It's now time to talk about gaydar. The first time someone came out to me (I was 15), he slipped it into the conversation so casually and subtly that I almost missed it. I made him pause and we talked about it for a bit (mostly who else knows etc etc), but I recall that the nagging question I had was “Do gay people have better gaydar?” Unfortunately, I never asked this question because I thought it would be inappropriate.
However, when I came out to my friend this past June, I encouraged her to ask questions and discuss it with me, and I told her not to worry if the questions were appropriate or not, and I told her about how I wanted to ask my other friend if gay people have better gaydar; Her response was “do they?”
My answer to this question is simply, “I don't know.” I have a few theories about it, but nothing definitive. The first theory is not that gay people have better gaydar, but that we are more aware of the gay population. Straight people don't really think about who is gay and who is straight because they assume everyone is gay. However, gay people are aware that there must be some gays around, and they pay attention to signs to figure out who it is.
I think if a straight person sees someone who exhibits some of the stereotypes of being gay, they might not immediately jump to conclusions, but in fact try to make excuses for that person. On the other hand, I think a gay person might pick up on that and be suspicious.
I think that it's easier to understand people who are more similar to you than people who are very different, which is why straight people might more easily overlook a gay person.
Nevertheless, this still all depends on identifying “the signs” of a gay person, and those signs are almost always related to the stereotypes. The problem is that those stereotypes are not very accurate. We have already seen how gay people do not exhibit most of the stereotypes, so how can we use these as a basis for judgment?
My gaydar is pretty bad, and maybe it's the way I apply it. I don't use the stereotypes so much as compare the people I am observing to myself, and I see if there are any telling similarities. Of course, this is an awful system because there are always bound to be a few similarities, and they are rarely telltale signs.
I really wish I had better gaydar. I think it's a major issue because I need to know who is available and who isn't. I'm not really looking to date right now, but in the future, it will become an issue, and I would like to be able to identify my selection. :)
So, my question to the readers is how can you guys tell if someone else is gay?
10 comments:
im right there with you hahah i have no idea if anyone's gay until they tell me and i dont know of any gay guys at my school, but i know a couple of gay girls :O and where i live theres like a lot of homophobia so if you do the slightest stereotypical gay thing they will call you out on it and make fun of you :/
My gaydor still needs to worked on but I can pick up who is gay and who isn't though like I said it needs more work b/c I still doubt myself at times
I'm not sure how, but my gaydar is pretty accurate. haha. It's like 90% accurate.
"Straight people don't really think about who is gay and who is straight because they assume everyone is gay." Is that a typo? Did you mean to write: "Straight people don't really think about who is gay and who is straight because they assume everyone is straight"?
I have crappy nearly non-existent gaydar. I don't even bother.
man i have the same problem i can only pick out the very obvious gays
then again i have yet to meet a single gay guy who can pick me out,
i have to tell ppl if i want them to know (or get caught lol)
peace :)
Most of it is in the eyes; its how the other guy looks at you.
As J said, it is in the eyes. If you watch who his eyes follow, it is a dead giveaway. Straight guys eyes will lock onto hot girls. Gay guys eyes will lock onto hot guys.
I think gaydar is something that needs to be developed over time. Once a person realizes that he is gay irrespective of the time that person comes out, they would definitely start looking out people who are similar (atleast thats what happened in my case when I was sweet sixteen).
The following is my experience and many of my gay friends.
1. The initial stages start ONLY BY OBSERVATION while grocery shopping, malls, beaches etc etc.
2. Over time you tend confirm if your judgements are right. Don't ask me how, this will happen eventually when you are at a stage looking for a boyfriend.
3. The third stage is when you are ready to have a partner. You need to brush up your social skills for this one. You engage in simple conversations and things go from there.
There is no cookie cutter method to developing a gaydar. As long as you are serious about it, you will have one pretty soon...
Good Luck and I am looking forward to haring a success story from you soon. Regards...
I also like to think that my gaydar is pretty darn good. And what most people already mentioned, its all in the eyes.
You know when someone is staring at you, or looking at you at more than a passing glance. They also know when they're staring back.
How people speak also reveals a lot.
And especially the "turnaround" when there really is no point in looking back once you've past somebody but still they do! I've caught some people doing that to me, haha, and me to them...obviously.
FMS
lol, ya, the turnaround only works if you are looking back as well. :)
Post a Comment