I just recently turned 18, so I have begun a list of things I can do at age 18. I know I forgot a lot of stuff, so please help me by commenting on other things you can do. I know the rules are different in each state and country, but feel free to post anything that changes when you turn 18 in your local region.
Things you can do at age 18:
1) Buy porn
2) Buy tobacco
3) Enter the armed forces (unless you are gay and you blab about it)
4) Act in porn movies
5) Have sex with anyone over the age of 18
6) Buy firearms
7) Vote
8) Get a real drivers license that has NO special restrictions on it
9) Get married (unless it's to someone of your same sex)
10) Work as a stripper
11) Play the lottery
12) Get tatooed, Get a piercing (without parental consent)
13) Buy a house
14) Open a bank account
15) Obtain a credit card
16) Buy and hold assets (stock, debt, etc)
17) Get the death penalty (in certain states/countries)
18) Sign legally binding contracts
19) Gamble
20) Obtain an abortion (some states have special restrictions on minors)
21) Can write your own absence excuses at school
22) Go skydiving / bungee jumping / other extreme sports.
23) All American males must register for the draft
24) Do hard time
25) Possess a will and grant somebody Power of Attorney
26) Enter 18 and over clubs
27) Change your name
28) Run for (certain) public offices
29) Purchase alcohol (in most countries except the USA and parts of Canada)
30) Carry 'personal' amounts of drugs (in some countries, such as Portugal and Mexico)
While this day marks a passage from childhood to adulthood, I do not have to say goodbye to my inner child. In fact, the first thing I did after turning 18 was drive to Disneyland and purchase an annual pass. I'm so excited to use it.
24 comments:
happy birthday :)
I can't wait till I'm 18! I used to look forward to it so much when I smoked, but now I'm pretty much away from the intoxicating things :P.
Happy B-day Jason... How long did it take to figure all this out
You can now receive comments on your blog from other +18yo without them having to fear possible arrest.
Happy birthday!
Turning 18 is one of those seminal events that happens only once during a lifetime. Your high school graduation is another. Other events can be duplicated over and over, even graduation from Yale. Marriage, when possible, children, when possible, job, career, retirement, all of these things are easily reproducible. After attaining majority, graduation from high school (and, thereby, moving from kidville to adulthood) only death is unique within your life.
Never kill your inner child. Please.
Happy Birthday -though somewhat belated but not my fault there, lol- all the best all year round :)
In Mexico city you can get married to same-sex person now at 18, you can buy alcohol and get drunk, as for death penalty we don´t have that, Oh! almost forgot, you may carry around a "personal" amount of almost any recreational drug -some country huh?- but we can´t buy firearms, at least we have that.
SO once again so you don´t forget this time, Happy birthday!!
Love
Me
Thanks, everyone!
@ben I bounced around on the internet for a bit looking at other lists, and I used some of my own brain power to add a few.
Happy Birthday!!
You may purchase a rifle, but you have to be 21 to purchase a hand gun.
You can purchase a rifle but not rent a car…
Once you are 18 you can do these “amazing” things in Germany:
• Be eligible to be elected as Chancellor (interestingly you have to be 40 in order to be eligible to become President, who is by far less powerful and has a rather representative nature). Once you are eighteen you can also become a member of the parliament (state and federal).
• Compulsory military service or social service for nine months (only for boys, girls are spending these nine months being pregnant ;-)
• Buy the hard stuff (liquor etc.) [wine and beer can be purchased from 16 years on]
• You can go into a solarium. Yes, the German legislator cares about the skin of the youth…
• Sex with your siblings gets punishable.
• Smoking in public is now allowed.
• Be a prostitute without the fear that your customers might end up in jail.
• Now you are punishable for paying somebody below 18 in order to get sex in return.
• Get married (however, under certain circumstance you might manage it with 16)
• Get into a civil partnership (same-sex marriage)
• Walk along the Herbertstraße in Hamburg (but only if you are male). N.B. It’s a street in the red light district of Hamburg. At the beginning of the street there are signs stating that entering the street is forbidden for women and minors. However, even though the signs were installed by the police, it is still a public street and therefore de jure everybody can go there. So if you are a real progressive family man, you can take your family for a Sunday afternoon walk there (I guess your kids will love it)…
What of the above things I have done after I turned eighteen? Only one thing: I bought liquor.
hey i just wanted to thank you as you blog was pivotal in my [partial] coming out.... thanks you really changed my life :)
Wow, Hummyb, I feel so special. Congratulations on coming out. You must be so excited. If you ever want to chat, feel free to email me.
I. want. to. go. to. Disneyland.
'Nuff said.
But I'm stuck in Brisneyland instead.
Run for local election (school board, mayor).
So many options! So little time!
Choose wisely!
Happy Birthday!! :-D
Though, I must admit . . . I find it highly highly ironic that at 18 one can enter the military and be in a position to legally kill another person, yet still be unable to (legally) buy alcohol in the US. There's something wrong with that, imo.
Happy Birthday! Mine is next month. This list definitely is a reality check haha
-John
damm :/ i missed your birthday by about an hour! but oh well HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i wish you another year of good fortune and defying the things that hold you back
And if you have sex with anyone under 18 you get put on the sex offenders register - or so I understand.
Congratulations! And Happy Birthday! A couple things:
- I think there should be quotes around the word "Act" in item # 4. lol
- We plan to go to D-land when Captain EO returns. woot!
Happy belated birthday!
Something you can do on your 18th birthday - celebrate on a wierd numbered year. Next up is 20 because then you're no longer a teen, then 21 because most everything else becomes do-able... then 25... then 30, 40, 50... you get my point.
Have a year's worth of fun at Disneyland. I went a couple years ago and loved Soaring over California ride... did it 3 times in one afternoon.
Soaring over California is amazing. I love all the smells and stuff that they send at you. It's fantastic.
Happy birthday!!! (with some delay) :P All the best! And yeah, the 18 is very amazing and important age, in my country we usually have big party organised by person who turns 18...
Post a Comment