I have traveled a fair bit in my life, and whenever I meet someone from somewhere else, I ask them if I have an accent. Usually, the answer is no, which always disappoints me. Occasionally, someone says that I do have an accent, and then I make them imitate my accent, which is always a lot of fun.
I always wondered why many people thought I had no accent. I decided that the news media and Hollywood use my accent, so it has become the General American accent, and my research showed that this is partly true.
However, my research taught me something I didn't previously know. The accent that I think of as the California Accent actually has its roots in the Midwest. Apparantly, large numbers of Midwesterners emigrated to California after WWI (I'm thinking probably because of the Depression and Dust Bowl). They brought their accent with them, and it soon became integrated into California's main accent.
Interestingly enough, most Midwestern states have continued developing their own accent in the meantime, so at this point, they sound distinctly different. Also, California has incorporated other forms of English because there are so many immigrants here.
The California dialect is certainly full of foreign words that have been adopted by English. I know one term, “hapa,” which is Hawaiian meaning “half,” is often used to described people of mized ancestry. I am hapa, and I am half white and half Asian/islander.
Of course, many Spanish words have become incorporated into English, and this is true for the entire South. For example, the word “rodeo.” Usually, Americans pronounce it wrong, as is the case with “rodeo.” However, we do pronounce “Rodeo Drive” correctly, which is interesting.
In fact, most of the cities in Southern California are Spanish names, and of course, we pronounce them all wrong.
e.g.:
Los Angeles = City of Angels, ought to be pronounced like “Loes Ahn-hell-es”
So, question to the readers: Where are you from? Do you have an accent? If so, what is unique about it and what do you think about accents?
Here is a cool video that I found on YouTube about accents. How accurate do you think she is? I know she got the California one down perfectly (although I would have thrown in a few "like"s):
13 comments:
Adopting words from other cultures is different from having a distinct accent. In terms of deviating from the norm, California really has nothing on places like Boston, New Orleans, and Long Island.
just sayinnnnnn
I think Amy Walker did well with the accents I know.
My basic accent is Eastern New England. There are differences from Ted Kennedy's version of a Boston accent, and there are one or two elements that might be a dead giveaway for my home town to a well-trained linguist who was expert on Eastern New England. But I'm afraid that the influence of the movies and the telly and the mobility of our society are flattening out the differences. I don't notice children with the strong features in their accents that were noticeable in those born in my generation and earlier.
BTW Los Angeles is a shortening of the original name of the city. As wiki notes, "Los Angeles was founded September 4, 1781, by Spanish governor Felipe de Neve as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of the river of Porziuncola)." Our Lady of the Angels is a title under which the VIrgin Mary has been venerated by the Franciscans.
Tangent: In Verdi's opera "La Forza del Destino" the two main characters end up, unbeknownst to eac other at a Franciscan monastery of Santa María de los Ángeles in Hornachuelos, Andalusia — she as a hermit in the hills and he as a friar. There is a great scene where the monks pray that the Virgin of the Angels will protect the heroine in her new life as a hermit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_gePf_Srw&feature=related
I'm from the Midwest. I've been told I have a much less pronounced Midwestern accent compared to most. There's a subtle blending of some vowels that're more distinct in other accents.
For example, my friend from New York distinguishes "Mary" "Merry" and "Marry." There really isn't much of a distinction between those three in the Midwest.
Naturgesetz, I didn't know that about the long name of Los Angeles. What a mouthful!
Also, I noticed that the Franciscan Order seems to have had some degree of influence in California, seeing as they were related with LA and of course San Francisco. Where they the main order out here converting the Indians?
Aek, I also don't distinguish between Mary, Merry, and Marry. :)
Yeah, the Franciscans were the principal order in California. Probably the most famous was Junípero Serra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junípero_Serra
The wiki article notes some difficulty with the civil authorities. In general the missionaries tried to obtain more lenient treatment for the native populations than the military authorities were inclined to give. That's relative, of course.
I pronounce Mary, merry and marry very distinctly.
My mother once met a man who was a scholar of linguistics and accents who said that accents were so distinct he could tell where someone was from within a 200 mile radius just by listening to them talk. He was accurate in identifying the place of her birth. I think modern mobility may have changed things somewhat. If you want to contrast extreme local accents, compare the almost Elizabethan ones of the barrier islands of Virginia and North Carolina with the mountain accents of those states. (The purest mountain singing I have ever heard is that of the bluegrass giant Ralph Stanley.) And it is amazing how people from New Orleans sound a lot like people from New York City. I think the most melodious Southern accent is that of the people from central and western Tennessee. By the way, there really is a classic California accent that is distinguishable from the accents of the Mid West.
My compliments on a fascinating post.
I like the new avatar picture. I am sure I don't need to tell you that you are handsome.
I spent 3 years in California in the Air Force. I am from the south and they made fun of me for my accent. I did my best to lose it. When I returned to the south for graduate school, a fellow student asked me if I was from Alabama. Being from South Carolina, I was insulted. I guess a southern accent is hard to lose.
The women in the video I think she did sound like a true Texas person, FYI I live in Iowa and haven' been to Texas, and her Seattle, Washington sounds like some people here in Iowa too
Although I lived in Los Angeles for my preschool yrs., I adopted a manhattanite accent, which, so I was told, gets down south in to the Bayous of Louisiana, we I get drunk. :-)probably owed to my wallon/french heritage. Propz Pilgrim
I am an 1/4indian-3/4(equal parts swedish and brit) born and raised here. unlike others in my family, i learnt several indian languages , never learnt swedish nor had any interest for it while growing up. so i can change accents and switch languages at the blink of an eye... my english is southern at home and upstate-NY @ work...
Jason
like NG i am from new england where the pilgrims landed and i alwas thought we had the proper accent here and the rest of you screwed it up as they moved away from here lol
hope all is well
take care and be safe
bob
This was a really interesting post and that video was cool watching her do all those accents. I'm from California and am Hispanic but no one can really tell. I am told (and agree) that I have a regular Californian accent and not a Spanish one unless i'm really mad sometimes it happens to come out!
And props on the new avatar pic it does show you're handsome and you can't tell that you are half Asian either.
This was a really interesting post and that video was cool watching her do all those accents. I'm from California and am Hispanic but no one can really tell. I am told (and agree) that I have a regular Californian accent and not a Spanish one unless i'm really mad sometimes it happens to come out!
And props on the new avatar pic it does show you're handsome and you can't tell that you are half Asian either.
Post a Comment