Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Innovation

My mom and I spent some time last night talking about innovation. Specifically, we talked about Google and Apple. It was an interesting discussion, and I want to go over the points made, but I don't have the time right now, so expect a post about this sometime in the near future.

4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

LFTI

naturgesetz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Planetx_123 said...

Looking forward to it (oh, I see what NG did up there).

Google is very innovative, and I believe this has to do with their 80/20 time policy. This is an interesting policy that they are famous for. Apple probably has some similar means of innovating-- maybe not though. Apple's innovation has been primarily limited to usability (and some manufacturing innovations, Im sure). But since few companies had spent real brain power on usability, they were unique in this, and did it at the right time when the technology could handle it. They deserve a lot of credit for this, but let's not over-emphasize it. Companies like Google and Microsoft are actually innovating technologies that make the world go around. Apple doesn't do this (except for themselves), and its unfortunate that public opinion, which knows very little about the 'whole story', views Apple as the bread winner in the innovation department.

Of course I am biased, since I'm a microsoft fanboy-- oh and I've hated apple since I was a kid.

Steve

S. said...

LFTI