Monday, July 27, 2009

Dinner with a (not) Friend


So, one of the big questions I'm dealing with right now is how to deal with people. I'm not talking about dealing with people I have just met or dealing with people in a professional sense. I'm talking about dealing with people that I hate.

The context for this is going out to dinner:

My friend just invited me to go to dinner with a mutual “friend.” This mutual “friend” was my friend a while ago, but recent events have changed my opinion of her. I will go into that later as it would take a whole new post.

Anyways, I really don't want to go to this dinner because I do not enjoy being around this mutual “friend.” I also know that the friend who invited me does not like being around her either, and I am only going in order to keep him company(he also exerted a lot of pressure, and I could come up with no excuse not to go).

I don't understand why I have to waste my time with people I don't enjoy being around. I'm not going to be rude to the people who I find annoying, but I don't see the need to pretend to be their best friend. I think it's more cruel to pretend to be close friends than it is to be openly mean. It's wrong to send misleading signals.

Of course, it is always difficult to find the right way to act. I usually act civil around these kinds of people, because I don't want to be mean, but I know that some people interpret acting civil as being equivalent to acting mean.

Oh, the woes of a high school social life.


In unrelated news, someone on Twitter, @ChrisLimon, introduced me to this song. I really like it (and I think the lead singer is kind of hot).

7 comments:

idkwhatsthat said...

Oh yeah he is

Chris said...

Glad you like the song, and yeah he is kind of hot!

Joe Jordan said...

woes of social life... lol... this is just the start for you, i guess... after4-5 years, it will become a routine that u wont even know it... trust me...

me too 100% agree that he is hawwwttt!!!

naturgesetz said...

Not sure exactly what "acting civil" means to you, but unless somebody is hypersensitive, they shouldn't feel a chill from you. Part of adult life is dealing pleasantly with people you don't really care for. You don't have to pretend you're their best friend, just that you're comfortable around them. You'll get the knack. It's what makes being acquainted with people who have other acquaintances tolerable for all concerned.

It's good that you've agreed to go to dinner. What I'm wondering is how your real friend got stuck in this engagement if he doesn't like here either.

Jason Carwin said...

For me, civil is being friendly but not being "best friend" friendly. I can maintain a conversation, but at times I will let the conversation die. This is not out of rudeness, but usually just out of lack of things to say.

Part if the problem is that the people I find annoying are the super-drama girls that LOVE to blow things out of proportion. I think the actually like pretending to be hurt/angry.

My friend doesn't really stand up for himself much. He is way to nice to say no, so I just went with him because I knew he didnt want to be alone with her.

Jason Carwin said...

oh, and btw, I showed the pic to a friend and he said that the guy reminded him of the Jizz in my Pants actor. I also found that guy to be really hot. :D

Chris said...

The Jizz In My Pants guy is hot in that video, but not in other stuff.