Monday, October 12, 2009

Obama's Big Gay Speech

As some of you may know, Obama gave a speech in Washington about LGBT Rights. Here is the transcript of his closing statements, which I found to be very relevant:

"And tonight, somewhere in America, a young person—let's say a young man—will struggle to fall asleep: Wrestling alone with a secret he's held for as long as he can remember; And soon, he will decide that it is time to let that secret out.

"What happens next depends on him and his family as well as his friends, his teachers, and his community, but it also depends on us: On the kind of society we engender and the kind of future we build.

"I believe the future is bright for that young person. For while there will be setbacks and bumps along the road, the truth is that our common ideals are a force far stronger than any division. These ideals, when voiced by generations of citizens, are what made it possible for me to stand here today.

"These ideals made it possible for the people in this room to live freely and openly when for most of history, that would have been inconceivable. That's the promise of America and HRC; that's the promise we're called on to fulfill; day by day, law by law, changing mind by mind, this is the promise we are fulfilling."

[STANDING OVATATION]

I'm not going to write about politics, because that has already been dealt with by pundits and bloggers around the country. I want to point out the human element that Obama skillfully introduced.

I think he's the first President who every showed empathy or understanding of the closeted homosexual or bisexual. When he started into this story, I really thought of myself, but I also thought about everyone else in blogland. I found his words encouraging and meaningful, and I hope he inspired some of you as well.

Bravo, Mr. President.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right in mentioning the human element Obama has introduced into the national dialogue on closeted homosexuals. At the same time, though, a part of me is disappointed and wondering if much of what Obama says is simply empty rhetoric. Yeah, he gives elegant speeches and wins people over with his oratory skills, but is there substance to back up what he says? Will there be policy measures to reflect the positions he advocates? I don't mean to get too into politics either, and don't get me wrong, I like the guy and voted for him last year, but sometimes I want something a little deeper than words alone. I was disappointed in his flip-flops on health care ("there must be a public option" --> "it's not absolutely necessary, as long as there's reform"), and I was equally puzzled recently with his Nobel Peace Prize after only 9 months in office and two wars still in place. (Not to mention plans to escalate troop levels in one of those wars).

Jason Carwin said...

Ya, the lack of policy change (especially in regards to homosexuality) is disturbing, but I do believe that he offers us the best hope of any of the candidates in 2008 and of any Presidents.

Let's face it: Bush wasn't about to give a speech like this.

McCain probably wouldn't have either.

Palin would NEVER.

Clinton tried and FAILED epically to deal with the ban on gays in the military. Also, he signed DOMA.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you J - and he's not even my President! But I would have voted for him if I could and, of course, what he says and does affects all of us in western democracies intimately and many who are not pretty fundamentally too.

I certainly welcome what I see as a change in attitude from the Bushs' years. It is as though he wishes to change society. I hope he succeeds.

Mr. Urs said...

Some years ago our president (Switzerland) held the keynote address at our Pride. He opened with "Dear ladies & ladies, dear gentlemen & gentlemen". From then on, it didn't actually matter what he further said. Just the feeling to be officially recognised made it one of the best days in my life. Nevertheless, actions still speak louder than words.

Jason Carwin said...

Mr. Urs. How does the Swiss (central) government work? I lived in Switzerland for 4 months, and on (American) Thanksgiving Day, my teachers sent us on a scavenger hunt.

One of the things we had to find (out) was who was the President of Switzerland. I went to the tourist office and asked the people there, but the man just started speaking German, so I didn't understand a word.

I understand that Switzerland has a Parliament, so I assume it has a Prime Minister who is Head of Government. However, I have also heard something about a council, and I don't quite understand that.

Lastly, what does the SVP believe about gay rights? I must admit, I was a bit disturbed by their campaign posters while I lived there (the anti-foreigner line did not resonate with me).

Mr. Urs said...

Switzerland does not have a prime minister. We have 7 ministers (called councillors), who form the federal council. One of them is elected president by the parliament for a year. He or she is a primus inter pares - that is, has no special powers. The president heads the government meetings, and shakes the hands of guests who might visit us. We Swiss like to divide power as much as possible.

The xenophobic SVP and two tiny ultra religious parties were against the Swiss version of gay marriage (called registered partnership). Surprisingly, the party with a strong Catholic tradition supported it. 58% of the voters said YES an June 5, 2005, and so I could tie the knot with my partner :)

Jason Carwin said...

I'm glad to hear that the SVP doesn't dominate politics out there. I know they won a plurality in 2007, which was surprising, but at least it seems like they don't speak for the majority.

Congrats on getting married, btw.

cvn70 said...

Jason

i do hope hewas talking to you and every other little guy out there. You all deserve a better life one free from hiding

I know you are struggling with comng out but dont rush it my friend make sure the time is right for you and then fly free and b the best person you can be

take care and be safe

bob

S. said...

I listened to the whole speech, and I have to disagree with mrgagaa about this particular one, because he talked about what they're actually working on. He's been pretty specific about what he plans to do both in the immediate future and in the long term; he entered a divided highway and I don't see how he could make a U-turn. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be empty rhetoric, but I think it's fair to give him some more time. Of course the same applies to the preemptive Nobel he won: I agree it was premature. Someone said it's as if an Oscar went to a trailer.

My Prime Minister would never give a speech like this one, or open one as the Swiss President did. And that's not even one of his major flaws, but that's a long story. I'd trade Berlusconi for Obama immediately.

«It is a privilege to be here tonight to open for Lady GaGa.» (B. Obama)
LOL

Anonymous said...

For me I see it as I think Obama shouldn't try to push this in along with all the other stuff he is doing.

I know I WOULD like him to focus on LGBT issues but I want his full attention and not just half of it

Aek said...

If for no other reason, the fact that Obama so openly addressed the LGBT community the way he did is unprecedented. I certainly hope his politics isn't empty, and I hope that his words deliver the promise of his words.

Just said...

Yes he did too. But what really inspires me is youth like you, Jason . Pushing down the doors and questioning everything, but not to bull headed that you thing you know everything. Willing to learn from wisdom. Never stop , where I went wrong, just started to accept things. Keep it Up . Thanks

Unknown said...

I too, watched the speech in the entirety. I feel that was one of the better parts. I nearly feel besides the stories, it was a lesson in civics to advocate to lawmakers "our" views, which I think is the right thing to do but having him pressure Congress and lawmakers to repel DOMA and DADT is a great start but that advocacy has yet to be seen. Lets hope things work out! Brandon

J said...

By far the most successful politician I know once told me, "What the public wants is high quality bullshit." Indeed! Obama will sign the Shepard bill, and we will have gays in the military as we always had, only without the don't tell business. Beyond that, don't bet the farm.

Steevo said...

Civics lesson times, boys!

There is only so much Obama can do in our form of government. He can use influence and clout. That's fine. He can bargain and compromise. That's fine to. It is th way th games played.

The Shepherd Act will be a biggy! Many military brass want DODT dumped for purely logistical reasons. If you speak Farsi, they dont care whose c*ck you su*k. LOL

Policies he can change, laws not by himself. But it did take some cajones to JOKE about opening for Lady Gaga. I think it was a strategic remark, like all the others. He's comfortable there at the gathering, saying whats he sed.

WATCH the whole thing. Media left out major parts that WE see as BIG!

I'm still pissed that DOJ supported DADT with such malignant demeaning language. Somebody screwed up there. Big Time. Or it may have been a finla dirty trick by a W jerk. And there is ample evidence for an administration to NOT defend an obsolete wrongheaded law.

ok
laterz dudes

steevo
.
.
.

Aaron said...

of all the things said about Obama, i loved yours the most. :)

i love people who are hopeful and see the best side of things.

well done, Carwin! loved it! :)

Unknown said...

While we do follow a LOT of US politics, we don't get it all. I missed that particular one.
Thanks.
I sent it to a 51-year-old friend who is braving his own decision.