Monday, August 17, 2009

Abs Workout and 1000 Paper Cranes

At the start of the summer, I went on a backpacking trip for 6 days, and the instructor/guide taught us a 7-minute-abs workout. I think it was from Cindy Crawford, so I call them "Cindy Abs."

I meant to do the workout every day, but I've been lazy and haven't been keeping up. I am now restarting the workout. Here is the workout:
1 minute - crunches
30 seconds - crunches: right elbow to right knee
30 seconds - crunches: left elbow to right knee
30 seconds - crunches: right elbow to left knee
30 seconds - crunches: left elbow to left knee
1 minute - legs turned to right side, do crunches up towards the sky/your core
1 minute - legs turned to left side, do crunches up
1 minute - leg lifts
1 minute - bicycles

It's a pretty good workout, if anyone wants to take it up. I've heard that you aren't supposed to do the same workout everyday for an extended period of time, so I think after 1 month of this I am going to switch to a different workout, probably with planks or something instead of crunches.



Also, I mentioned on my twitter that I have a display of 1000 paper cranes in my house. In a Japanese wedding, the tradition is that the bride's family produces 1000 paper cranes to symbolize 1000 years of happiness and prosperity. So, when my parents got married, all the women on my mom's side rallied together to produce the 1000 cranes.

Normally, the cranes are arranged on a string and it hangs in a place of prominence during the wedding. However, my parents decided not to do that because it gets all tangled and destroyed. Instead, my grandpa arranged the cranes in a symbol. I'm not sure if it is Japanese or Mandarin because my grandpa is Chinese but the tradition of the crane is Japanese.

Anyways, below are two pictures of the display in my house, and I also included two pictures of the normal 1000 crane display. Does anyone know what the symbol says? You can click the pictures for a (much) larger image.




8 comments:

torchy! said...

wooo, this like a post just for me :)

thanks for doing this. i was going to be with you all the way on your abs program, but now i've read it, i might just be with you in spirit. lol

and that crane display is really something special. if it were mine, i doubt that i'd be able to pass it without gazing in wonder at all the intricate details.

the regular displays are ok, but having the symbol was an excellent decision.

thanks again
torchy!

Ty said...

love the cranes man

as for the workout, its better if you find another workout and alternate (cindy abs one day and then a different one the next) just make sure that it addresses another part of your body because your muscle need to rest after being worked on.
that way you can keep doing the cindy abs workout all the time

peace:)

Aek said...

I'm curious about the crunches - so you do them for 1 min (or 30 sec, depending on what step you're in) or do you hold for 1 min? It's mildly annoying because it's difficult to gauge how many reps you've done in a min or 30 sec.

I didn't know you're part Asian. So you're 1/4 Asian (Chinese)? Do you know any Mandarin Chinese?

Anyway, the character up there is (in Chinese): 寿 (shou4). It means "old age, long life, lifespan." I had to look it up because I too didn't know what it was. It probably means the same in Japanese, as the Japanese uses and incorporated Chinese characters into their system a lot.

www.xuezhongwen.net, a great resource if you know how to look things up. :)

Jason Carwin said...

Thanks Aek for the info on the character.

I am half Asian. 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 Chinese. My grandma is Japanese and my grandpa is Chinese. It was considered a strange couple back in the day, but they got through it.

cvn70 said...

Jason

Very nice display and good luck with the work out

take care and be safe

bob

Shane said...

Very nice piece of heritage, I'm jealous. And it's always good to see someone taking care of themselves, good luck with the workout.

naturgesetz said...

I'm glad Aek was able to find the word.

Interesting that the marriage of a Japanese and Chinese was considered unusual. My brother's college professor of Japanese was a Japanese woman married to a Chinese man.

BTW, my nephew, who is half Japanese and half Western, looks more Asian to me than you do in your picture.

Anonymous said...

Jason, now I know why you are such a handsome guy. I am sure you are very proud of your heritage.
--DB