to sit down and talk, you could always tell your twin in written form. Either write a letter or shoot him an email. That way you know he'll get the message even if you can't tell him in person. Then later you can discuss it when the opportunity arises. I know, I know, strange way of coming out to your twin, but I'm just taking into consideration your guys' divergent schedules.

Ryan said...

I def think that a note saying you have something important to talk about (make sure you STRESS the important part!) is the best way. I recomend PC screen that way nobody removes it fro mthe door or it doesnt blow away or anything... anyways... stress the importance and if for some reson he doesnt respond, send an email telling him you have something important to tell him! last chance. if no response, just tell him in an email.

Lots of love and a good luck hug,
Ryan

Steevo said...

*Jason and his twin go to the same school.*

Do you always carpool?

Maybe 1 day this week, jason, u offer to drive just the 2 of you and tell him in the car. He could use carpool going home. Egg McMuffin on the way? 1/2 jk but u might like them or some BK thing.

Dan and I have some important talks while driving. IDK why but other people have told me the same thing. Perhaps it is less intense and you can pause to think as u watch out for insane drivers and red lights or green?

YES! Dont procrastinate. I think, just maybe, that u have that tendency in matters such as these, which is perfectly understandable.

ALSO: [U ASKED!]

If it is not done by rents' return, it makes u look somewhat less than mature and competent. Now that "they know", fuckups, even minor, MAY take on a new meaning as they worry how u r gonna do when it comes to navigating the gay waters ahead at a uni 3K miles away. Not fair maybe, but rents r human too and this is all very new for them.

Also be prepared for him to maybe want to talk about whether your sexuality has been part of th less than typical twin brothers relationship.

Were u ever 2 peas in a pod?

steevo in cali
.
.
.

Tyler said...

maybe make an appointment with him?

....


like... just mention to him u wanna talk at some point.... and you two could maybe have a casual appointment....

Anonymous said...

You were dying to coming out to your parents, and you don't want anyone to broadcast it? You opened Pandora's box. Don't let twin hear it from someone else; even if it is you parents. Be quick and get it over with and get on with you life.

cvn70 said...

jason

I agree with tyoler in a way, tell your twin you need a half hour of his time this week im sure you two have some flexibility

I do wish you luck about fidning the right words to tell him. take care and be safe

bob

The Teej said...

I'm a twin as well, and when i went to talk to my brother, and tell him i was gay, it was very difficult. However, he stopped me as i was psyching myself to tell him, and he said "it's ok, your gay, i know". If you guys we're close at all while growing up, chances are your brother knows you as well as you do. But yes, i do suggest talking to him about it even if he's retreated to his room for homework, just go talk to him.