Sorry for my extended absence. I've been busy (not related to coming out). Alright, let's go back in time:
I got home from school on Friday at around 4:00. I had just concluded a 2 hours lunch with some friends, and Brad (he's openly gay) was there. It was nice to chat with him about this, but I didn't get to talk to him much. Earlier in the day, my mother texted me saying that she knew I had come out and asking me about it. I replied that we would talk later.
I got home and started talking with my mom. I told her about the essay and about everyone's strong support. While I speaking, she began to cry. I don't think they were tears of sadness or of joy; I think they were tears of emotion. She was terrified about how people would treat me after coming out. She choked out, “Your world is so different from my world. You're so lucky.”
At this point, my father entered, and I had to repeat the entire story. He said he was proud of me.
We then proceeded to talk about stuff, including my career (is this all they think about?). My dad wants me to do something where I will be my own boss. He said that there is significant discrimination in corporations, and he wants me away from that.
We also made plans to tell my 9 year-old brother. My parents will tell him on Sunday and I will chat with him about it in a one-on-one situation.
Near the end of the conversation, my dad started talking about some books he had read. Apparently, after I came out, he picked up lots of books about homosexuality and coming out. I had mixed emotions about this. I'm glad that he sought to educate himself on the matter, but I'm disappointed that his acceptance had to come from a book and not himself.
Later that night, my mom told me that she told had told her work group about this. She said they were supportive, and some of the emailed stories about their gay family members (two of them have gay brothers).
My mom told me a story about one of these gay brothers and his partner. She ended the story with “and that showed me that gay people can lead normal lives.” I was a little distraught about this, but I guess it makes sense. It never crossed my mind that coming out would lead to depression and loneliness, but my mom and dad grew up in an era when that was the stereotype. Gay people died of AIDS at a young age and with nobody at their bedside. They lived sad, abnormal lives.
My mom and I also talked about how my extended family would react. We concluded the following:
On my Mother's Side
Grandma: Unhappy at first, but hopefully will accept it
Grandpa: Unhappy at first, but hopefully will accept it
Uncles/Aunts: Upset. They are religious
On My Father's Side
Grandfather: we're not sure... He's paying for my college, so I hope he's OK.
Grandmother (White side): Probably upset. Voted Yes on 8. VERY religious.
Grandfather's Second Wife (White Side): probably upset. Very religious. Is from the South.
Uncles/Aunts: Probably uncomfortable, but shouldn't be too bad.
Before leaving, my mom mentioned how my dad felt about me coming out. He knows that his friends will find out, because his friends all have kids that are my age, and this upsets him. His friends are very conservative/religious, and I he's worried that he'll lose his friends. This really hurts me because it's not fair to him. My coming out should not affect his life so deeply, but alas, that's the world we live in.
18 comments:
hey! you're so lucky!
I think your dad needs time..
btw i started a blog :D feel free to comment :D
congratulations on that...
I think that it's looking preety good. Consider yourself lucky...
Sounds like your parents are making progress. The books are all part of their process. At least they're not ignoring it and hoping it goes away. It's a sign of acceptance.
It's great that your dad verbalized his pride in you.
If your dad's friends are true friends, then they'll remain his friends regardless of your orientation.
I think that went pretty well. Your folks had a big surprise and they need to get used to it. And you're right that they grew up in a different era, and they come to this with the ideas they grew up with. Your mom telling her work group and your dad getting books are both ways of trying to figure out what this means. Of course it's your life, but it does affect them too, so it's to be expected that they'll be concerned about possible impacts among family and friends. But it still seems that their main concern is for you.
Lots for everyone to learn. Glad your dad picked up some books. Understanding doesn't always come from sheer force of will or by osmosis.
Career: I don't think that there is as much discrimination as your dad suggests. Having said that, there IS a sense that a person's sexuality isn't a topic for discussion at work. The people at my work who know, know me well outside of work. But otherwise, it simply does not come up, and doesn't need to (why would being gay have any influence in how I do my job?), and I don't act like a queen.
Be CAREFUL about coming out. Please don't allow your parents to force you to come out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry relative. It doesn't need to happen. It sometimes seems like they are treating you as if you have cancer, and they have to tell the entire extended family. They don't. They don't have to tell your grandfather who is paying for your college, for example. It just isn't necessary, and can create a lot of pain.
Take it slow. Maybe you're ready for this, but to ME (just my opinion), it sounds very rushed.
Be aware that those you think will react badly CAN and VERY WELL MAY, threaten you and your livelihood (for your own good of course, or at least for God), and your family doesn't have any obligation to discuss your sexuality with everyone, even if they DO hear rumors.
One more thing ... maybe I'm way off-base, but I don't think your parents should tell your 9-year old brother. I mean, he's NINE! Would he actually understand, or just get scared or confused? I would wait until at LEAST 11. But, maybe he's mature enough, I wouldn't know.
"His friends are very conservative/religious, and I he's worried that he'll lose his friends."
The ones that go were not real friends.
You probably need to cut your dad a little slack, at least he is trying. People take different roads sometimes to get to the same location and if you want his total acceptance you probably need to let him get there in is own way.
Someone once told me this and I think it applies to your case: You will never see things the way your parents do because you don't have their prejudices and they will never see life the way you do because they don't have your opportunities.
Hope things go smoothly with the extended family.
Jason
I think your parents are grewat really. I know exctly hw yuor arents feel about the difference between the genrations
You parents seem kind and loving, they are cocerned for you and trying to make your life even better, I wish all parents would read your blog
Your parens are intelligent people who are using thir education on your behalf and its rare unfortunately. I agree with your dad btw in regardsto how corporate people may still see us so i would heed his advice
I hope your little bro takes teh news well and deals with as well as the rest of your family. thanks for sharing all of this
take care and be safe
bob
You can let you parents know that most companies nowadays have non-discrimination policies that include LGBT. And a ton of larger companies (like the one I work for) have Employee Resource Groups setup that are funded by the companies themselves for LGBT employees.
Resources:
http://www.hrc.org/about_us/13523.htm
Do a Google search for "Employee Resource Groups" and see how many companies come up.
trust me! yer dad is amazing! An engineers mind: do research to understand. He wants to understand YOU not just yer gayness. I worked with many dads when I was active in PFLAG, and am now on a list that local leaders use if they need to. I guess they consider me a specialist! LOL
Can you post the titles he got?
Get th rents to PFLAG.
You can just tell him that you regret that some of his friends may "drop" him, but you had to do what was right and honest for you.
Lil bro will get it easily. 10 is not too young! Better he know than hear it from someone who knows you via school/older brother.
hugs!
s *prep period over*
.
.
.
So I think everyone has said almost all that I have and the only thing I want to say is good luck with the whole family situation (sounds almost like mine)
happy things are going well for you, but this and another post make me sad about your attitude to your Dad.
you should cut him some slack - you know a zillion times more about homosexuality than he does - he's probably never had to deal with it other than what he sees in mainstream media. it speaks massive volumes that he is prepared to get books and read about it. as a totally straight guy he was probably scared shitless buying/borrowing those books. he is really trying for you.
having said that, i agree with the others - you might want to tactfully point out to your parents that your sexual orientation is actually your business, not anyone elses. does everyone *need* to know?
torchy
Like some people seem to have already said, I think you should be patting your parents on the back rather than being annoyed/distraught by their perspectives. It's more than many could hope for, much less ask for.
But it's good that you can understand their perspective. The world they grew up in was indeed far different from our own, and it's good to keep that in mind.
I hope the "fallout" of your coming out continues to proceed as smoothly and as supportive as it has been. :-)
You have so amazing parents... Mine wouldn't be so supportive, but I understand them, they grew up in homophobic, sterotype society so the 'gay' equals 'not normal' :(
Jason I am thrilled you Dad is reading , your looking at this wrong. He is trying to relate to you and see what he can do for you ... and that is the fact of life sometimes other people suffer for you too ... He is your Dad I hope he doesn't lose any friends over your sexuality .. that just isn't right.... but you are his son ... hang in there ... I am glad you have your family ... and they are trying so much ... and your being thier son ... I would worry to it what we parents do best .... Keep you head up .... and hang in there ... it will get better .. you have such a great resource man >... Just
OMG I want your family. I agree with the other comments in that its a good sign that your dad is trying so hard. Obviously, things will be different in a future world...but for 2009 this seems quite awesome.
Good work as always-- you are in such a good place right now. I hope it feels like you have accomplished alot, because you have :-)
Much Love,
steve
Jason!
I think it's unrealistic to expect everyone in the family to support you being gay.
Older relatives are assuredly "old school" in terms of their thinking.
Just having your mom and dad's support, along with your friends WILL do wonders for you right now.
Everyone else will fall in line....in time.
Wishing you all the very best!
-Dean
Post a Comment