Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Famous Hottie

I want to write about the great man that is Anderson Cooper.

Andy is one of CNN's best known anchormen, and he is particularly known for his coverage of Hurricane Katrina. He is intelligent, thoughtful, and honest. I also respect him because he comes from a powerful Eastern family, the Vanderbilts, but he has by and large forged his own path to success.

I also respect him because he is (probably) gay. While Andy has never admitted to this—he refuses to talk about his personal life—there is ample evidence that he is a homosexual. OUT Magazine ranked him as the second most influential gay man of our generation.

While he does not speak out on homosexual issues, I think his very existence is a triumph. Here we have a homosexual from a conservative eastern family who has become a household name. Being gay has not stopped his career, and I draw inspiration from that.

Some would argue that he isn't important because he is still partially closeted and he doesn't speak out in favor of gay rights, but I disagree. You do not need to wear your homosexuality on your sleeve in order to be influential. He never denies being gay, he just refuses to discuss it. I find this acceptable and respectable.

Oh, did I mention he's also a cutie?





And no one say anything about him being 42!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disagree. You are ceratinly right that he doesn't need to wear his homosexuality on his sleeve, but I find it pathetic that he isn't able to be out, this attitude suggests that being gay is something to be ashamed of. People like this are holding us back.

Aek said...

He certainly does look amazing for a 42-year-old. And the white hair is an interesting contrast to the rest of him.

Justin said...

Anderson Cooper IS out and is certainly neither ashamed nor pathetic. In 2007, Cooper was listed 2nd on OUT magazines list of the "Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America." Simply because he chooses to keep his personal and professional lives separate does not mean he is closeted. In one episode, he even made a rare reference to his personal life, to his sexuality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm6s5oLFyf4
Anderson has stated the following with regards to his personal life: "I just don’t talk about my personal life. It’s a decision I made a long time ago, before I ever even knew anyone would be interested in my personal life. The whole thing about being a reporter is that you're supposed to be an observer and to be able to adapt with any group you’re in, and I don’t want to do anything that threatens that." This makes particularly good sense when one considers that Anderson grew up watching his mother's life in the spotlight of tabloid journalists and her publication of memoirs explicitly detailing her affairs with celebrities; Cooper vowed "not to repeat that strategy." Cooper has also covered the struggles and inequality of gay people numerous times on his program, and in 2001 won a GLAAD award for his coverage of the gay high school football player Corey Johnson in a 20/20 special report titled "High School Hero." Being a neutral journalist is not synonymous with shame, and the only thing that is pathetic is the anonymous comment above that judges people through a very thick lens of ignorance. Far from holding you back, Anderson Cooper and people like him are showing that sexuality is not a defining aspect of a person, but merely one facet of the many features that make each of us an individual

Anonymous said...

(Didn't know Cooper was 42 would have said about 37. )

I agree with Justin with the point he tried to make but not how he said it.

Cooper doesn't need to announce to the world that he his gay.

Personally I'm that of person; I don't feel that people need to know I'm gay it's none of their business and though it would be nice if he just said yes he doesn't have to really.

Another thing is I don't think he wants to be a gay rights activist. He want to be a news reporter but not THE news.

Anonymous said...

His ambiguous sexuality doesn't make him as inspirational personality (in gay and especially mainstream culture) as someone like Ellen Degeneres, Barney Frank, Dan Choi, and others.

These successful people from networks, politics, and the military are completely out about their sexuality. This is what makes them such icons in the gay community. Not only because they speak about gay issues, but because they are KNOWN to be gay and be perfectly "normal."

Rachael Maddow covers gay issues in her show but does she wear homosexuality on her sleeve? No, but I knew.

Ellen Degeneres made a splash and advanced homosexual rights by so much because it openly contested the stereotype of "Butch female lesbians." Ellen showed that lesbians are normal females, and not the big, boned hairy dykes ignorant people thought they were. Not so much for Lance Bass

And Barney Frank (disregard his politics) makes an open joke about his homosexual partners in mainstream. He broke years of stereotype that openly gay men can't hold high political office.

I, personally, prefer people like Lt. Dan Choi who sacrificed his career to stand up for what is wrong.

Whereas in Anderson's case, the questioning or whether he covers gay issues from time to time, his sexuality is still a "guarded identity" as if he is obligated to protect it because it's not "normal." And from the looks of things, he does "hide" it by subtly dropping hints to preserve his career.

The MAINSTREAM population need to know for sure he is gay(the mainstream doesn't read OUT): the fact that the anon and I don't know, and I assume we are both gay (I am), only goes to show that his orientation is up in the air. If that is true for gay men, then it also certainly true that the mainstream don't know it.

Why does he need to say it to the mainstream?

The reason for this: because we still live a world (the mainstream) where people get killed for being gay. We still can't even marry and it was only two months ago when we were finally protected against Hate crimes.

We, as a population, gay or not, still need to know who is gay and who is not. If I am a closeted gay in the South, as I used to be and as there are, and if I'm crying at night because I can't accept my sexuality; my inspiration would be the people who are completely out and successful, to everybody and not just the gay commmunity. I need someone to look up to who is "proud" of their orientation. I don't mean proud like wearing rainbow neckties on his show; discussing as "The Real Housewives of Orange County" as he has; or wear it on their sleeves like so many others; but only a simple declaration of his orientation.

But what he is doing, referencing "gay" topics, are unhelpful hints. I dropped hints too but it did nothing to advance the cause that to be gay is to be “normal”, and to be “normal” to my friends and family is what will break the distortion and the fear.

As Harvey Milk said,

"come out only to the people you know, and who know you. Not to anyone else. But once and for all, break down the myths, destroy the lies and distortions. For your sake. For their sake. For the sake of the youngsters who are becoming scared..."

To destroy the lies that still permeates miles of this nation and the world, from H8 in California to New York, from Iran to Puerto Rico, he has to say on his show, on Time Magazine, on his blog even:

"I am gay. What about it?"

Only then can he spread the message to the MAINSTREAM world ergo everybody, gay or straight, who don't read OUT or gay blogs, that a gay man can be successful, can talk about all issues, without having to dress in drag or be utterly fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason - you've got a good bit of dialogue going on here.

First of all - 42 is not old. I'm right on Anderson's heals. 42 is the new 25.

I agree that it would be great if Anderson made a statement and came out. But the reality is his story would be as big as Tiger Woods running a Cadillac into a tree. We'd have weeks on nonstop cable new coverage. He would be on every tabloid cover. There would be stories of potential reality shows starting Anderson and Jon Gosselin. At least for a few weeks. Which is at least one of the reasons that AC hasn't said anything - he would become the news.

I think we need to recognize that there are all kinds of gay people in the world, and not all of them care to let their sexual preference be known. Maybe he's not at a point in his life where he's comfortable being out. Maybe he likes being mysterious. Who knows. Point is - it's his decision. If he was straight, would we expect him to make a public statement declaring his heterosexuality? And if not - then why does he need to talk about his private life publicly at all?

For myself, being halfway out of the closet, I can understand why he would be reluctant to come out publicly.

Yes - the community could use more positive role models. And maybe one day Anderson will be in that league. But until then - his sexuality is between him and his partner(s).

R. Burnett Baker said...

Does "Anonymous" hear himself?

While he thinks it's "pathetic" that Coop isn't "able" to be out, I think it's pathetic that Anonymous is anonymous. What's HE hiding or afraid of??

To Anonymous I say put up or shut up.

Anderson Cooper, if gay, is not obligated in any way, shape, fashion or form to be out to the world or discuss publicly what he does in bed or with whom he does it. Period! It's not that he's not
ABLE to come out: He probably chooses not to through it in anyone's face.

Rabid gay activist types seem to believe that to be a role model, or icon one has to be out and yak about it to the world.

I would suggest that one (Ex: Cooper) can be an icon or role model by NOT talking about it. That he can be professional and true to his craft without talking about his sexuality will earn him, and perhaps the gay "community" (if such a thing exists) more respect that blathering about how he is "here and queer and get freakin use to it!!"

Ok. Don't get me freakin' started! But the man is ALREADY an icon, if you will. LET THAT STAND ON ITS OWN MERIT.

And finally: Yeah he's handsome for his age. But dammit so am I for my age! If he can look as good in a few more years as I do, he will truly be an icon!! :P

There. I feel better already!

Rick

fabmoolah said...

This is anonymous. Sorry that some found it "pathetic" that I chose to remain anonymous, I just cba to type in all my account b/s, so inundated with desire was I in racing to get my comment on 'paper'.

I was in no way suggesting Anderson Cooper discuss his private affairs of the heart with the World, that's nobody's business, however I feel strongly that he should openly admit to being gay. He doesn't need to elaborate further on it after that, because I completely agree that he should just continue on as he is and live a 'normal' existence, his homosexuality just one facet of his personality.

The thing that is deplorable in him choosing not to be out is that this has probably led him to deny his sexuality on occassion, as if to be ashamed of it. This attitude permeates the notion that gay is wrong and we are still unfortunately, fighting against this.

fabmoolah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wrong he shouldn't have to come out at all

I mean he is a news guy for one and not too many teens care for the news so I doubt they would care even if he was gay.

Plus in today's society he would be just seen as another gay guy and people would have 1 more person to hate.

Gay or straight it doesn't matter so as long as he counties to provide the same level of journalism as he has done in the past

J said...

Justin's comments are spot on. Cooper is first and foremost a professional journalist. He doesn't deny or confirm his sexual preferences, because he considers them irrelevant to his life's work. Is there any reason for us to insist that he be a professional homosexual, or, horrid as it sounds, a "homosexual journalist". By ignoring the subject he trivializes everyone who would try to discredit his professional accompishments by labeling him with the trashy perjorative terms of the public arena. He is well brought up in the best sense of the word, because he has risen above it. In the process, he makes it impossible for the homophobes to degrade him. He is my kind of homosexual.

Anonymous said...

He may be a journalistic icon, but he is not a gay icon.

Because the fact of the matter is, gays still die secret deaths because they're afraid of being known as gay.

For him to be a gay icon means risking the weeks of media bullshit, "homosexual" labels that will be given him and triumphing through it. That's what it takes until the closet ceases to exists for everyone.

For now, he is just another anchorman.

Steevo said...

ADMIT he's gay? Listen to our language. I dont "admit" i am left handed or color blind or deaf in one ear.

At the end of her show tonight MSNBCRachel Maddow was responding to the mention of The Weather Channel in a kinda negative light. Off the cuff she said, "Hey, Trent, my girl friend is here tonight and she is like obsessed with The Weather Channel." Then to her gf off camera she sez, "Dont worry sweetie he wasn't dissing the Weather Channel" in a kinda eye rolling tone of voice."

Perfect! And matched the show's uber serious/be silly style.

D. said...

anderson cooper is a silver FOXXX mmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmm

Jefferson said...

AC is a hottie. And I think his choice to keep his personal life separate from his job is perfectly fine. He wants to be known for being a reporter. Not 'that gay reporter'.

It's fun watching AC with Kathy Griffin or Ellen. He's got such a great laugh!

naturgesetz said...

There are various messages that can be given. A well-known person who comes out gives the message that there are gay people around and they can do whatever it is he does. A person who is thought to be gay but chooses not to come out publicly gives the message that people's orientation is nobody else's business; and to those who believe he's gay he also gives the message that your orientation won't hold you back if you're good at what you do.

They are all worthwhile messages, but the same person can't really give them all.

Seth said...

He's hawt, but somehow he always reminds me of an alien from like, "V" or Childen Of The Corn or something, there's really a reptile under there.

:)

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper: the only reason i watch news.(if im gonna be told bad depressing news of how fucked up the world is, it might as well be by a gorgeous man. XD)