1) I haven't bought new clothes in about 2 years
2) I'm out now, so I can wear whatever I want. I simply don't care if they match or contradict stereotypes.
3) Whenever I bought something blue, I justified it by saying “Well, it's in Yale colors, so I have to get it.”
Also, I probably won't get much for Christmas, so my mom basically said I can just go shop for myself.
While walking around, I spotted this gay couple holding hands and laughing. They were so cute, and it warmed my heart to actually see two gay men in love. I know this happens all the time, but I rarely see any sort of public display, even minor ones such as holding hands.

Happy Holidays, everyone, and I hope you can spend some time with a loved one during this Holiday Season.
9 comments:
Up here in Washington one rarely sees that sort of thing, unless it is found in locations where the gay community has settled in and there is an expectation to see such expressions of fidelity. Even in other areas, outside of the gay sphere, when such heartfelt expressions are demonstrated, if the activity is maintained without embarrassment or concern about how others might perceive it, people get used to it quite rapidly and then go about their business while thinking their own private thoughts on what they are seeing.
It is still a bit shocking up here in Western Washington. For myself, I love to see it around, at least the holding hands part, and feel a great admiration for their friendship and bonding .
Western Washington is the liberal section of the state, though. On the other side of the Cascades, our main mountain range up here, is the solidly red farmerville. There, the response outside of the main towns, would be a bit more negatively expressed, sometimes to the people themselves. One must be careful over there.
Expressions more involved then just hand-holding would still be frowned upon anywhere in the state, but this would hold true no matter what the orientation was of the expressers. Petting, or even more intense activity, in a public place would probably be challenged by the words "get a room", especially if spoken by a group.
California is more accepting, I suppose, about this stuff, I guess. Even with the Mormon Millions, Prop 8 still won with less than a 4 point separation between no and yes.
I know how you feel Jason
Sadly though I have never seen a gay couple kiss out in public (or Lesbian for that matter)
i am very much agreed with steve. those kinds of affectionate displays are hard to come by. people are afraid to be themselves on one hand and on the other, as individualistic as we claim to be in the US, we severely punish people that are different.
I love seeing people love each other no matter who is involved.
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Personally, I am sorta against lots of PDA (for all couples, straight or gay). However, I make exceptions for holding hands and minor cuddling. Full on making out should be reserved for more intimate settings, but I am ok with them if they are located on park benches in France.
LOL at the exception for park benches in France. Oh the French!
Merry Christmas, Jason!
Merry Christmas!!!
one of my many life goals is to make out with a hot french guy on a bench in paris!
it is heart-warming to me too. havn't seen such public display of affection but well when two cute guys are acting closer than normal it is pretty obvious :) though it makes me feel kinda jealous but well, it's nice to know that perhaps one day i can be like them. merry christmas!
I agree about PDA, because its more a matter of public propriety than sexual preference. But its strange how the act of holding hands is so culturally driven. I found it a common sight among young males in Russia, where there is no sexual implication involved. And George Bush took some heat for taking the hand of the Saudi king, a gesture that is viewed as a simple act of kindness or affection in muslim countries.
Now, as you say, we adopt the grace of the Attic or Minoan civilizations, wouldn't that be interesting?
Post a Comment