Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Without Fear of Infamy, I Answer You

Note: I ramble a bit here. I've highlighted the important parts. The second part of the post details why I am discussing this poem in the first place.

The central elements of the Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock are those of indecision, risk taking, and emanation. I define emanation as the way people view you, and it is related to the concept of masks.

The poem is written in a stream of consciousness style, and through it, we see the indecision that grips Prufrock. He cannot decide how to act or react. He repeatedly asks if he dares to act. He ponders speaking to someone, and he worries about what to wear.

He fears speaking to a woman, who may symbolize some aspect of society that he wishes to win approval from. He fears partaking in life's volatile emotions, those of love and happiness, because he knows they are impermanent, and he fears that loss. He cannot risk loss in order to win happiness.

The last lines suggest the risk of drowning. However, I am not sure if Prufrock fears losing himself in decadence and happiness or if he fears drowning in the reality of human nature: The reality of judgment from our peers and an unsatisfying life. Does he fear being drowned from the outside if he opens up that facade that he has carefully constructed?


Prufrock shows how it can be easier to try fitting in. It's easier to worry about that bald spot on your head and your thin arms than it is to open up and share other failings. However, Prufrock is just as insecure about his physical lackings as he is about his mental ones.

This relates to the concept of emanation. His emanation is one of age and weakness, and it contrasts to that of Michelangel (the ideal Renaissance man), of whom the ladies keep speaking, and even Michelangelo's works (representing idealized youth and beauty).

Prufrock also agonizes over how he will be remembered. He compares himself to one of Hamlet's attendant lords, and in doing so, he becomes the minor player that history barely remembers. Hamlet, on the other hand is remembered for greatness in Denmark. Ironically, Hamlet is also an indecisive character who merely gets remembered because of the luck of the draw.

This idea implies that what we are remembered for is more related to luck than what we actually do. Prufrock lives his life, and he is certain he will not be remembered. Hamlet lives his life, and spends most of it worrying about what to do next, but gets remembered as a great hero.


I should also mention the Epigraph, which comes from Dante's Inferno. The dialogue is that of Guido de Montefeltro speaking to Dante. Guido only agrees to speak because he believes Dante will never be able to share his story. Guido does not want his legacy on earth to be re-written after Dante returns:

"If I thought my answer were given
to anyone who would ever return to the world,
this flame would stand still without moving any further.
But since never from this abyss
has anyone ever returned alive, if what I hear is true,
without fear of infamy I answer you"

The epigraph relates to Prufrock in that Prufrock opens up because we will not be able to change his position in society or how he is remembered. Ironically, the readers, who understand him best, are the only ones he feels comfortable with, and yet we will have no impact on his situation.



At this point, you're probably wondering why I chose to write about this poem in this blog. I found that this poem relates greatly to how I felt while I was in the closet. It was easier to worry about my outward failings, such as a limp wrist or a love of Lady Gaga, than it was to confess that I am gay. I could easily address those little problems and ignore my big one.

Furthermore, Prufrock's agony over how people will view him and his concern about how to act reminds me of myself. I am a very uptight person who plans everything, and I see myself in Prufrock. I plan to the point of paralysis.

Opening up, or coming out, meant I could accept myself for who I am and stop comparing myself to Michelangelo. I opened up my masks, and I did not find myself drowned in expectations from others. I certainly received some, such as an expectation to keep up with fashion, but I found that I can keep those expectations at bay as long as I am honest.

Prufrock reminds me that being honest will change how others view you, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Prufrock fears it. Guido de Montefeltro fears it. However, I would rather live as I am and be remembered for who I really am. Living a life worrying about my emanation will not make me happy. It only serves to make others more comfortable.


That's what Prufrock says to me. What does it say to you?

7 comments:

Aek said...

I've never read that poem, but it seems like an interesting read. Too bad I loathe stream-of-consciousness. Damn Faulkner and his "The Sound and the Fury." >.<

J said...

I figured you saw your former self in Eliot's emotionally encapsulated hero. I'm waiting for you to stumble onto another poem that's more relevant to the present.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually is spent
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tom said...

love it that you love proofrock. t.s. has a lot to say about a lot of things

tom said...

the guys 2 comment ahead of me are spam. delete tham

Anonymous said...

後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮