Sunday, July 26, 2009

Code Brown and the LA Times

So, we had a Code Brown at work the other day. For those of you that cannot figure out what this means, let's just say that someone had an accident in the pool.

I was guarding the large pool, and this group of kids came up and said they thought someone had pooed in the pool. I looked where they were pointing, and was about 99% sure it was sand (the pool is close to the beach, so people sometimes come into the pool after the beach and drag sand in).

A few minutes later, an adult came up and said he saw the incident and that he was pretty sure that it was poo. He said that it had drifted out to the middle of the pool. Unfortunately, I could not see what was at the bottom of the pool out there because it was too far.

I informed my coworkers and manager, and my manager said that one of us needed to go in and verify. Upon hearing this, I instantly touched my nose and called, “nose goes.” One of my coworkers caught on quick, and he got to his nose way before the third, and losing, guard got there. I feel a bit bad, but I figure that it was an every-man-for-himself situation.

Anyways, he went down and verified it. My manager told him to take a shower, and then the rest of cleared the pool, kept people out, and poured 4 gallons of chlorine in.

The pool was closed for the rest of the night, which is a lifeguard's dream. I've always wanted a Code Brown to take place right before my shift started so we would only have to guard one pool. Unfortunately, this one occurred about 20 minutes before my shift was to end, so I didn't get to enjoy any of the benefits.




In unrelated news, I have decided that the LA Times has gone completely down the tubes. The other day, the Dow broke 9000, which is big news. This was the major headline on the Wall Street Journal.

Meanwhile, the LA Times front page ran a story about Smokey the Bear. It devoted a whole 2'' x 2'' square to mentioning the Dow. Breaking 9000 is a big deal. It is especially important because it was driven by strong profit reports, so it was based on real success rather than speculated success. But no, the LA Times deemed that Smokey the Bear was more important.

I read the WSJ as my main newspaper, but it too isn't perfect. I remember that when Michael Jackson died, they devoted a 4'' x 4'' box to mentioning his death and ran a couple of lame stories about random stuff.

The WSJ is nice because it doesn't get bogged down in the unimportant stuff of politics, but it sometimes fails to report on significant stories that are not related to the markets.I also like the Personal Journal in the WSJ. Walt Mossberg is pretty much my favorite writer (he writes the technology reviews).

2 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Clever name for it: Code Brown.

The thing about newspapers is they have to get people to buy them. So the question of what's really important has to be balanced by the question of what will people buy the paper to read. Of course, the readers aren't all the same — a much less homogeneous group for the LA Times than for the WSJ. But a good paper will cover the important stuff as well as the celebrity-driven and sensational.

Jason Carwin said...

It is also interesting to note that the WSJ is not really a regional paper. It doesn't deal with local issues at all, which is good and bad. It stays on really important stuff, but I sometimes miss important local info.