I still have 3 weeks before school starts, but I am already kicking it into high gear.
Today, I wrote outlines for 2 college essays, I met with a friend to work on a website for school together (more on this later), and I also started my reorganization of a club that I help lead.
This club is called E-community. We work on environmental issues at school. Our biggest project is to rehabilitate the canyon that my school owns. This has been an ongoing project for over 20 years, and it will keep going for a long time.
I am very dedicated to the organization, and the teacher who runs it is a great guy, but I think that his organizational structure for the group is not the most efficient. As a result, today I emailed him asking him if I could propose an alternate organizational plan that would increase productivity.
I am basing the reorganization on a program that my dad is designing. So far, his program has increased productivity by a factor of 10, which is enormous. To be honest, I would be happy if we could increase productivity by a factor of 2.
The program is very simple, and it places a lot of emphasis on simple concepts such as finishing what you start and using checklists to prevent mistakes. Unfortunately, my dad says he is having issues implementing it across the company, but that is because the company is huge and very political at times. Almost everyone agrees the program looks great, but some other business heads keep trying change things, but I digress.
Anyways, I'll keep you posted on how my reorganization proposal goes.
Also, in response to some comments yesterday
A Chinese-Japanese marriage was unusual for the time when my grandparents were married. Also, this occurred in Hawaii, which to a certain degree is a melting pot, but in other regards it isn't.
Most Japanese (including my family) were working as day laborers on the plantations and the Chinese were not. In fact, my Chinese side had been in Hawaii for a very very long time (well into Kingdom of Hawaii times) so they were not subject to the day laborer status, but rather landowners and business people.
Of course, the whites owned almost all the land. A smart white man with the last name Bishop married into the royal line of Kamehameha, and since Hawaii was a feudal state with the King owning all the land, he suddenly became the largest landowner in Hawaii (and his estate still is). It is the Bishop Estate, and they are SUPER wealthy.
They provide free schooling at the Kamehameha Schools to anyone who can prove native hawaiian descent. They also pay for all college tuition for those students. Lastly, they provide free housing for those who need it and can prove native Hawaiian descent.
I also heard that they pay their board members a salary of $1 million per year. Just a fun fact.
5 comments:
Can you get college scholarships?
So if you were to apply to Hawaii, would you have "native Hawaiian descent" status? o_O
The reorganization thing you mentioned sounds very common sense but it's surprising how little common sense is utilized (even in the health care settings). I hope it works well for you and your E-community group! :)
I am not native hawaiian, at least I dont believe I am.
I think I heard all u need is SOME native blood.
Maybe they go by looks? LOL
You'd be all set.
Some hospitals have adopted a simple surgery checklist system that allows anyone to point out a deficiency to anyone to decrease morbidity. It is very successful. Simplicity itself. But only works it seems when they get serious buy in and ALL staff members hold each other accountable. Saves tons o money too.
Too many MDs think they r gods and will not tolerate such nonsense.
steevo
.
.
.
I grew up in Hawaii. If I recollect, Kam School used to require 1/16th Hawaiian blood although they would make exceptions on occasion if you were smart enough. A lot of the old Chinese families have Hawaiian blood in them since the pineapple plantations brought in the men as laborers who then married Hawaiian women for the land (yes, not only the Caucasians married for land). Still, it would probably be hard to come up with the 1/16th. A great grandparent would have to be 100%.
Post a Comment