I want to respond to some comments on my last post.
1) Regarding Apologies: I did not intend for my last post to be apologetic. I meant for it to be a post that recognizes that we have all been given different things. In fact, I think it is silly to apologize for having opportunities or being fortunate. First of all, such an apology accomplishes nothing, and second, it makes no sense. Why should someone apologize for being lucky?
2) A commenter wrote, “Again, this isn't meant to beg an apology, but rather just to make you, and anyone else aware of this privilege so that they may try to check it”:
I disagree with this statement. To be specific, I agree with the idea that we should be aware of the privileges we have, but I do not think we need to “try to check it.” Does that mean we should try and give up what we have been given? I certainly hope not. I advocate a different approach.
I think we should try and do as much as possible with what has been given to us. If we accomplish great things, then we are helping society. Of course, it depends on how we define “great things,” and I think it is a self-determined thing.
We should be aware of our privileges so as to understand how our life might be different from that of another. I would never want to be insensitive to the plight of someone who is not as fortunate as I, and I must be aware of my situation so as to see the difference. Perhaps the commenter meant that we should be aware of our differences and be considerate when he wrote “try to check it.”
3) Regarding the “real world.”: I only used this term because I could not think of a better one. Personally, I do not believe there is such thing as “the real world” or “real America.” Everybody lives different lives, so how can we identify the “real” one?
As I wrote earlier, I think the most important thing is to be aware that we are different and to try to understand, and in some cases, experience, other lifestyles. I did not travel in order to give up my lifestyle or reject it. I did so in order to see what other lifestyles look like. Experience leads to the greatest plane of understanding, which motivates my desire to travel.
As Steve pointed out, understanding that we are different would alleviate much of the bigotry that permeates this world. Fear of differences leads to prejudice and discrimination, and I think that understanding differences and embracing them would solve this problem.
6 comments:
I just want to point out that I didn't not think your previous post was apologetic
Too me it came off as defending yourself against what some people have said.
And I too would have done the same thing
Great post!
I'm with u 100%!
Stay strong and do some good in this world while u are at it. U are more then capable as I see it!
Joshua
xXx
You have to figure out what way to best check your privilege. I don't mean for you to give what you have completely, but try to figure out how to best "check" it, mostly it's about not making assumptions or not being aware of privilege.
I would be curious to hear your response to the list I posted in my last comment.
Not meaning to be confrontational, just looking for meaningful conversation.
i totally agree with you. "get the best out of what you have" i kinda live by that :)
Wealth or lack thereof, has no bearing on what you can achieve. I think you said it correctly when you talked about hard work, taking opportunities and understanding. If society adopted these three principles, the world would be a much better place!
Congratulations on getting accepted to Yale,
Actually, "Jason", I would rather have you exactly as you are today, filled with class, a high achiever, socially strong, self-confident with almost everything except spiders and coming out, with grand opportunities that have expanded your soul widely and deeply, holding all of it together with hard work, honorable work, which can never be diminished because it is your own sweat that has made it both meaningful and your own. The responsibilities that you bear up under are greater than most; certainly much greater than mine own. I feel compassion for you in this because my quantity of personal freedom and your own is much separated. I have much more than you, but your achievement list is miles longer than this writer's ever could be. Good for you, "Jason".
There is a quick test to see if you have been consumed by a condition or a situation that surrounds you. It is this: could you walk away from it without regret or hesitation? For love of another? For some cause which offered justice or mercy for those who came from someplace else than did you? For the study of some subject that fascinated you but which promised a life of poverty and silence away from where you grew up? If not, then you are imprisoned by it. If you could, and chose to stay anyway, than it is by choice always and therein lies the greatness of your stance. Otherwise, you are just a drone.
I like you very much just the way you are; I admire you a great deal! I hope, however, that you will one face the question of if there is anything that could compel you to leave what you've enjoyed your whole life? How much soul-searching would that answer require to be defined and accepted within your heart?
Well, I will shut up now.
Post a Comment