Sunday, October 18, 2009

Recent Updates

Hey,

Sorry that I haven't posted recently. It's really hard to get enough privacy to write a post. As you know, my laptop died, so I have to use the family computer.

Quick update on what's happened:

- My mom and I talked about telling my friends. She suggested waiting until Senioritis because it could be difficult for me or my friends, and she doesn't want me dealing with even more stressful things right now. She has a point.
- I still haven't told my twin. I think my parents want me to tell him soon. The problem is that my twin and I don't talk that much. We have very different lives and are very busy so our paths don't cross that often.
- I joined my parents and their friends last night for my dad's birthday celebration (51 years old). The friends asked where I was applying, and one started arguing for Duke. My dad responded that they refused to send their son into bigotry and intolerance. This related to something my parents know about the school, but it was nice that they realized that the South is probably not the best place for an openly gay person. I don't want to make sweeping generalizations, but for the most part, I think I will be staying in/near urban areas.

13 comments:

Steevo said...

i bet dad made a point of saying that for your benefit.

Don't u think a lotta yer friends already kinda know u r gay?

Come out at school? Heck, you might find some romance or some boy fun. NO harm in that if u both r into it.

Brad came out. Did he get shit? Would u? Come out of th closet, but leave the sequined jr hi prom dress in there! How about that water polo outfit? jk u kno

;-)

miss u on msn :-(

steevo
.
.
.

Aek said...

I agree, your mom has a good point. And it's good to see your parents stick up for you like that (unbeknown to their friends).

Steevo posed a good question - what happened to Brad at school after he came out?

loki4469 said...

The Chapel Hill are of N.C. is very gay friendly, you should talk to CarlKR about the area.

naturgesetz said...

Unless it's specifically related to sexual issues, I'm surprised at your father's remark about Duke. When I was there for grad school in the 1960's, my professor of Constitutional Law was Robert S. Rankin, a member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.

J said...

With all due respect, your father's opinion of Duke as a place where you would be subjected to bigotry and intolerance is dead wrong. And while we're at it, there was a TV news story within the last week that reported the Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill had the highest percentage of college graduates in its population among all urban areas of the country. Since you're into reasoning, did you ever ask your father to tell you the factual basis for his opinion?

Jason Carwin said...

It has to do with a family friend who went to Duke. She is an African-American woman, and she encountered astonishing amounts of racism. She transferred out after 1 year. The stories she has are quite shocking. This was 3 years ago.

Of course, perhaps she was just in a bad niche of the school. I think that any school of that size will have its racists and its liberals and its everything

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Jason the south isn't very found of accepting people who are gay so I doubt it would be a wise choice and I stand behind my comment 100%

As for racism yeah their is a good amount of it down south also. That is one of the debates about the people who got hit by Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana.

Anonymous said...

Yup, big cities are where the 'scene' is. Even small places like Santa Barbara can be accepting, but we don't even have our own club here. :)

Mike said...

Every college has its horror stories. I could tell you a thing or two or three about mine...

Go where you feel comfortable and don't let anyone influence you other than yourself. That's my best advice :).

Anonymous said...

It's good to see how your parents love and support you.

RR

Anonymous said...

you have a twin that you're not close at all. That's crazy, all twins I know know each other pretty well. But whatever

Anonymous said...

Advice: Small liberal arts college in a city (not a suburb).
Benefits:
-Profs let you do research with them (even in soc. sciences)
-Profs become friends
-School usually goes out of its way to give you what you want because they're desperate to make you into a money machine so they can up their endowment.

idkwhatsthat said...

I've heard things about income issues at Duke, but never about that.
I'm applying to UNC Chapel Hill and they have a more diverse environment, so you could choose that instead.