I work as a lifeguard and swim instructor at 2 different pools. On Saturday, I worked at one of the pools and taught swim lessons there. My coworkers are really cool, and we all get along really well. Yesterday, they decided they wanted to find me a girlfriend.
I really hate it when this sort of thing happens. Now I have to bat away questions about why I don't want a girlfriend. I wish I could make up some story about just getting out of a relationship, but my twin brother would call me out on it.
I am not going to tell them I am gay because I am totally not ready for that. Plus, I don't know what they'd think. For some reason, some people have connected homosexuality with pedophilia, and I teach little kids to swim, so things might not go over well.
I actually am concerned that if I came out, I could lose my job. The organization I work for is conservative, and I don't think they'd like me very much if I came out. Plus, I think some of the parents would freak out.
That just got me thinking about how unfair life can be for gay people. If parents think I'm straight, then it's totally OK if I teach their kids, but as soon as I come out, they think I must be touching their children. After all, what is a gay guy doing working as a lifeguard? Isn't he a little far from the theater?
Tonight I work at the other pool. At this pool, I only lifeguard. No swim lessons. On top of that, this pool is frequented by a different crowd. While the first pool is mainly small children, this pool is mostly older teens and young adults.
When watching the large pool, we are also responsible for watching the diving board. To be quite honest, I rather like watching the large pool, especially when people are diving. The divers are almost always a group of very hot 18 to 20 year old guys showing off their abilities for the handful of girls that will watch. Fortunately, I get to enjoy the show. =]
7 comments:
haha that's good.
I know what you mean about the risk in coming out. People are almost paranoid about pedophilia. It makes sense to be concerned about protecting children, but it is unfair that some people assume that every gay person is a potential pedophile but they don't assume that every straight guy is a risk for abusing little girls.
So you are probably wise to stay in the closet at this point. It does make it awkward to have to deal with the attempts to set you up with a girl. As a last resort, you could occasionally go out with someone they suggest and then discover that the spark just wasn't there. It's not too unfair to the girl if you don't let it go beyond one (or max, two) date(s).
I haven't swam in years. I kind of miss the pool. :-/
It's weird to think homosexuality would be associated with pedophilia, such is the world we currently live in. You could say you're just too busy with other things to be in a relationship - that usually works well for me.
Of course homosexuality is associated with pedophilia! We're sick perverts, remember? We stop at nothing to satisfy our deviant sexual appetites! I, for example, have had just short of TWO sex partners in the last 20 years!
It's disgusting that, when something like one in five little girls is molested, people are afraid all gay men will touch boys but are fine with straight men being around girls.
Yep, you guys are totally right. The world we live in is sometimes sickening. I think I may post tomorrow about why I think these crazy stereotypes have been created.
Being asked about girlfriends or girls in general is really annoying, even if the others mean it only in a funny way. I know the feeling that you just want to stop them talking about it, but you can't give a reason for it (especially not the true reason) because it would raise suspicion.
And hey, if I wasn't that afraid of water, I'd love to have your job. :D
I accidentally stumbled upon your blog & I want to tell you that you're a great guy! Don't ever believe otherwise.Being gay is never easy but it's preferable to being inauthentic & untrue to yourself.Stay strong & if you ever need to talk,email me.Take care,Jason !
Post a Comment