I want to use this post to respond to the points made in the comments on my New Coming Out Issues.
Some of you suggested waiting until college. This was actually my plan for a long time. However, as time goes on, I am getting more and more restless. I am growing tired of the closet. I can't wait for the day when I can be myself around my friends, so I can't wait for college.
Others suggested telling parents first. In fact, this idea got broad support from my readers. This is an interesting point, as it means I don't have to worry if everyone at school finds out, but I just don't think I can. I think telling my best friends will be much less awkward.
Steevo, who writes http://steevo2.blogspot.com/, chatted with me on msn last night and was helping me a lot with coming out. We talked about my family situation and whether or not it is a good situation to come out into. I will share with you all what I told him.
Mom: She may suspect that I am gay. She never says anything derogatory about gays (around me). She voted No on Prop 8, and she knows how I feel about gay rights, and she agrees. She and I are pretty close. We often talk in the late evenings for several hours. We don't really talk about our feelings, though. We talk about how our day was and we often talk about politics. So, we have a pretty good relationship.
Dad: He is often traveling and works a lot, so I don't talk to him that often, but he sometimes joins my mom and I in the kitchen during our late night chats. He also voted No on 8, which is good. I think he is accepting of gays, but I think he may be a bit bothered when he learns he has a gay son.
Twin Brother: We are fraternal twins, for those of you who are wondering. He is my polar opposite. We don't really get along, but we can talk and joke with each other. Fortunately, he is very pro-gay rights.
Little Brother: Age 9. We get along very well, but he is very independent because he is so much younger than I. I am only a bit concerned that people will ridicule him at school when they learn that he has a gay older brother. He is only in 4th grade now, but I could see this being an issue in 6th grade. We go to the same school (it's K-12).
Parents' Friends: My parents have been in the same close-knit friend group for about 10 years now. These friends are very conservative, and I don't think they are accepting of gays. Coming out may cause some strain in the friendship, but I think they will get over it. Unfortunately, my parents are also good friends with the head honcho at my work, so coming out could lead to work finding out. On the good side, I am not planning on going back next year, and there is only one week left.
So, the situation is rather good for coming out at home. However, I am still concerned about the awkwardness of it. It is just a supremely uncomfortable situation. The good news is that I am no longer scared about coming out. Thanks, Steve!
Nevertheless, I still want to come out to my friends. I think they might have some good advice for how to best tell my parents. They will finally understand the awkwardness of coming out and can give me advice on how to relieve the tension.
Also, I have dreams about being able to be myself in front of my friends, not in front of my family. I always planned on coming out to my closest friends by the end of summer, so my deadline is running short. I feel like I should just go out and do it this weekend.
11 comments:
If you're running out of time, there is also an end of Indian summer.But if you feel ready...
I don't know if you want advice from some one as old as I am who has never come out to anyone in real life. But as a father I hope that if one of my kids were in your situation they would have enough faith in me to tell me. I understand it is difficult to say the words for the first time and you might be closer to your friends. But from what you have said your mom probably already knows or at the least suspects.
Any way I hope that i have helped a little LOVE AND HUGS
devil's advocate sez: "You want awkward? Imagine mom and/or dad saying: 'Hey, Jason, Mr. XYZ told me you came out to some friends. WTF? I dont care if u r gay, in fact I have thot u were for a while now. But I am hurt that you did not tell me/us first.'
So it is awkward? So? Bite the bullet, grab yer balls, and just do it."
XDXDXD
steevo in cali
I'm with Steve on this. Telling your friends will only result in your twin hearing about it first and your family wondering why this news was put on the street before they heard it. Sounds like the order of notification isn't the real problem. You really are afraid of telling your folks at all. Well, you've got to do it sometime. I don't think you are going to have any problem with your folks, but if you're that nervous about it you might start one on one with your mother and then enlist her advice about how to tell the rest.
Then, again, it's your call.
Good luck, whatever order you do it. (I still think that parents first is a good idea, but at least tell them before there is any possibility of it reaching them through the grapevine)
BTW, for some reason, I took it into my head that you'd be going to college this fall. Waiting a whole year is a lot different from waiting a week.
Out of respect, tell your parents first. Then tell your brothers. Wait to tell your friends later if you wish, but I feel that you will be ready to tell them after you tell your family. Then you will feel free. I predict that you will be writing about what a wonderful boyfriend you have not long afterward. :)
--DB
Well unlike me, you know your parents will be accepting you being gay
As for your parents friends, don't worry about them. I mean if they can't handle the real you well that's their problem and as long as you have support from home then just go from their
It sounds like telling your family *shouldn't* be a huge deal (though it invariably feels like it will be). Perhaps try telling your mom first, since you seem the closest to her, and work from there.
Whatever you choose, best of luck man. It's not easy (for most people), so just muster the resolve you need.
Tell your Mom first. You'll get such a buzz that going on to tell your friends will be easy. She'll also make it easier to come out to the rest of the family.
I'm in the same situation as you are in the whole coming out process, a few friends know but none of my family. I'm also pretty close to my mom and I have a feeling she might suspect as well but that she just isn't saying anything and letting me take it at my own pace. My advice is to come out to your mom first, she seems to be the best place to start, I would then move on to your twin, you mentioned you guys are polar opposites but he's your brother nevertheless and even though i'm an only child, I can comfortably say that he will respect whatever you do or say. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you will have a smooth coming out process.
Regards,
-Phil
deffo start with your mum as you've got such a good relationship with her. you owe it to her.
i know you're gonna be nervous as hell, but it only takes 3 words: just 6 letters, then you'll be free.
wishing you well and enjoying our tweet exchanges :)
take care and good luck
torchy !
Post a Comment