Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Random Pics

Here are some pics.


This one is the view from my room. Ignore the random smudges.

View from my room again. This time looking another direction.

We are remodeling. This is a hole that the construction people dug. I guess it is a future foundation. The foundations in California need to be well into bedrock because of the earthquakes. I think this hole is about 20 feet deep, or roughly 6 meters.

This is me in one of the trenches that the construction people dug. I dunno what the trenches are for. I guess they are going to be the base of the new walls that are going up. Sorry the pic is super blurry. I took this on a self timer, and it autofocused on the wrong item. Oh well.

It feels a bit like WWI at my house. See, we bought this house because we loved the view. Sadly, the house had been neglected and was in disrepair. So, we have taken to fixing it up. We've been planning this remodel for 5 years now, and we finally broke ground this past June. I guess we will be working for another year. There are more trenches in other places, and they were deeper, but they have been mostly filled in with concrete already.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some really really cool views... wow :D

Anonymous said...

Man I dream of having a view like that someday. Very jealous I must say.


Matt

Anonymous said...

nice view

Pilgrim said...

Jason, you have no idea what you write about regarding WW I. Btw, how tall is you? Looks as if would be buried in a real WW I trench. :-) Propz Pilgrim

Jason Carwin said...

we like to think of most WWI trenches as being about 10 feet deep and well protected etc etc. The unfortunate reality is that most of the trenches were rather shallow and inadequate. Most of the protection came from the mound which was built up face towards No-Man-Land. In the case of my trench, there is a mound, but only because my house is built on a very very steep hillside. Also, a WWI trench would be about 10 times wetter.

Tyler said...

omgsh awsome view !

lol at first i thought u were on vacation, and these were the pics u took! :P

lol

Steevo said...

...another history nerd... lets see:


Jason
Tyler
Peter
Joshua

*teaher smiles happily*

any more?

LOL

s in c

p.s. luv da view

Steevo said...

teaCher... who cant spell or type very well either...

LOL

J said...

Query--Is that the ocean in the distance, or smog? Is there a fire threat in that area?

~mikeyboy said...

Nice view! Reminds me of the Pudget Sound around where I live.

idkwhatsthat said...

Really nice view!

Jason Carwin said...

J, that is what we call haze. The wind blows from the ocean on to the land, so smog is blown inland. Occasionally, the wind shifts directions, bringing what we call Santa Ana winds, and that usually leads to fires. When that happens, a thick brown haze settles over the ocean.

I think this haze is just atmospheric stuff. probably water vapor over the ocean. It produced a cool effect because haze obscured the bottom of the offshore features, but the top was very clear.

andrew said...

ooo you're cute ;D

J said...

Well, it is a terrific view. I'm so paranoid about such things that I would probably have a sprinkler system surrounding the house to wet things down in case of a wildfire. People sometimes forget that California is largely an irrigated desert.
By the way, you are cute, but more important, there's a brain behind the face.

Aek said...

I'm so jealous of your view. SO jealous!! -_-

Pilgrim said...

Jason, the averade WW I trench had only 6´ in hight, was as steep as yours and only protected to light artillery. So many soldiers of all sides died by heavy artillery fire in them. Propz Pilgrim...p.s., I´ll continue my WW I series soon.

MartininBroda said...

I’m not jealous (it’s too hot for me for my taste at your place I guess) but it’s really nice you share this view with your readers.