Thursday, August 6, 2009

Stereotypes: Shelter or Shackles? (Day 4)


Can the gay stereotypes serve as a shelter, or do they constrain members of the gay community?

Of course, the answer to this may not be as clear cut as we desire. There will naturally be gray areas, but I will leave most of that to the discussion in the comments. Here, I will write arguments for both sides. I will write as best I can in order to prevent a fair argument for both sides.

Of course, if you feel I misrepresented one of the arguments, please say so in the comments and give a better argument so that I may update my post. I could find no internet resources for this debate, so I had to come up with the arguments myself.

1) The stereotypes serve as a shelter by providing a unique realm that gay men can inhabit.
When a young man (or older one) comes out of the closet, he is suddenly able to act the way he always desired to act. He no longer has to worry about the stereotypes. As a closeted teenager, I can't possibly explain to you how comforting this sounds.

When I come out, I will no longer have to hide any parts of me that matched the gay stereotypes. I will no longer have to worry about someone getting a hold of my iPod and seeing what I listened to. I won't have to worry about saying things that might sound a little gay. I will be able to style my hair however I damn please.

These are just some of the things that I can do without fear of being outed. Some people might think that I won't embrace these aspects of myself because it will mark me as gay. However, when I come out, I won't care about whether or not people know I'm gay.

If people say, “wow, that music is a little gay,” I will be able to respond, “That's because I am.” I know it sounds trifle, but I can't wait for the day when I can do that.

The stereotypes also provide gays with unique attributes that they can embrace if they so choose, as I may choose to do with certain stereotypes when I finally come out. In this regard, the stereotypes can be an almost uplifting part of coming out. Finally being able to embrace them will be a great moment for me.



2) While finally being allowed to fit some stereotypes will be a happy moment, the other stereotypes, which the gay man does not fit nor want to fit, will be attached to him.

Upon coming out, the gay man will be viewed and judged by his peers based on the stereotypes. While some of the stereotypes are positive (e.g: gay men are clean, gay men value education), a great many number are negative and hurtful (e.g: gay men are pedophiles, cannot maintain a long-term relationship, will die of AIDS) and the gay person just out of the closet will be shackled down with these.

I earlier mentioned how I may never come out at my workplace where I work as a swim teacher because I am concerned how people will perceive it. Molestation is a major concern at my workplace, and they even made us watch training videos on how to spot sexual predators and pedophiles. The stereotype that gay men have the hots for 9 year-old boys could be potentially troublesome for my employment, and it could cause major issues with the parents.

In this way, the stereotypes limit someone's ability or desire to come out. They actively keep the closet door shut. They do not uplift, but force people down. The stereotypes will continue to plague the gay man throughout his life. They will always be there and will always make it harder to meet new people, find a job, etc. A recent poll found that 51% of Americans believed homosexuality was an unacceptable lifestyle, and the stereotypes play a major role in purporting this belief.

So, those are the arguments I came up with. They are narrow in scope, seeing as they focus around coming out, but this is a blog from the point of view of a closeted teenager, so what more can you expect? I'm not sure I made the best possible argument for number 1, and I think I may have missed the point, so please leave a comment giving a more persuasive argument.

I do not know what interpretation to put most stock in right now. I feel strongly about both arguments, but I think that if I had to choose, I would go with argument 2. My arguments for both come from the heart, so it was a tough choice to make. Once again, there is considerable gray area and complexity to this issue, so a clear answer is unlikely.

Nevertheless, I want to hear your thoughts on this issue. Do you have any additional arguments for either side (or a mixture of both)? Where do your beliefs fall on this scale?

17 comments:

Teddy Douglas said...

Re your first point, I'm not sure you have to fear being "outed" for enjoying musical theater or dancing or wearing pink or any of the stereotypes. Most people will just assume, especially if you project that image, that you are a man who is secure enough in his sexuality to do what he enjoys and not care that it "looks gay" -- instead of thinking you're gay.

J said...

Life is full of trade-offs and compromises, and every decision is fact specific. Right now it sounds like you made the right decision to keep quiet. If you go away to college in a large and cosmopolitan community you can associate as you please, and thereafter it would be best if you went to an urban area to live, where there is a natural anonymity and people aren't busy minding other people's business.
Discrimination in the work place is a tougher problem to confront. I always thought the best solution is to be your own boss by setting up your own business or obtaining a professional license. People will patronize you if you're good at what you do. (This is a good idea for people who are straight and don't like authority figures breathing down their necks.) There is one caveat here, and that is that the gay who wears his sexuality on his sleeve all the time will limit his business contacts.
Based on your writing and analytical bent you might consider taking the LSAT test in college. But whatever you do, be careful about any situation in which you work for someone else and are at his or her beck and call.

Jason Carwin said...

Thanks for the college advice. What is the LSAT?

I am actually going to write a college post. I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm trying to make sure that my schools are all accepting of homosexuality.

J said...

Law School Admission Test. One thing about law: As a profession it is overbuilt, and gay or straight, legal practice is not the sort of thing you should go into unless you really want to counsel or represent people in court. There are a lot of practicing lawyers out there who are starving right now, and the richest lawyer I know is an investment banker who now runs hedge funds. However, it is a great preparation for anything in the general business, banking, and securities fields.
Even with the turmoil in the health professions, I believe medicine will continue to be a remunerative line of work provided you find the right specialty.
I guess this sounds as though the whole object of the game is to get rich, and that is certainly not a guarantor of happiness. But money can buy you a lot of freedom in life.

Anonymous said...

I thought both arguments were argued adequately. And both makes perfect sense.

And about the college thing, I saw it on the news. George Mason University's Homecoming Queen was, in fact, a MAN! ie a gay drag queen(are there straight drag queens)who thought it would be funny to run for homecoming queen as his alter ego.

Interesting news to me but I don't know how the rest of the school is about homosexuality but if he won queen...

Anonymous said...

That is what I feel like with the 1st stereotype and wrote about it on my blog
I must admit those are good arguments that you made about stereotypes

Jason Carwin said...

Really George Mason, in Northern Viginia, had a man win homecoming queen?

I'm not applying to George Mason, but my grandfather is a really big donor there. I think there is something there named after him. Some building or lab or something. I forget.

jlo said...

AS a closeted bi male in a rural area I understand both sides of the argument. But I don't know which is the or if there is a "right" answer. The only thing that I do know is that looking back when I was your age I wish that I had been able to be myself without the fears that you have expressed. So and it may sound corney, but try to do what feels right to you. love and hugs

Aek said...

The two arguments are like the different sides of a double-edged sword. No matter which side you take, it's going to cut you somehow. But I think, depending on where you live in the US, who your friends and co-workers are, you can blur the line and soften the blow so it doesn't hurt as much, if at all.

Times are changing. Slowly, perhaps, but they are on the whole. It's not *as* bad as it once was. Colleges and universities tend to be very liberal about issues like homosexuality. Of course you'll have opposing viewpoints, but that's what makes things interesting.

Anonymous said...

George Mason made the news rounds because of that.

Your grandpa must be rich

Anonymous said...

Gaydar?

Nobody ever talked about it until the american website was started.


And don't be stupid! Of course you can't tell!

If I passed you in the street, how the oasis would I know you're as gay as a row of pink tents?

I might fancy you and think it would be nice it you were. That's another thing.

Manu said...

Well, certainly stereotypes CAN be both a shelter AND a heavy load. However, I think you worry a little bit too much about getting "oust" by your music or hair. And frankly, there're real "machos" out there who like to listen Village People or have pink shirts.

On the side of prejudices, it's a little bit tougher. But I also believe they're a trouble only on the first impression, since other people who already know you would think about "Carwin" and not about "a gay guy".

I'd simply advice to be yourself, relax about it and get out whenever you feel the other people should know (or need to know).

It's not an obligation or something to be ashamed of, nobody would care of going to his parents and say "hey, I must tell you I'm straight". Why must then be otherwise for gays?

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://lewatigoc.lookseekpages.com/okafymij.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://sofuvubi.freewebsitehosting.com/jydane.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody!

Sure, you’ve heard about me, because my fame is running in front of me,
my name is Nikolas.
Generally I’m a venturesome gambler. for a long time I’m keen on online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to find out how to win not loose.
Please visit my web site. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be interested on your opinion..