Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One Big, Happy Group

I received some criticism on some previous posts over the issue of being “one big, happy group”

I hold that society cannot be one big, happy group made up of many different kinds of people. Some people pointed out that this in fact works in small groups, and they used their friend groups as examples. I completely agree with you. My group of friends is also very diverse, yet we are very close.

However, I do not believe that this can work on a society level. Yes, we can all get along to some extent, but we will never be one huge group where everybody is happy. All one has to do is look at the state of politics in the world, and they will see how we cannot get along. It seems hopelessly idealistic to submit that we can all get along as one big group.

I challenge you to show me the biggest group possible that gets along very well. Frankly, I can't even think of a high school that acts as “one big, happy group,” and high schools often have no more than 1000 students.

Also, it seems wrong to suggest that we can get along perfectly. Group dynamics are complex, but at some level, they usually involve some common ground, especially if the group is very large. The fact of human nature is that we are all very different. Forcing ourselves into a huge group inevitably leads to a compromise of one's personal beliefs and character traits.

While some aspects of the human condition are universal (e.g. love, sadness, envy, etc.), our differences often tear us asunder before our similarities can bring us together.

But I don't think we need to be one big, happy group. Why should we all want to be part of the same group, even if that group “respects and celebrates differences”? I think that it's great to get along with a large number of people, but sometimes you want to have your own smaller group that is more relevant at times. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to work so hard in order to “fit in” with the bigger group. Why can't we just be happy with who we are and be content with where we do fit?

Of course, I am not ridiculing “communities.” They have their spot in society, and they are very valuable. I recognize that we can be a part of a community and smaller groups at the same time. However, I also observe that I “fit in” better when I'm with a smaller, more intimate group. Does anyone feel otherwise?

8 comments:

BB said...

Big groups scare the living daylights out of me, but once the ice is broken I can handle it. I agree though that society will never be one big happy group given our current state. I think something could be introduced into the societal system that changes that, but it would be a game changer like Armageddon, the 2nd coming, or amazing technology or faster than light travel.

BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just said...

you so nailed it. Jason..Feel the same way. You can't get to know people personally in a large group, true some but not all ... creating small groups again lol ...Jason agree right now hanging and working threw being gay. Right now your going to kinda of group with people that can relate to that... nothing wrong with this as long as you keep a open mind, for other groups around you ... I so feel that way ... BB you nailed it too on comment... Lee

Aek said...

Interesting post.

However, it almost seems like you're assuming that people have one primary identity, rather than many equal concurrent identities.

We don't exactly live (interact) in a huge group, as we only actually interact with a subset of a group each day. So while I agree that we don't need to "fit in" to a large whole, our individual interactions with the people around us can still be respectful and cordial.

Because all groups are heterogeneous, it all boils down to the one-on-one interactions. I think you'd be interested to take a cultural anthropology in undergrad, don't skip out on that chance. Great way to think and express thoughts on human interactions - their differences and their similarities.

~mikeyboy said...

I don't think we, as Americans, need to come together as a society in the sense of agreeing on every subject, or even enjoying the presence of every fellow American. Although, one must live according to the constitution and subsequent laws. In the end, the purpose of the laws and constitution (at a core level.. I know politics is a complex and dynamic system) is to balance safety with personal liberty. That is the price one must pay to enjoy the benefits of society.

Jason Carwin said...

BB, I liked your comment. I also liked the bit about speed-of-light travel. That would be AWESOME.

Aek, you bring up an interesting point. Specifically, that people have many identities that they can switch between depending on the situation. This suggests that we have many different faces, or, dare I say, masks? I don't know how you feel, but I don't really like the nature of having a mask up at all times. Masks impair others' visions of you as well as your vision of the outside world, would you not agree?

Bi Like Me said...

One group that gets along no matter what? How about the Roman Catholic Church? No matter what the controversy, the horrid circumstances or actions of any of its members, it stands behind them.

Tyler said...

my little group of friends doesnt really even get along :P