Friday, December 4, 2009

Reactions to Coming Out

By 11:45 I had gotten one text and 2 replies to the post. The texter informed me that my essay had made her cry. The two replies said something to the effect of “this was the most powerful/meaningful essay from this project. You are so brave. Congrats.”

By now, my Facebook has been inundated with support and I have received several emails from classmates. Also, people at school continually stopped me while I walked around to congratulate me and tell me about how brave I am. Everyone showed support. I have yet to receive one negative word.

I think at least 12 people told me that my essay made them cry. I think they were all girls though. Also, I did not think that the essay was very well written. I guess the ideas behind the essay made them feel emotional.

I received so many hugs, and I guess it was a little annoying. Some people are just awkward huggers. :) I don't really like attention for the sake of attention, but I did appreciate it when someone said they read my essay and referenced something from it. I know a lot of people just skimmed it, but a few actually read the whole thing, and I was happy with them.

I am so happy about how things turned out. I can finally speak my mind and share how I feel. I no longer have to self censor myself. I don't have to worry about how I appear. I'm free from all of it. It's a feeling unlike any other.

By now, I think everyone in my grade knows, and I expect the whole school to know by Monday. The essay has traveled beyond the AP English classes. Even some parents have read it.

At noon, My parents found out that I had come out at school, which is annoying because I didn't get a chance to warn them. I guess some parents emailed them with messages of support. We talked about it just now, and it was an interesting discussion. I'll write about it tomorrow.

11 comments:

Aek said...

Wow. News seems to have spread almost unnaturally fast. o_O

Joey said...

Jason, I am encouraged by the support you have received since your essay went up. It gives me hope that our society is changing for the better.

Your courage is still something that inspires me and leaves me in complete and utter awe.

Anonymous said...

Happy for you.

Anonymous said...

cool I will read it later when i'm at laptop

billy said...

It's something your school community will always remember. Your testimony will help your generation really understand the experience of gay people. It will make a difference. Put up with the attention and the awkward hugs, it's a measure of your impact. Well done, you've achieved something to be proud of.

Steevo said...

So smile at the young guys/lower graders who look at u and u think they r thinking "I wish I was THAT brave!" cuz I am sure those at your school and OL readers r out there reading and re-reading yer post and feeling a bit less crushed by their own closet.

congrats again... "work" the attention for all its worth to make people think! Thats how norms change. Your story will be told and retold by many alumni for many years to come.

And then maybe someday when we r old and feeble the story fade and will die a nice natural death cuz it's not at all remarkable anymore and gay kids would read it and wonder WTF is he talking about?

I wonder if the teacher will want to discuss all this in class and let u hear what others want to say to u.

s

Masahiro said...

aww, I'm so glad that this turned out well. And I hope that everyone is fortunate to have the same experience as you did.

It's victory stories like this that make me want to completely come out and just say it.
But given my circumstances and living in a republican dominant area, It's not so keen to do so.

I'm very happy for you!

Jason Carwin said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was saddened to hear about those who cannot come out because of the circumstances around them. I feel terrible, and almost guilty that my school was so accepting whereas other areas are not. However, I am confident that times will change, and I hope that you guys will be able to come out, whether it means waiting or moving.

NG said...

Congrats!

Now that you're out, you'll soon discover people who'll want to push you back in.

LOL!

Anonymous said...

Dude, good for you. I'm sooooo happy for you that things worked out pretty well. It took me years to finally be ok with myself, and only then could I talk about it with other. I'm in my third year of college, and I finally feel comfortable with myself (happened in the past few months)... so, unlike me, be sure to take advantage of the best years of your life. I wish you the best of luck in the continuation and development of this coming out journey.

-GTG1

Dean Grey said...

This is great news, Jason!

I'm really surprised that you didn't receive any type of negative reaction....at all!

Perhaps things are changing for the better!

-Dean