David Sedaris writes comican short stories about various experiences in his life. He often writes about his family, middle-class upbringing, greek heritage, odd collection of jobs, haphazard education, life in France(with his long-time boyfriend: Hugh Hamrick), and his homosexuality. He also often goes on book tours and reads from his collection of short stories.
His stories are often laugh-out-loud funny, and I enjoy reading them when I find nothing else to read. I find that I can read the same stories over and over again, and I still laught everytime I read them.
His newest book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, is probably my favorite. Every story in there is simply hilarious.
On a personal note, David Sedaris has been a very inspiring figure for me. I started reading through his books at the phase in my life when I was struggling to come to terms with my homosexuality. I think my biggest concern at the time was that I could not be successful as an openly gay man.
I was afraid that my homosexuality would prevent me from doing all the things I dreamed of. I was so afraid, I wouldn't even admit to myself that I was gay. Then comes along David Sedaris. Here was a writer who wrote about his homosexuality without ever hiding it. Indeed, some of his stories dove into the thick of it.
And yet, he was successful. Every book after his first one has been on the New York Times Bestseller List. His stories played a significant role in helping me become comfortable with my sexuality by showing me that homosexuality is not a negative thing that will disrupt my life.
Here is one of my favoriate David Sedaris stories. I found it especially funny because it deals with learning a foreign language, which has been something I always struggled with.
P.S. I think I am going to see David Sedaris give a reading sometime in May. I'll keep you posted. Katie and I are big fans of him, so we will probably go together.
6 comments:
Some friends and I went to see him do a reading a few years ago. It was amazing; I laughed so hard I hurt.
yes he is incredible
have u read his story about going to the sleepover in like 7th grade? and playing strip poker?
LOL x 10 = wet my self... almost
s
Oh ya, I've read that story. I think my favorite if the one when he is talking about his french teacher (I think he refers to it in this story).
This voice is from the "This American Life" podcast. Possibly one of the best podcasts in existence,
You can get it free.
I love listening to this on roadtrips, works so much better than music sometimes.
There's a lot of really good stories, "American Stories"
loves it.
Sedaris is a comic genius, through text and voice. He contributes to "This American Life" and you can go to the link below to listen:
Music Lessons. David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell and Anne Lamott read live, before a cheering audience in San Francisco. Sarah rocked the crowd so hard that afterwards, David announced to anyone who'd listen: "She must be destroyed."
Cruelty of Children. One of David Sedaris's funniest stories, plus a story that's so disturbing – about kids being cruel to an adult for very understandable reasons – that years after it was broadcast, people still ask if it's true.
Link: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/favorites.aspx
Sign up for weekly podcasts and same each. This is one of the American culture's true delights (and I'm not American).
Caution though. To listen, understand and enjoy, you must be bright and open-minded.
PS - Jason, I read through your entire blog today and you have the talent to write. Hone and work it endlessly, you will find success.
I meant to suggest you "sign up for weekly podcasts and save each."
I started paying attention to the world of podcasting a few years ago and there is something for everybody. My tastes are pretty eclectic: arts, science, history, literature, politics, comedy, etc. My 16GB MP3 player is now my teacher, entertainer and companion.
Post a Comment