Thursday, February 11, 2010

Look, Homosexuals!

I went to my best (female) friend's water polo game today, and so I made a sign. In fact, my entire group of friends made several signs. The one I held said “I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me” with an additional add-on of “I like you a lot lot, think you're really hot hot.”

Now, being a self-centered homosexual (aren't we all?) I naturally assumed that everyone around me would know exactly where these phrases come from: Of course Lady Gaga.

But no. I was wrong.

During half-time, one of the referees came up to make small-talk. I have no idea why he chose me. Maybe he thought I looked friendly, which is strange because I'm pretty sure I exude judgmentalness, you know, the Regina George kind.

The ref looked at my sign and commented, “Your sign doesn't specify anyone on the team,” to which I responded, “It's for all of them!”

He quipped, “What? Are you just going for whatever you can get?”

“In some cases, yes, but these ladies aren't really my type.” My friends all laughed, and bewildered, he wandered off to commence the third quarter.

Looking back on it, he probably had no idea I was gay. In fact, he may still be confused. I'll never understand how oblivious heterosexuals can be. They seem to think that homos simply don't exist. On the other hand, I walk around assuming that someone queer is walking nearby, and all I have to do is find him.

I wonder if that ref ever figured it out. It really isn't that hard:

Male Teen + Sitting With Girls + Lady Gaga Lyrics + Ladies aren't his type = Oh. My. God. Fag!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually water polo team parents and the organization are wary of homosexuals attending meets to scope out the players. They will come up to people they deem suspicious and make small talk, and if they have been taking photographs, ask to see them. Seems that they are sensitive to the photos ending up on the internet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love your sense of humor, man.

Oliver said...

LOL!! :D

Aek said...

That's rather amusing. :-P

Eye said...

someone sometime said something like "you see in others what you are"... or something like that... Well i guess it applies

J said...

He thought you might be a stalker/gawker. What threw him off was the fact that all of your crowd laughed at him. You're way outside his orbit, and his comfort zone.

Tyler said...

O_O i didnt know those were gaga lyrics

eek

*goes back to gay school*

:P

Jason Carwin said...

Nah, he didn't think I was a stalker. I was clearly a student, and I was sitting in the student cheering section along with 3 other students who all had signs.

Random Thinker said...

That's funny, but not everyone knows Lady Gaga lyrics - especially in the context of sign waving at a female polo match...

I'm sure he got the message though, so give the guy a break, and next time put a little rainbow in the corner.

D. said...

hahah that's pretty funny. props to the lady gaga lyrics :D

the whole "heteros don't know homos exist" thing has a lot to do with the "heteronormative" society that we live.

which is why it's good to be open with people and let them know we exist... but also be careful about your own safety.

i've taken a gender and sexuality class so there's a lot of info on this topic out there :)