Last night, I came out to my school.
As you know, my English teacher assigned a Social Norm Project in which we have to break a social norm and then write about it. I am wrote about coming out to my family and friends.
My teacher has created an online forum for us to turn in the essays, so they will be readable by any student in my class. Not everyone reads these essays, but I have a feeling that people will at least skim mine after they hear what has happened.
I posted my essay last night in a message titled “Jason – My Poker Face” and then attached the essay and added the message, “Beware. It's long.” I was very nervous when posting, but my best friend was instant messaging with me, and she really helped me get through that. I'm so happy she was there for me.
When I first wrote my essay, it was 10 pages long. I've since cut it down to 6 pages, but I'm a bit concerned that my teacher won't be very happy. Unfortunately, there is simply nothing more that I can cut. This is sorta a big essay because it's my way of coming out to my peers, and I can't remove anymore.
I'm not particularly pleased with how this essay turned out. It's not my finest writing, and I had trouble perfecting it. I think the limit on length is causing the problem. I simply cannot write a short essay on coming out. It requires too many words. There are too many emotions that need describing. I've written an entire blog about coming out, so how can I condense it all into a short essay?
Some people requested that I post the essay here, but I have decided not to do that. If my teacher Googles any of my phrases to check for plagiarism, he will discover this blog, and I don't want that happening.
However, if you would like to read my essay, you can email me, and I will send you a copy.
19 comments:
Awesome!!! So... I think it is time to change the banner for your blog... ^_^ ...
good point .. Joe .... Congrats Jason .. Congrats ...
Dude, that takes guts. I'm amazed how young you were able to do all of this in high school. I wasn't at a point to accept myself like that, and especially out myself, and in ways you did. Mad props to you :)
Cheers! You could almost say your blog's the "long-form" of the essay, couldn't you?
I actually came out to my management team at work (up through our executive director) via a four sentence email. I spent the entire next day hitting "refresh" waiting for a reply, lol.
I know the precise feeling, lol. Congrats!
Congrats Jason. You're an example to many others.
- Lloyd
Congrats. Hope you get a good grade on it.
congrats jason!
considering the magnitude and implications of the post, it's absolutely hilarious that u'd tag it as homework! good luck :)
I am 15 and been reading your blog from start. I could never comment before. Weird, I know.
What you did really impressed me. It makes me happy inside. Maybe I can come out someday. All I have now is a wank buddy who says he is straight and I say the same thing. I know I am kidding myself, but does he? It is all very confusing. I don't know what to do.
woot! congratulations jason :D
im so happy for u :P
and ide love to read ur essay, if thats ok :P
awww im happy for you! :D that took a lot of guts man, now you can go to the lady gaga concert without fear :] so happy you could die right? LOL
Awesome, well done, I'm so glad because of you, can't wait to see the reactions on coming out. I'm mailing you with the request for the work... Maybe it will help me in some way...
This is one of the most inspirational and awesome coming out stories that I have read. There are so many closeted young guys who would be inspired to read your essay. When everything has blown over at your school, I think you should post it.
--dB
Congrats you have the courage I never had!
Congrats. That's surely not an easy thing to do. I think we all admire your courage.
I agree that you should change the title of your blog (but not the blog address, as that'd make things a tad difficult). Perhaps, "Carwin's Open Closet"? Not too original, I know.
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate them.
@anon: I'm sure that you'll be able to come out someday. When I was your age, I was largely ignoring the issue, and then I proceeded to reject myself for a year. As long as you accept who you are, things will turn out OK.
@andrewbbizzare: YES! that's the idea :)
P.S. I probably will post it sometime in January.
Yr just brilliant and so very determined. I'm completely delighted for you and, yes please, I'd like a copy of your essay, when you've a moment to spare.
michaelluke70@googlemail.com or use the links on Kieran or Smutty Stuff.
I am very interested in reading this essay.
My email is Marky.sharky000@gmail.com
I look forward to reading it!
Congrats on your next big step.
I vote for a new title "Carwin Out Of The Closet"
:)
Jason!
I think it's quite courageous of you to come out so completely to your school!
Not many would ever think to do that. I'm 13 years older than you and still haven't told all of my family I'm gay. So to announce it to an entire class, and in turn, have them spread the "news" to the rest of the school takes real guts!
You better get an A+!! LOL
-Dean
Post a Comment