Friday, February 19, 2010

Skater Butts

Has anyone else but me noticed that the male figure skaters have huge butts?

My friends and I had a Johnny Weir party to watch the Men's Short Program, and we all noticed that these men are well endowed in the buttocks region.

I guess it makes sense: These men are known for jumping, twirling, and going in and out of squatting positions. Their ass muscles need to be huge to handle all that:

Evan Lysacek of the USA


Plushenko of Russia. This guy is super arrogant, but my friends and I think he's hilarious because he's so cocky.


My friends and I also enjoyed studying the outfits of the figure skaters. These outfits are so funny. Here is the outfit of a Swiss skater, Stefane Lambiel. We dubbed him “The Viking.”





Even though we made fun of his outfit, we loved his routine. He does this hand flick when he spins and it makes a cool effect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Figure skater hater here. The legs are in play in many winter sports - hence lots of good butts in Vancouver. The skater that I'd like to hook up with? JR Celski!

J said...

The problem with figure skating is that its rules reward programatic athleticism rather than art. Giving medals to people for their jumping ability is like rewarding a dog for begging, or a seal for balancing a ball on its nose. There is no reward for the delicacy of Johnny Weir's gesticulation, or the kaleidoscopic creativity of Lambeil's spins. Those two were the only true artists on the ice this week, and neither medaled. On a purely technical level Weir may indeed have been robbed, probably because he opened his mouth a few too many times to the press. In their place the judges lionized two stick-armed acrobats. Weir and Lambiel are frequently described as balletic in their execution. Now, if only we judged skaters as we do dancers!
I'll keep watching Weir's reality show, because he is intellectually, physically and artisticly beautiful. I know of no stronger endorsement in life.

Aek said...

Interesting to note that the gluteus maximus is a very important muscle, as if it's small and weak, one would find difficult to stand up from a seated position without the use of arms for support. So I suppose it makes sense that they'd have to have strong butts, as without strong butts, they'd collapse each time they landed from one of those jumps/spins things.

cvn70 said...

Jason

Im not a big figure skater fan myself but yeah i agree these guys are muscular and not only in the thighs and butts :)

hope all is well take care and be safe

bob