Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Class List

I got my class list for this upcoming school year, so I went to buy the books. The books cost $450, which I found absurd considering I am still in high school. On top of that, I didn't even buy books for my Spanish class or my Economics class. It was just ridiculous.

The books for my English class are as follows:
Waiting for Godot, by Samuel Becket
Hamlet, by Shakespeare
Stranger, by Albert Camus
Very Easy Death, by Simone de Beauvoir
Woman Warriors: Memoir of a Girlhood among Ghosts, by Maxine Kingston
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey.

Are these good books, or will I be bored out of my mind?

I am also taking Art History, which I am super excited for. I took 1 semester of Art History when I was in Europe, and I absolutely loved it. We are using the same book, too! Yay for Adams. Unfortunately, my class only went up to 1701, but I am excited to learn about everything after that date (Rococo, right? Then Impressionism?)

I remember we had to memorize important dates in human history. I don't remember all of them, but I remember a few, such as the death of Alexander the Great (323 B.C.), the first coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor (Christmas Day, 800 A.D.), the birth of St. Patrick (c. 390 A.D.), and the founding of Yale University (1701. lol, I don't think this date can hold a candle up to the death of Alexander the Great).

I'm also taking AP Physics, would should be intersting. I'm taking Calculus AB as well. I hope it's easy. I haven't had to do math homework in 2 years because I could finish it in class, but I doubt I will be able to do the same this year.

Lastly, I am taking Economics, which I am super excited for. I think Economics is a fascinating subject, but I have never taken a formal course in it. I self educate myself to some degree by reading a bunch of different books, but it really isn't the same. And of course, the Wall Street Journal is my favorite newspaper.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats an amazing reading list - I hope you have an insightful teacher to take you through those works in a way you can get the most out of them - Woman Warriors is the only one I have not read - and please resist the temptation to wait until AFTER the book to see the outstanding film version of Cuckoo's Nest

~mikeyboy said...

Noice! Yeah you can finish some of the HW in class for Calc but it depends on your teacher, the chapter, etc. I didn't find any of the concepts that large of a stretch but I can help you if you need it. As for physics... I had a terrible teacher (hands down) and he almost got fired.. Hamlet is an interesting novel! Supposedly his best?

naturgesetz said...

The Literature books should be good. I hope the teacher does them justice, but if necessary don't let the teacher get in the way of your understanding and appreciation.

Is there something between Rococo and Impressionism? I'm thinking of the Hudson River School, for example.

And I'm shocked that you have to *buy* your high school textbooks. When I was your age, the school system provided all required textbooks. The only things we'd have to buy were books that we chose from among a list of options for book reports. It seems to me that when the state says you have to go to school and provides you a school to fulfill the legal requirement, it should provide the books as part of the deal. Or are you attending a non-public school?

JSL said...

Hey, cant you pick up second hand copies on amazon. I sell on amazon in the UK and its amazing how many popular books and texts you can pick up in good condition for only a penny over here...also some people put notes and highlight books that are used for education purposes so you may always find a copy where someone has highlighted and annotated the important bits of text already :-)

Anonymous said...

naturgesetz --- he is not in a public school.

Anonymous said...

I've read Hamlet before, but I don't really remember all that well. The Strager, however, was an INCREDIBLE book. Short and to the point, but so thoughtful and deep. It's one of my favorites, hope u like it. AP Physics and Calculus are no laughing matter but they're not too difficult either. It's probably safe to assume u'll have homework, but nothing unbearable. Economics is also a great subject; if your taking it AP, do your best to pass this class, so you can get it out of the way when it comes to college. Overall, sounds like u'll have your plate full. You'll do great, no worries!!

~Louie

Aek said...

That's a pretty good list of books. I haven't read or even heard of some of them, but at least Hamlet and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are good.

It's ridiculous that your books would cost $450. I remember in high school that our books were provided for us (class copy) or we could just borrow them from the library.

I hope you enjoy your classes!! :D

xLogan said...

I just was browsing blogs and came across this one and love it! I've been reading a lot! Please check out my blog too. I just started!

Anonymous said...

waiting for godot is my favorite play and hamlet is my favorite of shakespear. also one flew over the cukoo's nest is an amazing and powerful book. nice reading list

xLogan said...

Love this post, always thought Economics would be boring though, who knows? I have no idea what college I want to go to, but I want to live in Denver, CO once I graduate from college!

Anonymous said...

I read The Woman Warrior over the summer for my sophomore English class and it's quite... interesting. It's written in a stream-of-consciousness style and I'm sure there are moments where you'll be lost, but it's a great read. There really isn't much of a story... Like it says in the title, it's a memoir.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an interesting story. I personally didn't love it, but it had the similar feel to it as Catcher in the Rye (which is my favorite novel of all time).

idkwhatsthat said...

I'm taking AP Economics this Junior year.