Seeing as we have a list of 83 gay stereotypes (which got me a record 210 visits in 1 day), I think it is time to see how these stereotypes match up with myself and the readers. I will be quoting some of the comments on the first post for use in this analysis. If you are quoted and do not wish to be, please email me or leave a comment and I will take you out of this post.
Mr. HCI said...
So, what fit me?
4) think sports are boring
9) tell their families last
19) value education
32) can't get married
43) cross their legs when sitting
However, he pointed out that he did not fit...
37) listen to showtunes
6) love to dance
35) like v-necks (well he did when he was 6, but hasn't worn one since.)
26) cannot maintain a long term relationship
Lunario said...
I'd say that half of them match me
Keliss said...
4) think sports are boring
9) tell their families last
13) bend at their elbows a lot
19) value education
43) cross their legs when sitting (sometimes)
53) dress neatly and fashionably (but that's only because my job requires it)
61) Don't swear like proper men
62) Don't drink like proper men
Tyler said...
5) i like fashion :)
12) have a limp wrist
13) bend at their elbows a lot (i never knew this was a stereotype, but now that i think about it, i do it a lot lol)
19) value education
41) wear skinny jeans<< my jeans are sorta skinny jeans...
42) walk like a girl, i supress it tho
43) cross their legs when sitting < its comfy! lol
49) say “oh my god” and “like” all the time
52) listen to techno lol
61) Don't swear like proper men
62) Don't drink like proper men
64) Use cologne
So, what fit me?
First off, a number of them fit me because I came up with some of the stereotypes by thinking about myself and what aspects I forced myself to hide as a part of being in the closet. I will list the important stereotypes that I fit.
10) are clean
11) always have a trusty girl pal
13) bend at their elbows a lot (I never found this stereotype in my research, but it's something I do, and I feel distinctly gay when I do it so I figure it must be a stereotype.)
18) are into watersport (I suck at land sports)
19) value education (who doesn't?)
31) hang out with girls more than other guys
38) LOVE Madonna (Britney Spears is decent as well)
39) think Kathy Griffin is hilarious
43) cross their legs when sitting
49) say “oh my god” and “like” (but I'm from California, so there is more tolerance for it)
50) talk really fast
52) listen to techno (but it has to have words!)
53) Don't drink like proper men
Clearly, most gays do not fit more than 20% to 50% of the stereotypes. Statistically, that is a pretty poor correlation. Nevertheless, the stereotypes live on. Once again, I think one of the most important ways to combat this is to have more people come out.
However, I think the stereotypes make it difficult to come out at the same time. To be completely honest, I do not like the movie Bruno, even though I know it had honest intentions. I believe it extended the old stereotypes and even created new ones. All of my straight friends have gone to see it, and I am concerned that when I come out, the first image that will pop into their mind is Bruno and his lover getting down and dirty.
I don't want to come out and be ladled with the negative stereotypes. At the same time, I want to come out in order to express the side of me that does fit the stereotypes. I want to be able to listen and sing along to Madonna or some great techno (or a techno remix of Madonna) without being concerned about what people may think.
The stereotypes create an interesting situation for the gay community. There is no argument that some of them are negative and bad, but can some of them be good? Can the stereotypes even create a sort of shelter for gays?
Tune in tomorrow for a discussion and analysis on these questions.
13 comments:
Are you a frustrated heritage broadcaster?
I haven't tuned a radio in for yonks!
And is a blog a radio?
Just curious.
The stereotype discussion isn't as innocent as you might be making out, you know!
haha. i just couldn't think of a better way to say come back.
As for which "fit" me . . .
9. tel their families last
10. are clean
11. always have a trusty girl pal by their side (not really . . . but eh)
19. value education
31. hang out with girls more than other guys (this tends to be true, though not always for me)
33. don't want kids (psh, I <3 kids)
40. involved with performing arts (does trio, quartet, and orchestra count?)
50. talk really fast (only about health stuff)
61. don't swear like proper men
Hmm, I guess a lot more "fit" me than I thought. Though, the ones with parentheses don't really count, they're only half-true in my case. :P
You know, I assume, that "watersports" has two meanings.
I should've asked before but I didn't . . . what the Hell is "bending at the elbows?"
Ditto to what J said, btw. Are you saying you like swimming, boating, waterskiing, etc., or you want someone to tinkle on ya'?
No, I am saying that I swim and play water polo. Those are my sports. I failed at every other sport on land.
haha. misinterpretation. But the site I got that stereotype was innocent enough.
I have heard the stereotype that water polo and swimming are gay sports. However, having participated in both, I think that the stereotype is VERY inaccurate.
I like Bruno, and yes it did have the worse stereotypes, I thought on the whole it still showcased the homophobia present in many Americans even if he didn't act the way he did.
The truth is, even if he acts that way, people should not see it to be immoral or wrong.
Just for a future post, stereotypes can create shelters for gays.
I'm still wondering what bending at the elbows means.
:-(
Maybe I do it; maybe I don't.
:-S
bending at the elbows is a reference to how someone stands.
Instead of standing with their arms limply hanging at his side, the guy has his elbows bent and hands are up in front of his chest. Often, the hands are holding something (e.g: a book) or fiddling with something (e.g: keys)
It's just a way carrying oneself as someone walks around or stands around
I don't understand the elbows bit at all. Have you ever checked out Obama when he's exiting his helicopter or Air Force One? He keeps his hands up by his chest, and they flop around as he's going down the steps. I really don't think he's a closet case.
^ Well, my friend crosses his legs sometimes when he sits and I don't think he's a closet case either.
Stereotypes don't apply to everybody, and just because you do one thing doesn't mean you are part of that stereotyped (? lol) group.
Well speaking of which..., and I know this is well late, but having just read through this entire blog, I think a little slack can be cut.
There are so few of that list that fit me, and I have been gay for a good portion of my life. I have a license to drive most things wheeled, tracked or otherwise. I was a mechanic. I excelled at sports. When I work I am dirty and swear like a sailor, when I go out, I am clean and always well presented.
I also have a Bachelors degree, in History and Classical Studies.
Maybe I am the exception to the rule? But maybe, this is just what I am capable of doing, not who I truely am on the inside.
Anyways, thanks for reading.
Octavius.
Post a Comment